Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EDGE Settings for Airtel on Pwned 2.0 1st Gen Iphone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question EDGE Settings for Airtel on Pwned 2.0 1st Gen Iphone
    Hi all,

My first Post!

I have pwned my 1st Gen 8GB iphone, and upgraded from 1.1.4 to 2.0 using Winpwn 2.0.0.3. Everything is working fine, but I have a problem with EDGE. Though I see the "E" symbol on top of the screen, and I am able to browse websites using EDGE / GPRS, I am not able to see the EDGE settings that were previously available under General - Network - EDGE. Is this how iphone 2.0 works? Does it automatically pick up the EDGE Settings based on the geographic location, or have i goofed up somewhere when I Pwned the iphone?

Please help, I hate to downgrade to 1.1.4 again!!!

Looks to be,i have airtel also and don't have edge settings I don't want to down grade either so been waiting to see if their is going to be a fix!! Also i lost my carrier when i upgraded Rogers here in Canada but fixed that by getting sim on a minimum package off of them.Also i am unable to GPRS Airtel to ACT or DEACT GPRS so need to sort that also.
    Hang in thier i am check everday to find a fix.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Same problem
    Hi there guys. I think I am having the same problem.

I don't think it is necessarily the fault of iPhone OS 2.0. Right now I've just migrated to Airtel postpaid from a Vodafone prepaid (on orders of my company).

Vodafone GPRS access had no trouble working when I upgraded my iPhone from 1.1.4 to 2.0 iPhone firmware. The cellular data settings were still visible under 2.0 and so I had the ability to input the Vodafone APN ("www") and was happy.

When I put the Airtel SIM in, however, the option to view or change the data settings has disappeared.

I put the Vodafone SIM back in and sure enough the data settings have returned!

So it would appear it is the particular combination of the Airtel SIM and iPhone 2.0 firmware.

I see the blue E but everytime I try to access the Internet, I get the "could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service." Now since my connection is brand-new and Airtel seems to be a lot slower with activating GPRS connections than Vodafone, it is entirely possible that this message may be accurate. But since you guys are having similar problems with Airtel accounts that presumably worked, I am not so sure...

So far I just want Vodafone back!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Janus and Harley,

Actually I am able to browse using EDGE (I am subscribed to Mobile Office). It is just that I am not able to see the EDGE settings anywhere. Are you guys able to browse sites or not?

Vijay

Default Airtel, Vodafone supported
    The reason you are not able to view the edge settings is cuz Bharti Airtel and Vodafone India networks are now supported in the 2.0 firmware. The edge settings are automatically applied. That is why you cannot see it in settings. Only in case of unsupported networks do you actually see the setting. Eg) if you pop in a bsnl or idea sim, the edge settings option will automatically show up.
    If you want to disable edge, just install BossPrefs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just activated vodafone mobile connect tday. Recvd the mssg that it has been activated.
    I am on 2.0.1 unlocked not jailbroken. CC kept saying it has been activated Sir.
    In 2.0 i could see cellular setting. In 2.0.1 they werent available. I am guessing vodafone has diff settings for iphone users in india.
    I downloaded iphone configuration utility added a profile with vodafone mobile connect settings . Its working great.

hi there whats the vodafone mobile connect settings in india that i can send from iphone config utility?

Quote Originally Posted by ywnmmsb View Post
    I just activated vodafone mobile connect tday. Recvd the mssg that it has been activated.
    I am on 2.0.1 unlocked not jailbroken. CC kept saying it has been activated Sir.
    In 2.0 i could see cellular setting. In 2.0.1 they werent available. I am guessing vodafone has diff settings for iphone users in india.
    I downloaded iphone configuration utility added a profile with vodafone mobile connect settings . Its working great.
    I made the profile for Vodafone and emailed it to myself, opened it on the iPhone. It isn't working, I think because the utility doesn't let you leave the username and password fields blank, and Vodafone wants them blank. How did you manage to work around this?
    Really want to use 2.0.1 because of the damn battery life and backup times of 2.0. But if I can't get EDGE to work then it's pretty useless.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lightbulb EDGE Settings
    Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for the information. I guess what you say is right. Earlier, since iphone was not supported, I had to enter the settings manually. Now since it is supported, I don't need to enter any settings at all.

I just upgraded to 2.0.1 and also jailbroke my phone. EDGE is working just great!

Vijay

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
    I made the profile for Vodafone and emailed it to myself, opened it on the iPhone. It isn't working, I think because the utility doesn't let you leave the username and password fields blank, and Vodafone wants them blank. How did you manage to work around this?
    Really want to use 2.0.1 because of the damn battery life and backup times of 2.0. But if I can't get EDGE to work then it's pretty useless.
    u just need to enter www as apn
    install the profile.
    restart.
    check if ur edge is activated, whether your using vodafone live or vodafone mobile connect(this works)
    This should work it works in my iphone 2.0.1
    I can email you the settings i have made.
    pm me ur email address.
    Last edited by ywnmmsb; 2008-08-11 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by ywnmmsb View Post
    u just need to enter www as apn
    install the profile.
    restart.
    check if ur edge is activated, whether your using vodafone live or vodafone mobile connect(this works)
    This should work it works in my iphone 2.0.1
    I can email you the settings i have made.
    pm me ur email address.
    I did enter www as apn, but when I left the username and password blank, the iphone refused to allow me to install the .mobileconfig file.

