Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlimited Data on your iPhone on Fido & Rogers: Bogus?

Wink Reverse phone # lookup
    I did a reverse # lookup for both the names listed on the ip config for rogers/fido, ie. - shawn and michael - shawn comes up correctly http://www.whitepages.ca/search/Reve...caltime=survey
    , but michael(on craigslist) comes up as a land line belonging to Fido Solutions in Montreal http://www.whitepages.ca/search/Reve...caltime=survey
    I wonder who is trying to discredit whom.
    I plan on calling Shawn tomorrow and let all of you know the outcome.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

sweet thanks man please let us know all the details surrounding this!

Thanks for all this and let us know!
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!

Thanks

I was just thinking that this has to be a scam because think about it, when you visit a website and theres picture is has to download the pictures, well why are you allowed to visit yahoo.com and load the pictures yet you cant use google maps which all you are doing is loading the images? that doesnt make any sense to me, i understand about using youtube but other then that it just doesnt make sense they cant tell the difference between image downloading its all just your usage they check up on.

Default really?
    ok, so how do i get my phone to u so this can happen? im in kitchener, ontario canada. where are you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1212joel View Post
    ok, so how do i get my phone to u so this can happen? im in kitchener, ontario canada. where are you?

haha dude I am from Cambridge I didnt think someone in the GTA other then me had an iPhone thats cool haha and also I think this thing he is talking about is a scam!

so changing the IMEI and using the proxy hack won't work for this plan?

Neat... Didn't realize there was a whole thread about me. In any case, I'm Shawn, and I am not making profit on this anymore. I have realized that the beauty of the iPhone is that it is open source and if people like geohot released unlocking methods freely, then it is wrong to charge for any help. The method is EXACTLY the same as the T-Zones hack (freely available from installer), and adding an extra step to changing the proxy IP to Fido's (205.151.11.11). Very easy to do, and a quick Google of 'shawnie53' will outline the method. I do not guarantee that it will work anymore due to the IMEI filtering coming into play on April 15th. (source: hackintosh.org) If anyone has questions, feel free to call me at 514-585-0085.

All the best.

Thanks
    Hey guys, I signed up for the unlimited data plan on Fido last month. This is the 7$ plan... I'm not sure how much I'm going to be billed but I will let you know. I haven't tried using youtube and the installer, but I browse, surf checked my email using edge. I even chat via the Chat application or via eBuddy... Anyway, all I'm saying is that I will let you know if I get billed for all the surfing that I did. Just to settle this once and for all, I'm also curious. Anyhow, I didn't change anything on my edge settings, just put the Fido APN which is fido.internet.ca, the agent I talked with told me that I will have unlimited internet/edge usage. I figured that since iPhone uses edge, there is no harm in trying. Its just that the iphone's browser is more advanced than a regular phone, but it still uses EDGE right? I will let you know... Because if I get slapped with a huge bill, I'm going to call Fido to block the data and edge asap... So, I'm crossing my fingers right now. Wish me luck!
    Smile!!!
    Version 1.1.2 Updated
    Sim Unlocked

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Yes It WOrk!!!
    Ok I can confirm it works I have been doing it for 3 months now..

it does involve changing your imei and adding the correct proxy servers and you can do whatever you want I can watch youtube, weather, gmail, any website you name it I've done it..

I started by only using 5 megs, then 25 and then last month 55.. not additional charge other then 7 bucks..

