Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Locked US iPhone in Canada

Default Locked US iPhone in Canada
    I have a LOCKED US iPhone 3GS with AT&T GoPhone service (I only get 100MB data a month ), So I am wondering if I can factory reset the phone and have it work with Rogers since it is an official carrier? If not, I have an unlocked USB data card that will suit fine. So my other question is how do I setup a Rogers Pay As You Go account with a US address?
    Last edited by varlos; 2010-06-01 at 06:35 AM.

You have to unlock the phone to use another carriers SIM card. It doesn't matter if they also carry the iphone or not. If it's not AT&T you need to unlock.

Also Rogers does not sell prepaid data accounts. Nobody in Canada does except for Wind mobile and they only have coverage in a few cities on the AWS 3G frequencies (Same as Tmobile 3G). Wind is brand new and only built a 3G network so you cannot use an AT&T phone on edge with them since there is no edge equipment at Wind. You CAN use AT&T compatible equipment with either Telus, Bell or Rogers in Canada if it is unlocked. Telus and Bell also do not have any edge service but have a large footprint.

All of these 3 major national companies own "value" brands that you may see. Rogers owns Fido, Bell owns Virgin and Solo, Telus owns Koodo.

Prepaid in Canada is usually voice services only. No smart phones, no data sticks. If you just want cheapish voice service you can get a prepaid service from a 7/11 convenience store when you arrive in Canada which runs on the Rogers network. Buy the cheap phone, sell it when you are done on ebay.
    The Unofficial 7-Eleven Speak Out Wireless Canada Consumer Page
    Speak Out

Check what kind of roaming rate you can get with AT&T first. They may be able to put you on a package that includes roaming in Canada which is about the same price as a prepaid phone in Canada. If you have a grandfathered plan with AT&T that you couldn't switch back to when you get back home that may be a reason not to make changes though.