Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fido / Rogers internet options?

ok i was on the phone last night with my service provider and they said go to setting>general>Network>EDGE and in the APN type mobinilweb and it should work .... i did that and when i click on MAPS, You tube, or Even safari i get a message sayin "couldnt activate EDGE"

and my service provider said "ahhhh ... we cant do snything for u, u have to bring us the phone"

so anyone has an answer to that !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The pharaoh View Post
    ok i was on the phone last night with my service provider and they said go to setting>general>Network>EDGE and in the APN type mobinilweb and it should work .... i did that and when i click on MAPS, You tube, or Even safari i get a message sayin "couldnt activate EDGE"

and my service provider said "ahhhh ... we cant do snything for u, u have to bring us the phone"

so anyone has an answer to that !!!
    Who is your provider? For Rogers its:

APN: internet.com
    User: wapuser1
    Pass: wap

Quote Originally Posted by ephonee View Post
    ok so whats the difference between EDGE and WAP (sorry I'm a teenager who has no idea about this crap LOL)
    Actually:

WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) is used as the standard transmission protocol for all wireless devices to access the Internet through GPRS; including Smartphones and PDAs.

EDGE (Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution) is a new protocol which allows faster transmissions using the existing GSM (GPRS) infrastructure.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-03-13 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

BrianT (2008-03-20), The pharaoh (2008-03-22)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just throwing my 2cents worth in.

Rogers is my provider and I have the 500MB data plan. I come NOWHERE near touching that in a month and I use my iPhone daily on EDGE for business (emails, web browsing, etc.)

It is always nice to have anything UNLIMITED, but how many people are going to need that?

Last month for instance was a slow month for me, and I used 50MB +/- of data. Slow for me may be ALOT for an average, non-business user, so I dont know.

Unlimited is nice indeed, but is it necessary? Not at the moment I dont think.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
    Just throwing my 2cents worth in.

Rogers is my provider and I have the 500MB data plan. I come NOWHERE near touching that in a month and I use my iPhone daily on EDGE for business (emails, web browsing, etc.)

It is always nice to have anything UNLIMITED, but how many people are going to need that?

Last month for instance was a slow month for me, and I used 50MB +/- of data. Slow for me may be ALOT for an average, non-business user, so I dont know.

Unlimited is nice indeed, but is it necessary? Not at the moment I dont think.
    Just because you dont need more then 500 doesnt mean the rest of us dont, I used 500 easily in a month watch a bunch of youtube videos, using your map app and surfing the net and checking emails adds up quickily the more important thing about unlimted is not having to worry about going over cause going over would cost huge amounts of money that I dont want to pay for horrible data plans in canada.

Also the 500mb plan is exspensive as hell I am a student I cant afford 65 a month for JUST a data plan I need the phone on top of that so your easily looking at over 100 a month thats ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by iChopPryde View Post
    I am a student I cant afford 65 a month for JUST a data plan I need the phone on top of that so your easily looking at over 100 a month thats ridiculous!
    I feel your pain D:

Thanks

Just to be sure about something... I'm with Rogers and I have a 5Mb/month for my Treo 680... I've just bought an iPhone on ebay today... Does it mean I actually have to call Rogers and let them know ?

Cause, I really don't use data that much... and with wifi, I won't need much more than 5Mb

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knight12 View Post
    Just to be sure about something... I'm with Rogers and I have a 5Mb/month for my Treo 680... I've just bought an iPhone on ebay today... Does it mean I actually have to call Rogers and let them know ?

Cause, I really don't use data that much... and with wifi, I won't need much more than 5Mb
    no rogers doesnt need to know you got an iphone but watch out on an iphone 5mb is absolutely nothing you can maybe check out like 5 webpages thats it for the month if i were you i wouldnt even attempt it just turn edge off with services or bosstools app.

Quote Originally Posted by eekz View Post
    I feel your pain D:
    ya man we should protest outside of rogers or something im sure if a few hundred of us got together and demanded lower data plans they would have to do something cause simply its not fair the rest of the world has affordable data plans and we are stuck with wayyyyyyyyyyy over priced data plans!
    Last edited by iChopPryde; 2008-03-16 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iChopPryde For This Useful Post:

knight12 (2008-03-16)

Thanks

Thanks iChopPryde ! I'll do exactly that... Install Services and turn Edge off till I see what Rogers will present us on March 25... I'll use Wifi ... ;o)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well T-Mobile just got the green light and they are expected to start in Canada in 2009. A long wait, but an option when they get here. Hopefully they drive down the costs, but in Ireland, they carry the iPhone WITHOUT unlimited data, so it appears Apple has bent to this request of the carriers a bit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't know if this is relevant since you are all talking about the unliminted plan but I recently signed up for Fido's new $18 bundle:

The $18 Value Pack includes the new 12 MB Surfing option -- that's up to 3,000 mobile Internet page views per
    month (based on an approximate page size of 4 KB). Also included are the long standing favorites, such as Call
    Display, Enhanced Voice Messaging, Name Display, Who Called, 2,500 sent instant messages and 2,500 sent text
    messages.
    Subscribe to a Value Pack now and get your FIRST MONTH FREE! And if you subscribe before February 4, 2008,
    get 4 months of unlimited surfing.

Granted 12MB is nothing on the iPhone but it you use WiFi a lot of use your phone for mainly email and some youtubing its not so bad. (I don't go near installer until I have WiFi!)

The reason I mentioned it was because there is no restriction for the iphone since it's just the EDGE network data plans (I don't know if the unlimited plan has different restrictions). I have been using my free 4 months subscription and when I signed up they never asked me what phone I was using on verified my IMEI number. Everything is working fine.

That has been my experience. I hope it helps some people in making their data plan decisions.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sadly chillypbear, that value pack is no longer offered. I wish it was. I didn't sign up for it when I had the chance cause the idiot at the fido store told me it was for 3G phones only and that edge wasn't included. Obviously it is, but I found that out too late.

The new $20 unlimited surfing option is completely different. It doesn't include "data" it only includes WAP access.

My advice... keep your $18 value pack (or give it to me ) and don't switch to the new "unlimited" $20 value pack, because it isn't unlimited at all.

I'm also disappointed to see no updated rogers PC card plans. There are rumors flying all over the internet that they would announce a new pc card tier system starting at only $15 / month on Mar 18... but I don't see any signs of it. Anybody know what's happening there?
    If my post was helpful to you, hit the thanks button!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ASar08 For This Useful Post:

chillypbear (2008-05-14)

hello pharaoh

i've set the EDGE settings on my Iphone to the following
    APN ------> mobinilweb
    User------> guest
    Pass------> guest

It's working with me and i can download my emails and use Safari even i'm using a software called fring to be online all the day on msn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12