Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FIDO - Unlimited Surfing...

Thanks

Default FIDO - Unlimited Surfing...
    Hi Guys & Gals,

Just want to put this forth...

Several months ago, I signed up for the $18 Value Pack from FIDO that gave me 3 months of unlimited EDGE and then after the 3 months, 12MB/month. Also included are 2500 SMS's, MMS, Call Display, Enhanced VM, Who Called, and Name Display (for contacts that are not in your contacts list on your phone, but unfortunately Name Display does not work on the iPhone).

http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/value_packs.shtml

Anyway, at that time there were no limitations to what handset you used to connect to EDGE. Now I notice that they have a new $20 Value Pack (the $18 is now the $16). For $20/month, you have all the options I listed above, PLUS unlimited surfing on your Fido handset. Unfortunately they have now placed limits on what kind of handset can be used and non-Fido certified handsets (which the iPhone falls into) are not eligible.

I imagine that they have a method of tracking what handset you are using to connect to EDGE but was curious to know if there might be a way around it. This unlimited surfing is also offered as a standalone option for a mere CAD7/month!!!

http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/domore/...et.shtml#three

Comments..?

cheers,
    e
    Last edited by echo; 2008-03-12 at 11:40 AM.
    15.4" 2.8GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
    Pwnage Unlocked 16GB iPhone (2.1)
    Apple Unlocked 16GB 3G iPhone (2.2)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's not unlimited web surfing, it's unlimited WAP surfing... which is basically unlimited surfing through the stupid built in browsers on cell phones. Safari / e-mail / google maps is NOT included with this service. You can't use it with iPhone, a blackberry or any other smartphone.

That being said, supposedly people are not getting charged right now, but that's a loophole that they will fix very soon i'm sure... I wouldn't risk it personally. Imagine thinking you have unlimited internet on your iPhone, running through like maybe 100 MB (which you can do easily on iPhone just checking e-mail and using google maps) and then getting billed @ 5 cents / kb? You would have over $5000 in data charges on your bill! And it does say SPECIFICALLY on their website that "non-fido" handsets will be billed at 5 cents / kb, so you wouldn't even have much of an argument when trying to get it taken off your bill!

Check this post for more info: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58381
    If my post was helpful to you, hit the thanks button!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ASar08 For This Useful Post:

chillypbear (2008-05-14), echo (2008-03-12)

Thanks

[QUOTE=ASar08;374841]It's not unlimited web surfing, it's unlimited WAP surfing... which is basically unlimited surfing through the stupid built in browsers on cell phones. Safari / e-mail / google maps is NOT included with this service. You can't use it with iPhone, a blackberry or any other smartphone.[QUOTE]

Quite correct. Surfing is not Data.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

chillypbear (2008-05-14)

Thanks

I'm glad you guys made the distinction between the 2. I however, did get unlimited data (my bills do not have huge data charges) as I believe I signed up for a previous Value pack that has been "grandfathered" and no longer offered. However my 3 months of unlimited data is up at the end of April. Its a pity that I have been in Asia the last month and have not been able to enjoy it. At least the unlimited data package here is not too bad (equivalent of CAD30/month). C'est La Vie.

cheers,
    e
    Last edited by echo; 2008-03-12 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks

The $18 value pack and the $20 value pack are completely different. The $18 value pack included 12 MB of DATA, and as a promotion, they gave you UNLIMITED data for 4 months. The $20 value pack includes unlimited WAP, not data. It's a completely different deal. Personally, I would stick with the $18 pack if they will let you. The internet access included with the $20 value pack isn't really useful for an iPhone user.

Thanks

Ya, I think as long as I don't change it I get to keep the $18 Value Pack. Its like my mobile plan. I have Fido Canada Unlimited, a plan which they don't offer anymore. I get unlimited local calling across Canada plus 850 minutes of Can/US long distance a month for $75/month. They had that plan when Rogers was going to buy them. It was to drive up the numbers of their subscribership and as long as I don't change my plan, I can keep it indefinitely.

Thanks

That's cool... I didn't know they offered a Canada wide plan. I don't think I'd really use the long distance though. I have City Fido Unlimited in Toronto. I also signed up right before Rogers bought them, and they still honour the plan. $45 / month for unlimited local calling with no system access fee / no contract. I will NEVER give up this plan!