Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Independence 1.2.2 is out

iPhone? More like MyPhone StrictlyBusiness's Avatar
    Thanks

Im hearing if you use it aint you havent upgraded to the new firmware you will be a proud owner of a complimentary iBRICK

Quote Originally Posted by kadeboer View Post
    So, I figured how to add third-party apps to 1.1.1. After you do the jailbreak and all that in Independence, go to the Customize section of Independence and add AppTapp to the apps. You can do that by right clicking on AppTapp and click "Show Contents of Package." In there, click on "Resources" and then drag and drop "Installer.app" into your application list in customize. From there you gotta SSH in Terminal. Here are the instructions including what I just mentioned above from iphonealley.com.

Download Nullriver's AppTapp
    Right click or control click AppTapp Installer and click "Show Package Contents". Navigate to Contents>Resources
    Using the FTP application, copy Installer.app from the Resources folder into the Applications folder on your iPhone
    Back in the terminal, SSH into your iPhone again (if you're not already), give the comand chmod -Rf +x /Applications/ and hit return.
    Slide to unlock your iPhone then type /Applications/Installer.app/Installer and hit return to launch Installer.
    After AppTapp opens, press control+c to close it
    Open Safari on iPhone and navigate to http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/beta
    Tap yes to add it to Installer
    Back in terminal, using ssh, type /Applications/Installer.app/Installer and hit return to launch Installer again.
    Install Trip1PogoStick located under the "System" category to enable scrolling and applications.
    When you're done, reboot the iPhone and close all your windows. You now have AppTapp.
    How do you open an ssh dialoge in termial? how do I get that started?

thanks

Ok I did the above steps, I got installer on my 1.1.1 phone, but now I have a few issues. Youtube is not working (I still have my bookmarks but cant connect to the rest of youtube) also I can see the old apps I had in 1.0.2 like todo list and customize in SSH (FuGu) but they are not on my phone, Also I now have the summberboard pref icon but when I click on it nothing happens I just get a blank screen. anythoughts?

thanks
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2007-10-16 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quoting Independence 1.2.3 Help

Using iNdependence with Firmware 1.0.2 and Earlier
    To activate your phone:

Ensure that there is a SIM card in your phone (otherwise activation will fail).
    Download any of the following iPhone firmware files from Apple:
    Firmware version 1.0
    Firmware version 1.0.1
    Firmware version 1.0.2
    It doesn't matter which one, they all work equally well.
    If your web browser didn't automatically decompress it to a folder, then change the file extension from .ipsw to .zip and unzip it yourself.
    Launch iNdependence.
    Select the Activation tab and press the Activate Phone button.
    You'll be prompted to choose the directory where you unzipped the firmware files.
    If you get an error message saying Error entering recovery mode then quit iNdependence, restart it, and try again.
    Wait for the success message. Note that the activation process will also enable YouTube for you.
    Note that if your phone was previously jailbroken, activating it this way will return it to jail again.

To jailbreak your phone:

Download any of the following iPhone firmware files from Apple:
    Firmware version 1.0
    Firmware version 1.0.1
    Firmware version 1.0.2
    It doesn't matter which one, they all work equally well.
    If your web browser didn't automatically decompress it to a folder, then change the file extension from .ipsw to .zip and unzip it yourself.
    Launch iNdependence.
    Select the Jailbreak tab and press the Perform Jailbreak button.
    You'll be prompted to choose the directory where you unzipped the firmware files.
    If the screen on the phone hasn't changed to show the Apple logo after 30 seconds, then it means that iNdependence has failed to put the phone into recovery mode (and is frozen). Force quit iNdependence, relaunch it, and start at step 5 again.
    Wait for the success message.
    To upgrade to 1.1.1 so that you can activate/jailbreak your phone:
    Please note that if you have used anySIM or other free SIM unlocking solutions (anything except for the iPhoneSimFree solution), and you upgrade to 1.1.1, it will wipe out the SIM unlock and render the phone and text message part of your phone inoperable. Everything else will still work though.

