Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: do iphones on orange (uk) have orange specific firmware

Default do iphones on orange (uk) have orange specific firmware
    Hi all,

I have a 3G on 3.1.3 that was previously on o2 and is now not unlockable (5.09 bootloader)

my question is when I restore to stock 3.1.3 why does an orange sim card (orange are now a supported uk provider) not work? It says invalid sim?

I did activate it using an o2 sim. Could this be the cause?

Thanks

i have just read something saying that orange iphones are locked to orange and o2 and locked to o2, therefore they have different hardware. Can anyone confirm this?
    Last edited by tikigod19; 2010-04-04 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

they dont have diff hardware at all, and there is no different in firmwares

your phone is locked to o2, and you are putting a orange sim in? what did you expect lol?

u need to get your phone unlocked, either via o2 (or orange)

or via blacksn0w etc

Like A Boss

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Basically, unless your model is either factory unlocked or officially unlocked, they will only work with the carrier they are locked to (in this case, Orange,) as you updated to 3.1.3 firmware, and more importantly 05.12.01 baseband. You need to wait for the unlock to be released, as someone has indeed found one but is waiting for either 3.2 or 4.0 firmware to come out, and then you will be able to unlock your iphone and use it with other carriers. There is no difference in hardware, only a different as to which carrier you can use with it.
    Last edited by xdz; 2010-04-04 at 10:35 PM. Reason: *difference

Happy with an iPhone. No iPad needed.

ah right thanks, i didnt realise they were locked to a network out of the box, I just thought it was when they were activated.

Have had to sell the phone now and going to have to try to look out for one on the other network

Really rather angry I upgraded (after reading "3.1.3 can now be unlocked" everywhere...)