Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G Data or EDGE Data truth

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3G Data or EDGE Data truth
    I live in Vancouver, Canada and subscribe to FIDO for my iphone plan which includes 500MB of Data.

If I turn on EDGE only, I get Voice and Data connectivity.
    If I turn on 3G only, I get Voice but not Data, IP is never assigned.
    Of course Wifi works fine for Data.

I have seen some questions on the Net regarding this but the answers are not conclusive.

My Iphone is Jailbroken running on 2.2.1. firmware. I use SBSettings to toggle between Wifi and Cellular.
    Last edited by sentinel1075; 2009-06-05 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm throughly confused by your explanation and what information you're looking for. I'll take a shot at it though. With Edge a typical user will get between 50-150Kbs. On 3G a user can expect up to 450Kbs so it's significantly faster. As far as when you turn on 3G and get no data I would have to assume FIDO does not have a compatible 3G network much like T-Mobile's incompatibility in the USA. 3G in itself is not carrier specific unless it is being broadcast on an odd frequency that the iPhone is not designed to receive.

I believe Fido use 850 so a no go for 3G on the iPhone - but weren't they bought by Rogers? Rogers do use 2100 so if you can use their network you would be OK.

As for 3G speeds - 3G itself is limited to 384Kbs but the iPhone supports HSDPA. On T-Mobile's HSDPA network I get 2peeds of between 1100 - 1900Kbs.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.