Now understand that you have to change your imei to a rogers or fido phone that is edge and is wap 2.0... and you are good to go... there is a thread about this posted on hackin'tosh .. search for my thread this as confirmed months ago.. =)

Lighter

Quote Originally Posted by carrie0227 View Post
    Hey guys, I signed up for the unlimited data plan on Fido last month. This is the 7$ plan... I'm not sure how much I'm going to be billed but I will let you know. I haven't tried using youtube and the installer, but I browse, surf checked my email using edge. I even chat via the Chat application or via eBuddy... Anyway, all I'm saying is that I will let you know if I get billed for all the surfing that I did. Just to settle this once and for all, I'm also curious. Anyhow, I didn't change anything on my edge settings, just put the Fido APN which is fido.internet.ca, the agent I talked with told me that I will have unlimited internet/edge usage. I figured that since iPhone uses edge, there is no harm in trying. Its just that the iphone's browser is more advanced than a regular phone, but it still uses EDGE right? I will let you know... Because if I get slapped with a huge bill, I'm going to call Fido to block the data and edge asap... So, I'm crossing my fingers right now. Wish me luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lighter For This Useful Post:

carrie0227 (2008-04-28)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post

it does involve changing your imei and adding the correct proxy servers and you can do whatever you want I can watch youtube, weather, gmail, any website you name it I've done it..

I started by only using 5 megs, then 25 and then last month 55.. not additional charge other then 7 bucks..

Now understand that you have to change your imei to a rogers or fido phone that is edge and is wap 2.0... and you are good to go... there is a thread about this posted on hackin'tosh .. search for my thread this as confirmed months ago.. =)

Lighter

Hey thanks for the confirmation. Still dont have my bill yet. And I am a bit confused on your reply. What do you mean by changing the imei and correct proxy servers. I didn't change anything on my phone, just put in the correct APN and I have been using edge on and off since.

I have a bit of background in using WAP and EDGE enabled phones before and I figured that if the iphone is using edge and most phones are using the same... there would be no problems on the iphones since its using EDGE too. Nothing really special, only the browser and the way the datas are being handled by the device itself is making the difference, right? Do I need to change anything on my iphone to get the unlimited surfing working for me without being charged?

Anyway, I glanced at my previous bill on Fido after I signed in on unlimited data surfing.

1 Tue MAR 18 OD 158.00 7.90
    2 Sat MAR 29 OD 3.00 0.15
    3 Fri APR 11 KB 2,202.00 0.00
    Total 2,363.00 8.05

If you will notice, I was charged before April 11, I signed up for the value pack on April 10 and started using it after midnight by surfing different sites to see how much I will be billed. I was not charged for the 2,202 kb I used that one time. But was charged on the days that I haven't signed up for the pack yet.

Anyway, in my past experience on WAP, I used to have a wap enabled phone in the Philippines when wap and gprs browsing was still free hehehe... I used to download tons of applications, ringtones and would chat a lot on different free wapsites and I was never charged since the site is free. Unless of course you download from the network's site where they charge you for every game you wish to download. I figured that if I have unlimited data surfing on my account, since you tube and the internet sites i am browsing or downloading from is free, why would Fido charge me. They don't own the site and I have unlimited surfing in my account, right? The installer too is free, so if I decide to download from it, as long as the installer is free, there is no reason for fido to charge me. I also came to conclusion that when you are surfing, its also the same thing since you are downloading data from the net to your phone. Well, its just me and my thoughts.. Still wating for my next bill and crossing my fingers.
    Smile!!!
    Version 1.1.2 Updated
    Sim Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by carrie0227 View Post
    I am on that fido plan as well. Can you show me how to configure the VPN, APN, etc in order to send and receive email and access to internet iusing edge?

Much appreciated.

Paul

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Here is the info: Keep in mind, if you didn't sign up for a limited or unlimited data plan, you will be charged $0.05 per kb used.

APN: internet.fido.ca
    username: fido
    password: fido

You do not need to configure anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post

Lighter
    Can you expand on how to change the imei and what to do the configure the wap? I am on a fido network and signed up for the unlimited data plan as well. Like many others, my concern is whther or not they will come back and charge me for the data used because of my iphone is obviously not a fio certified phone.

I can't locate the hackin'tosh site - any changes of pasting the link up here?

Much appreciated.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by chillypbear View Post
    Here is the info: Keep in mind, if you didn't sign up for a limited or unlimited data plan, you will be charged $0.05 per kb used.