Ensure that your phone is activated.
    Ensure that your phone is jailbroken.
    Ensure that SSH is installed on your phone (see instructions below).
    Ensure that your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network (read the iPhone manual for instructions on how to set up Wi-Fi).
    Get the IP address for your phone by launching the Settings application on the phone, navigating to Wi-Fi and pressing the blue arrow beside the name of the Wi-Fi network that your phone is connected to.
    Select the Firmware tab and press the Pre 1.1.1 Upgrade button.
    Enter the IP address of the phone and the root password (see below for the default root password if you didn't change it).
    Follow the instructions given in the dialog windows. If iNdependence gives you a message about editing the ~/.ssh/known_hosts file, choose the Yes option.
    Once you are told to upgrade using iTunes, quit iNdependence, and select the Update button in the iTunes window (not the Restore button).
    Wait for iTunes to finish.
    Quit iTunes and relaunch iNdependence. In the status bar at the bottom of the iNdependence window you should see Firmware 1.1.1.
    Congratulations! You are now ready to activate/jailbreak your phone using the 1.1.1 instructions.
    Please note that you should not use iTunes with your phone at this point. Your phone is in a state that iTunes is not expecting and it will report that you only have 300 MB of disk space if you use it. Wait until you have completed activation or jailbreak to use your phone with iTunes again.

SSH and beyond
    Installing SSH is a breeze once your phone is jailbroken. Just choose the SSH tab and press the Install SSH/SCP/SFTP button. Then follow the instructions.

The default accounts on the phone are:

username: root
    password: dottie

username: mobile
    password: alpine

Remember to change the default passwords after installing SSH using the Change Password button. I'm not responsible if someone hacks your phone.

Customization
    The Customize tab uses a Finder-style interface and allows for drag and drop installation of ringtones, wallpapers, and applications. It also has preview images for wallpapers and application icons. You can also use the Add and Delete buttons.

Please note that in order to install/remove applications, you'll need to have SSH installed on the phone as you'll be asked for the phone's IP address and root password.

To find the phone's IP address, launch the Settings application, navigate to "Wi-Fi" and press the blue arrow beside the name of the Wi-Fi network that your phone is connected to.

Also note that ringtones must be MPEG-4 audio (.m4a) files as the file chooser will only allow you to choose .m4a files. Wallpapers must be 2 PNG (.png) files (the main image and the thumbnail image). The wallpaper image sizes I use are 320x480 for the main image and 75x75 for the thumbnail image. These seem to work well for me.

Quoting iNdependence Help

Using iNdependence with Firmware 1.1.1
    iNdependence cannot activate or jailbreak a phone which has the stock version of the 1.1.1 firmware on it. In order to use the functionality in iNdependence, you must first downgrade to 1.0.2, then perform a special upgrade back to 1.1.1. Instructions are included below.

To downgrade the firmware on your phone if you are using 1.1.1:
    Please note that you can skip this if you are already using 1.0.2.

First, check the firmware version that's reported in the status line at the bottom of the iNdependence window. If it doesn't say 1.1.1 then you don't need to downgrade.
    Download the 1.0.2 firmware from Apple.
    If you changed the file extension of the firmware file in the previous step to .zip, then change it back to .ipsw again.
    Launch iNdependence.
    Select the Firmware tab and press the Enter DFU Mode button.
    If you get an error message saying Error entering recovery mode then quit iNdependence, restart it, and try again.
    After you see the success message, click OK and then quit iNdependence.
    Launch iTunes. You should see a message saying that iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode .... Press the OK button.
    Now, hold down the Option key while you click the Restore button in iTunes.
    You should then be presented with a file chooser dialog. Select the .ipsw file from the previous step.
    iTunes should then begin to restore the firmware on your phone. This will take a while.
    You will get a message from iTunes at the end saying that the iPhone could not be restored. This is normal (and expected). The restore actually worked fine, but the error is shown because the modem firmware could not be downgraded (which is ok).
    You should now see a yellow triangle on the screen of your iPhone, and iTunes telling you that you need to restore again. Don't do this!
    Quit iTunes and then launch iNdependence again.
    iNdependence will kick the phone out of recovery mode and after a few seconds you should see the main screen with Activate iPhone message on it.
    Congratulations! You've successfully downgraded your phone to firmware 1.0.2.

To upgrade to 1.1.1 so that you can activate/jailbreak your phone:
    Please note that if you have used anySIM or other free SIM unlocking solutions (anything except for the iPhoneSimFree solution), and you upgrade to 1.1.1, it will wipe out the SIM unlock and render the phone and text message part of your phone inoperable. Everything else will still work though.

