Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: changing official carriers

Default changing official carriers
    I have an AT&T locked iphone 3G 3.1.3 firmware 5.12.07.
    I would like to use it in Panama with the official iPhone carrier, MoviStar.
    Is this possible?

thanks,

Thanks

hmmm, good question

Thanks

The servers in Panama are claro, digicel, movistar, and cableandwireless if you use the international package you pay 1.99 per minute. if not, you pay 2.29. Text messages are 50 cents apiece.

The answer to the base question is yes!
    Have fun, and although texting is cheaper, if you have spent THAT much money to get there, do NOT be one of thoes cheap bas%&^ds who say,"I have to keep this short, i don't have a lot of money left." You should either talk like a normal person, or don't call at all! NOBODY believes that you have 2,850 dollars for a plane ticket and only fifty cents for a phone call!
    My 50 cents worth
    unklbyl

Quote Originally Posted by unklbyl View Post
    The servers in Panama are claro, digicel, movistar, and cableandwireless if you use the international package you pay 1.99 per minute. if not, you pay 2.29. Text messages are 50 cents apiece.

The answer to the base question is yes!
    Have fun, and although texting is cheaper, if you have spent THAT much money to get there, do NOT be one of thoes cheap bas%&^ds who say,"I have to keep this short, i don't have a lot of money left." You should either talk like a normal person, or don't call at all! NOBODY believes that you have 2,850 dollars for a plane ticket and only fifty cents for a phone call!
    My 50 cents worth
    unklbyl
    Sorry, you have misunderstood my question. My fault for not being clearer.
    My question does not relate to the cost of International Roaming.
    I also have an unlocked iPhone which I swap out with Digicell, C&W, and MoviStar sim chips.
    That's not what I'm asking.

I want to know if I can change my AT&T locked iPhone to a MoviStar iPhone - not just use it as a US iPhone in another country.

not sure what was meant at the end of the message about the cost of the plane ticket - fore me, it's about $90 each way.

Thanks

OK my bad. I live in Germany with the ARMY. costs a little more from here!
    Here is what I have done, and see if it worx for you. I RESET my GERMAN iphone so it is like new. downloaded itunes for target country, and activated my iphone for target country using chip of my choice. worked for korea AND Germany AND US of A!
    Hope this helps,
    unklbyl

Quote Originally Posted by unklbyl View Post
    [...] downloaded itunes for target country, and activated my iphone for target country using chip of my choice. worked for korea AND Germany AND US of A!
    Hope this helps,
    unklbyl
    You mean, when activating/trying to activate an iPhone, you must use the iTunes version from the same country as from where the sim you try to activate with? I mean, if I have an iPhone that is supposedly a factory unlocked one (but sold in Luxembourg) and I want to activate it with a Orange Romania sim card, I must use the "romanian" version of iTunes to activate in order to work?

Hope I'm being understood

i have a similar problem; bought my 3G 3.1.3 in europe and now in Botswana(Africa) and can't use Orange sim. tried downloading itunes here but i still can not activate the phone.

SoCoast. The answer is no. Iphone 3GS on firmware 3.1.3 and baseband 5.12 is not software unlockable at this time. The ability to JB this version was introduced with software called Spirit a couple of months ago but so far no unlock. It is generally accepted that there will be an unlock released by devteam sometime in June and there are lots of people waiting on it. The timing is associated with apple releasing the new iphone and OS4. They are apparently waiting until that time so that Apple does not have a chance to patch the explot they are using in time for the release.

I have an Iphone 3gs from the UK, its currently running O2Uk and I want to use it with AT&T in the USA, is there a way to do this without unlocking??

Your o2 phone will work with AT&T as a roaming gsm phone with roaming tarrifs. If you want to use an att sim card you must unlock. O2 will unlock the phone for you. Go to their web site search unlocking and fill in the form.