Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is ROGERS boosting the data usage ???

Default Is ROGERS boosting the data usage ???
    sincei got my iphone, ive always used 200-300 MB of my data plan. since they started sending text messages to advise "you have used 80% of your data plan" two months ago, i have been going over my 500mb limit, or so they claim

my phone states ive used 200mb the past couple months and the counter has always been close to exact. my friend has the same issue, though he has a Bold, he always used under 200mb, and now they stated he went over

anyone else experience this? i have a feeling rogers is boosting the data usage somehow when compared to actual usage

Thanks

I have not experienced this at all. Possibly there is an issue with the accuracy of your iPhone data usage counter or you're not resetting it's usage at the start of your billing cycle or you're using more data than in the past. Your usage counter could of also been reset by doing an update or restore via iTunes. Don't be to concerned. Gone are the days of $1000.00 CDN data usage bills from Rogers as they now offer data protection. It's part of the reason for you receiving the SMS data alert. If you were to exceed your data bucket the maximum Rogers would charge on your data bill would be $100.00. Example say you have a $35.00 500 MB value pack and you exceeded your bucket then the most charged on data would be $65.00 ($35.00 MSF + $65.00 overage = $100.00). Which is something no other Canadian telecoms currently offer.
    Last edited by imagine engine; 2009-03-29 at 06:34 AM.

i reset it on the beginning of the cycle date..... my concern is more along the lines of i supposedly go over my 500mb with a few days left in the month when i know im not anywhere near....my usage went down compared to when i first got it, yet the bills state im using double now!? my friend also experienced this, was just checking to see if there was anyone else

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Spend $5 more and get the 1 gig plan!!! No more going over..

Quote Originally Posted by iPh0wned View Post
    i reset it on the beginning of the cycle date..... my concern is more along the lines of i supposedly go over my 500mb with a few days left in the month when i know im not anywhere near....my usage went down compared to when i first got it, yet the bills state im using double now!? my friend also experienced this, was just checking to see if there was anyone else

have you fixed this problem yet? because the same thing has been happening to me and it keeps getting worse. this month, i only used up 40mb before i got the texts, so i called rogers and had my internet disabled for the rest of the month.

Thanks

My friend told me that Rogers is offering the 6GB data plan for $30 again. The only catch is that it's
    not advertised, so you have to call Rogers and ask for it.

I've had the 6GB one since last July and I've never come close to going over

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xwinger View Post
    My friend told me that Rogers is offering the 6GB data plan for $30 again. The only catch is that it's
    not advertised, so you have to call Rogers and ask for it.

I've had the 6GB one since last July and I've never come close to going over
    It's advertised on Rogers website but a little difficult to find due to their recent site redesign. The promotion is available for any Smartphone excluding the Blackberry line. Originally it was launched for the HTC Dream & Magic and for the upcoming iPhone 3GS but they've expanded support for all Smartphones, just not Blackberry. The data plan requires renewing the term 36 months on the voice plan and comes with a data cancellation fee of $100.00 if removed in the 36 month term. It's only necessary for those that tether as most will be okay using 500 MB such as in the $35.00 500 MB iPhone Value Pack (also 36 month term and data cancellation fee $100.00).

SOHO: MacBook Pro, iMac, Maya, Shake, FCS 2, iLife, iWork, Office, Time Capsule, iPhone 3G 16GB