Check the firmware version that's reported in the status line at the bottom of the iNdependence window. If it doesn't say 1.0.2 (or lower) then you'll need to downgrade your firmware using the instructions above.
    Activate your phone using the 1.0.2 activation instructions.
    Jailbreak your phone using the 1.0.2 jailbreak instructions.
    Install SSH on your phone using the instructions below.
    Ensure that your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network (read the iPhone manual for instructions on how to set up Wi-Fi).
    Get the IP address for your phone by launching the Settings application on the phone, navigating to Wi-Fi and pressing the blue arrow beside the name of the Wi-Fi network that your phone is connected to.
    Select the Firmware tab and press the Pre 1.1.1 Upgrade button.
    Enter the IP address of the phone and the root password (see below for the default root password if you didn't change it).
    Follow the instructions given in the dialog windows. If iNdependence gives you a message about editing the ~/.ssh/known_hosts file, choose the Yes option.
    Once you are told to upgrade using iTunes, quit iNdependence, and select the Update button in the iTunes window (not the Restore button).
    Wait for iTunes to finish.
    Quit iTunes and relaunch iNdependence. In the status bar at the bottom of the iNdependence window you should see Firmware 1.1.1.
    Congratulations! You are now ready to activate/jailbreak your phone using the instructions below.
    Please note that you should not use iTunes with your phone at this point. Your phone is in a state that iTunes is not expecting and it will report that you only have 300 MB of disk space if you use it. Wait until you have completed activation or jailbreak to use your phone with iTunes again.

To activate your phone:

Ensure that you've upgraded to 1.1.1 using the special upgrade method mentioned above.
    Select the Activation tab and press the Activate Phone button.
    You should see a message saying Waiting for jail break.... Please be patient as it will take a while to do this. It may appear that iNdependence is locked up, but it's not, it's just working very hard.
    Wait for the success message. Note that the activation process will also enable YouTube for you.
    To jailbreak your phone:
    Note that this will be done automatically if you activate with 1.1.1.

Ensure that you've upgraded to 1.1.1 using the special upgrade method mentioned above.
    Select the Jailbreak tab and press the Perform Jailbreak button.
    You should see a message saying Waiting for jail break.... Please be patient as it will take a while to do this. It may appear that iNdependence is locked up, but it's not, it's just working very hard.
    Wait for the success message.
    SSH and beyond
    Installing SSH is a breeze once your phone is jailbroken. Just choose the SSH tab and press the Install SSH/SCP/SFTP button. Then follow the instructions.

The default accounts on the phone are:

username: root
    password: dottie

username: mobile
    password: alpine

Remember to change the default passwords after installing SSH using the Change Password button. I'm not responsible if someone hacks your phone.

Customization
    The Customize tab uses a Finder-style interface and allows for drag and drop installation of ringtones, wallpapers, and applications. It also has preview images for wallpapers and application icons. You can also use the Add and Delete buttons.

Please note that in order to install/remove applications, you'll need to have SSH installed on the phone as you'll be asked for the phone's IP address and root password.

To find the phone's IP address, launch the Settings application, navigate to "Wi-Fi" and press the blue arrow beside the name of the Wi-Fi network that your phone is connected to.

Also note that ringtones must be MPEG-4 audio (.m4r) files as the file chooser will only allow you to choose .m4r files. Wallpapers must be 2 PNG (.png) files (the main image and the thumbnail image). The wallpaper image sizes I use are 320x480 for the main image and 75x75 for the thumbnail image. These seem to work well for me.
    Last edited by muccaeppollo; 2007-10-16 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The Following User Says Thank You to muccaeppollo For This Useful Post:

yowiphone (2007-10-19)

tahts for that guide..i just did all the following steps but when i insert my tmobile simcard i get this invalid sim error, what should i do so i can use my tmobile sim...the phone has been downgraded,jailbroken and all..Just how do i use mysim..
    any help will beappreciated/thanked

I followed the instructions exactly to ugprade from 1.0.2 jailbroken to 1.1.1 jailbroken. The phone works and I have installer and my apps running great, but I have some problems.

1. Youtube does not work. I can access any videos I previously bookmarked but cannot search for new videos.
    Edit: I fixed the Youtube problem by following these instructions: http://www.ging.co.nz/youtube.php

2. While I have installer on there, I had to uninstall and reinstall apps for them to show up in the springboard even though they are listed as installed in the installer. I am unable to uninstall summerboard due to a script error. When I tried to reinstall some of the apps I get a Package file size mismatch. Others works fine.

