Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Carrier Recommendation for Bringing US iPhone 3G to UK

Default Carrier Recommendation for Bringing US iPhone 3G to UK
    Hi all,

I am US student who will be studying and working abroad for about four months in London. I want to bring my iPhone to the UK and purchase a SIM to use locally, and I am looking for a few recommendations.

Currently, I have a jailbroken 3G iPhone running 2.2.1 on AT&T in the US. My plan was to unlock the phone using yellowsn0w before going to the UK and purchase a SIM there. I figure I'll test the unlock here in the US using a friend's T-Mobile SIM. Once the firmware 3.0 comes out, I will wait until yellowsn0w is updated to the next baseband. Sound like a good plan?

So, which carrier do you guys recommend? I have done some reading about my options (O2, Orange, 3, and Vodaphone), but I feel like I don't have all the information. The big thing is that I want to have a data plan in addition to pay-as-you-go minutes so I can use the web browser and Google maps to navigate the city and surrounding area. I spoke to an O2 representative today, and she told me a needed to buy a special iPhone data plan.

What I am looking for is the best functionality and usability for the cheapest price. In all honestly, I'd prefer an unlimited data plan like I have with AT&T so I don't have to worry about going over, but I understand that might not be possible or fiscally responsible.

Thanks for any help and recommendations of a carrier and an unlocking process.

Sincerely,
    Jordan

Thanks

Check out o2 Simplicity sim. It's a month-to-month contract and it's a pretty good deal. 5 extra for unlimited internet I used it fine on an iphone last year, not sure if o2 are blocking it

Online simplicity 20 SIM Only
    Pay Monthly contract
    1200 texts / 600 mins
    Includes Unlimited Web Bolt On
    To live, you have to lie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redcard For This Useful Post:

jrfarrer (2009-04-21)

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm also traveling to england, but my phone can't be unlocked because it's running the 3.0 baseband. Ill look into that O2 SIM, what are their rates for international calls and texts?

Thanks

Can't you just do a google search and see for youself?

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

I did... their 02 website was down for maintenance. I was wondering if you knew off hand. O_o

Thanks for visiting the O2 Online Shop

Sorry, we are making some enhancements to the Online Shop and the service is temporarily unavailable. Please visit again shortly.

For now, take a look at our mobiles and tariffs or visit the O2 Homepage for more information about our products and services.

Alternatively, to buy now please call 08442 020202 from 8am - 8pm, 7 days a week.
    Last edited by IvanPK; 2009-04-21 at 01:35 AM. Reason: quote

Thanks redcard for your response. If you were using the O2 sim last year, were you using a hardware unlock? If so what were you using?

I was not interested in unlocking my phone until just recently, now know I can't perform a yellowsn0w software unlock because I have the 2.30 baseband and the 5.09 bootloader.

Thanks for the help!

What's Jailbreak? keech_running's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. thats a good deal. thats only like $29 a month.
    i'm in my own little world.