Anyhow, kumdush's tip on this thread worked for me:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/other-c...ml#post1810281

thanks for the help.

FINALLY I GOT MY EDGE SETTINGS TO WORK!!

Now i have found out a way that the edge settings can be changed through sending a config file via email to an id as an attachment which can opened on your iphone.

When you open the attachement it asks you to install this profile. You can then see what the profile contains and install it.

I can email the same for your cellular provider's network. for that you have to send me your

APN Name
    Username if any
    Password if any

Otherwise,

You can do it on your own.

1. Download the following utility from apple website:
    iphone configuration utlity for mac or windows

2. Install it and create a profile

3. Change the APN settings in advanced menu

4. Export the profile to your desktop.

5. Email the attachement to the account that is configured on your iphone as and attachement.

6. Open the attachement on your iphone and install the created profile.

PS: you can also send the file directly from the utility, but i was unable to do so as i didn't understand how to configure the built-in email system of that utility.

In case of any help, please send message to me.

Thanks,

Vikram Sharma

PS you can leave username and password field blank.

Just click inside them once and then the other one.

Do not enter anything and it should work...mine worked.

For idea network it has to be blank
    Last edited by y2vikram; 2008-08-11 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by y2vikram View Post
    FINALLY I GOT MY EDGE SETTINGS TO WORK!!

Now i have found out a way that the edge settings can be changed through sending a config file via email to an id as an attachment which can opened on your iphone.

When you open the attachement it asks you to install this profile. You can then see what the profile contains and install it.

I can email the same for your cellular provider's network. for that you have to send me your

APN Name
    Username if any
    Password if any

Otherwise,

You can do it on your own.

1. Download the following utility from apple website:
    iphone configuration utlity for mac or windows

2. Install it and create a profile

3. Change the APN settings in advanced menu

4. Export the profile to your desktop.

5. Email the attachement to the account that is configured on your iphone as and attachement.

6. Open the attachement on your iphone and install the created profile.

PS: you can also send the file directly from the utility, but i was unable to do so as i didn't understand how to configure the built-in email system of that utility.

In case of any help, please send message to me.

Thanks,

Vikram Sharma

PS you can leave username and password field blank.

Just click inside them once and then the other one.

Do not enter anything and it should work...mine worked.

For idea network it has to be blank
    Hi i am on vodafone network in delhi and have vodafone mobile connect activiated. Today i have upgraded to firmware 2.0.1 from 1.1.4 using WinPwn 2.0.0.4 and everything is fine except EDGE. Can you please mail me the profile on my id, [email protected]. APN is www. Thanks in advance

Default Vodafone Edge
    Hi,

I am also on vodafone post paid delhi and have spent a whole day of frustration trying to edit plist's or configuration profiles but I still cannot get edge to work.

I would be gratful if someone could email me a working configuration or plist

hi friend this is saravanan.
    I have just upgraded my iphone2g to 2.0.1 but i could not see any EDGE settings in my general-network please help me out. my APN address is airtelgprs.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hi vikram,
    this is rohit nagpal here and i'm on vodafone.........using pwned iphone FW 2.1
    i would be really thankful if you e-mail me a profile with the following edge setting:

APN: www
    username: (blank)
    password: (blank)

my e-mail id is: [email protected]

hi vikram,
    this is rohit anand here and i'm on vodafone.........using pwned iphone FW 2.1
    i would be really thankful if you e-mail me a profile with the following edge setting:

APN: www
    username: (blank)
    password: (blank)

my e-mail id is: [email protected]
    Last edited by rohitanand011; 2008-11-21 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by JanusKN View Post
    Hi there guys. I think I am having the same problem.

I don't think it is necessarily the fault of iPhone OS 2.0. Right now I've just migrated to Airtel postpaid from a Vodafone prepaid (on orders of my company).

Vodafone GPRS access had no trouble working when I upgraded my iPhone from 1.1.4 to 2.0 iPhone firmware. The cellular data settings were still visible under 2.0 and so I had the ability to input the Vodafone APN ("www") and was happy.

When I put the Airtel SIM in, however, the option to view or change the data settings has disappeared.

I put the Vodafone SIM back in and sure enough the data settings have returned!

So it would appear it is the particular combination of the Airtel SIM and iPhone 2.0 firmware.

I see the blue E but everytime I try to access the Internet, I get the "could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service." Now since my connection is brand-new and Airtel seems to be a lot slower with activating GPRS connections than Vodafone, it is entirely possible that this message may be accurate. But since you guys are having similar problems with Airtel accounts that presumably worked, I am not so sure...

So far I just want Vodafone back!
    He is right. I have version 1.1.4 and I am also facing the same problem.