Edit: I have gotten some of these problems worked out. I ftp'd into the iPhone and deleted some leftover folders from uninstalling apps and then those apps were able to be reinstalled from installer. However, I still cannot uninstall Summerboard.

Any thoughts on these issues? Note I used Independence 1.2.3, which should have activated youtube automatically.
    Last edited by ReidWings; 2007-10-16 at 06:25 PM. Reason: fixed Youtube, working on app problems

do yall have anything for windows yet?

"The restore actually worked fine, but the error is shown because the modem firmware could not be downgraded (which is ok)."
    I've got a factory state 1.1.1 phone so i will do all this stuff to down, and then upgrade again to 1.1.1, but how can i unlock the sim from it's factory state lock? (with factory state modem fw of course)

Default 1.0.2 Looks great
    Yeah i'm lovin 1.0.2 right about now and im patient. Jesus Crimmeny

Default Apptap install according to iPhonealley
    kadeboer wrote - "Open Safari on iPhone and navigate to http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/beta"

I can't get Safari to download file. Anyone else?

Default ssh the iphone
    To ssh your phone, open up Terminal and type:
    ssh -l root IP ADDRESS
    So, an example would be: ssh -l root 192.168.3.456
    Use spaces as I have typed them above. After you type that, wait a minute while it authenticates the address, then type "yes" when asked, and the password which is "alpine" for 1.1.1. That will get you sshing your iphone.

You have to make sure you open Installer before you go to the website....so go to Installer, let it load the repositories then press the home button or if you're in SSH with it, press Ctrl+C then open Safari and go to the website.Now it should work. If you don't open Installer first, it won't recognize it as an Installer file.
    Last edited by kadeboer; 2007-10-16 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kadeboer For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (2007-10-17)

When I downgrade to 1.0.2 can I just stay there and install installer????

Quote Originally Posted by korndog View Post
    kadeboer wrote - "Open Safari on iPhone and navigate to http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/beta"

I can't get Safari to download file. Anyone else?
    install Installer.app first, the url is not where you get Installer.app, its where you get a repository to add to Installer.app to prepare 1.02 and then fix the springboard with 1.1.1
    Dear iPhone 3.0.
    Please keep me from buying a Palm Pre.

Thanks,
    GLOD!

yesssssss!!!! I have 1.1.1 on my simfree iPhone!!!!!!

Amazing, thank you, who-ever makes independence you are a freaking master!

Now I can fritter away all my money downloading songs from the iTunes Mobile Store.....

Quote Originally Posted by pilot25dmc View Post
    yesssssss!!!! I have 1.1.1 on my simfree iPhone!!!!!!

Amazing, thank you, who-ever makes independence you are a freaking master!

Now I can fritter away all my money downloading songs from the iTunes Mobile Store.....
    Does itunes show that the capacity if your iphone is 300mb? If not, what did you do?

I and others are having this problem. Anyone know what to do? The help section from independence did not touch on this, so i dont know what i need to delete if anything. I ftp'd to the phone just to look around, but of course i didnt know what i needed to do.

Thanks in advance.

Oh dear!

I followed the instructions that where posted on page 6 of this thread.

Once you have updated your iPhone to 1.1.1 DO NOT let the iPhone
    re-connect with iTunes!! You must then re-open iNdependence and ACTIVATE the iPhone. After you have fake activated it you can then
    re-open iTunes and it will show the proper amount of storage space.

Once iTunes had finished the 1.1.1 update and the iPhone had got to the "ACTIVATE WITH ITUNES" screen I quit iTunes before it had a chance to
    re-connect to the iPhone and re-opened iNdependence and fake activated it, took about 3 minutes and I have had no problems.

Whats happened with you is that you let iTunes re-connect to the iPhone after the update before you had a chance to fake activate it.

Just to show I am not talking out of my *** here is a picture I took that shows my o2 sim in my phone and the updated iTunes Music Store icon.

I have over 1.44GB still available and I am running a week "33" iPhone.

Here is a shot of the Music Store in operation....

Last edited by pilot25dmc; 2007-10-17 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by pilot25dmc View Post
    Oh dear!

I followed the instructions that where posted on page 6 of this thread.