APN: internet.fido.ca
    username: fido
    password: fido

You do not need to configure anything else.
    Thanks - but "lighter" talks about something like changing the imei. Do you happen to know anything about it? Should I be worried about it?

Thanks again.

Paul
    Last edited by paulclo; 2008-06-10 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

sorry Paul, I don't know anything about changing the imei. I'd rather not have the surprise and have wifi at home and at work so i don't need an unlimited plan. hopefully someone will be able to explain it to everyone.

But I heard something about mail auto-refreshing, and costing a HUGE amoun (5c per kb)

is this true?

Are there any "auto-refreshing" apps that can cost you a fortune (even with the 7 dollar plan)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    But I heard something about mail auto-refreshing, and costing a HUGE amoun (5c per kb)

is this true?

Are there any "auto-refreshing" apps that can cost you a fortune (even with the 7 dollar plan)?
    You can see my questions about this issue above. Regardless, I used the ZiPhone to change my IMEI to my Fido handset's IMEI (so that Fido will see that I am using a Fido certified phone) and used the EDGE and programmed internet.fido.ca for internet and mail, I got chagred $50.00 in just about 30 minutes use. I called Fido and they told me that I must only surf the WAP approved sites - I cannot click on links, download from any sites, or use email, or I would be charged. I am totally confused and have given up using it.

I don't know if it will make any difference if I use the wap.fido.ca, but I am unable to program the wap.fido.ca anyway, as I don't know what to put in the Secret Section in the VPN. I don't een know if I should program the VPN at all.

Hope someone else could hlep.

Paul

So has anyone actually gotten this to work?

Quote Originally Posted by paulclo View Post
    You can see my questions about this issue above. Regardless, I used the ZiPhone to change my IMEI to my Fido handset's IMEI (so that Fido will see that I am using a Fido certified phone) and used the EDGE and programmed internet.fido.ca for internet and mail, I got chagred $50.00 in just about 30 minutes use. I called Fido and they told me that I must only surf the WAP approved sites - I cannot click on links, download from any sites, or use email, or I would be charged. I am totally confused and have given up using it.

I don't know if it will make any difference if I use the wap.fido.ca, but I am unable to program the wap.fido.ca anyway, as I don't know what to put in the Secret Section in the VPN. I don't een know if I should program the VPN at all.

Hope someone else could hlep.

Paul

Smile It can work I have done it with blackberry!
    OK not saying that my experience is with the iPhone but I can say that this does work.

I have prepaid Rogers right now and to start off I got the minimum $10 top-up deducting $7 for the unlimited web browsing, also I started of with a basic phone Sony Ericsson K800.

I put the sim card in, called in for activation, got my unlimited web browsing, then hung up and called back to get data customer service, I asked them to add the blackberry.net APN settings, now come the hard part.. I was warned that this wouldn't work, I said I understand but I would still like it added please, warned again that this will not work and since I am going against their word, they will not refund the $7 for any reason since I was already warned... mmmm k.

Anywho, they added it, thank you, your welcome, I turned off my SE, pop the sim into my BB Curve 8300, turned it on, and seconds after bootup all my internet apps came in...

Now the cool thing is I got lazy and forgot to buy extra time right, even after the reminders that my time is running out, get this, I am currently, unlimited web, email, messenger, download, EVERYTHING, and my balance is zero EXP 01/11/2010. I haven't reload since Jan and I am still using everything, I will be more than happy to provide video proof...

Now on a diff topic, I need some help with my iPhone, seems that for no reason whatsoever the bottom of the screen just doesn't work, I have tried every sensitivity hack you can think of, but now i have figured out that its not only the sensitivity, its the calibration, seems that I have to press above the buttons of choice to get them to work, only problem is I cant answer the phone or text properly.... Any ideas guys, or point in the right direction, thank you so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12