Once you have updated your iPhone to 1.1.1 DO NOT let the iPhone
    re-connect with iTunes!! You must then re-open iNdependence and ACTIVATE the iPhone. After you have fake activated it you can then
    re-open iTunes and it will show the proper amount of storage space.

Once iTunes had finished the 1.1.1 update and the iPhone had got to the "ACTIVATE WITH ITUNES" screen I quit iTunes before it had a chance to
    re-connect to the iPhone and re-opened iNdependence and fake activated it, took about 3 minutes and I have had no problems.

Whats happened with you is that you let iTunes re-connect to the iPhone after the update before you had a chance to fake activate it.

Just to show I am not talking out of my *** here is a picture I took that shows my o2 sim in my phone and the updated iTunes Music Store icon.

I have over 1.44GB still available and I am running a week "33" iPhone.
    You used 1.2.3 evidently. I used 1.2.2, which had slighty different instructions:

"Please note that you should not use iTunes with your phone at this point. Your phone is in a state that iTunes is not expecting. Once you have completed activation or jailbreak, you need to install SSH (see instructions below) and then use the Post 1.1.1 Upgrade button in the Firmware tab to restore your phone to the condition that iTunes expects it to be in."

1.2.3 doesnt have that post 1.1.1 upgrade function. I posted on the independence board and was told that this storage capacity problem was fixed in 1.2.3.

But anyway, i managed to fix it w/out starting over and using 1.2.3. I'll be making a new thread so people dont have to keep making threads incase they are to lazy to go through this one.

Thanks though for replying and posting pics.

Edit:

I'll just post what i did to reclaim my space here too:

If you have a Mac, using Fugo:

http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

Log into your iphone using the following: Username - root, Password - alpine (unless of course you changed the password). Port 22.

Then you should see - 2 folders - Library & Mediabackup, as well as 1 file - Media with a black arrow in front of it.

Rename the "Media" file to "Media_sym" and then rename the "Mediabackup" folder to "Media".

Then disconnect from fugo. When you load itunes back up, you should see you have 7.3gb of space left. You can go to settings on your iphone and under General you should see the same, along with the available space being 7.3gb.

You can probally delete the "Media" file that you see initially, but i decided to just rename it for right now just to be on the safe side. Most of the guides say to use ssh commands in terminal to delete it, but i couldnt get ssh working like the guides, so ftp'ing into the iphone was alot easier.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Rebelatheart; 2007-10-17 at 06:23 AM. Reason: addition

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

Windows version.. please? :/

yeah, I used 1.2.3, have not checked this site in a few days and was amazed when I saw the new iNdependence was available.

It was really really easy to do aswell. The new version of iNdependence has made it pretty straight forward to unlock any software version.

All I did was plug my phone in, open iTunes, wait for it to find the iPhone and then closed iTunes. Started iNdependence and Jailbroke the phone. I then Installed the SSH on the phone. After re-starting the phone twice (as directed) I performed the pre-1.1.1 upgrade, this required me to enter my phones i.p. address and password "dottie". This took about 3 minutes and then after 2 more re-sets (as directed) it told me to update the iPhone with the 1.1.1 fimrware in iTunes. After the update I closed iTunes and re-started iNdependence and used the "Activate iPhone" tab and after 2 more re-sets (as directed) the iPhone was updated and was able to read my o2 sim card with out any problems. Youtube works, iTunes Music Store works, it all works!

Really happy.

Thank you modmyi.com & DevTeam, I have been reading this website for past 1 weeks, and finally, my new virgin iphone (should be 1.1.1) landed yesterday.

I am on PC guys, totally zero on Mac or OSX, so really need baby step.
    1. open and charged my new iphone
    2. download itunes 743 and connect to my Win XP and activate my iphone
    3. download .NET Framework 3.0
    4. download touchFree and install iNdependence v1.2.3.dmg ??how??
    5. go straight to activate 1st then 2nd jailbreak ??how??
    6. download anysim 1.1 and install ??how??

Please help as I got this for my wife, did not want to give her a US$400 BRICK

I keep getting an error message that says "Couldn't connect to SSH server. Ensure IP address is correct, phone is connected to a network, and SSH is installed correctly."

I have activated and jailbroken my 1.0.2 phone, and installed SSH. I am connected to an active network (I made sure in Safari) and double checked my IP.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast