Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Visual Voicemail Question?

Default Visual Voicemail Question?
    Ok, 1stly, i saw a guide about OTB 1.1.2 UK jailbreaking, and a solution to VVM & EDGE was this:

=============

If you're using O2 you'll now have an activated, jailbroken iPhone with 1.1.2 firmware (again) and a working phone.

However, VisualVoicemail and EDGE will not work properly - this is easily fixed, simply install BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH using Installer.app and then SSH into the iPhone and type the following two commands;

rm /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.carrier.plist

ln -s /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/O2_UK.plist /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.carrier.plist

rm -f /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Reboot your iPhone, and all going well you'll now have EDGE and VisualVoicemail working again

You now have a 1.1.2 O2-UK iPhone with all the third party apps you could want. Enjoy

found at: iphone-elite

=======

Now my question is this...

I have a US (so AT&T) 1.1.2 OTB on o2-uk pay as you go (TurboSim) jailbroken etc perfectly. I downgraded to 1.1.1, jailbreaked, oktoprep'd upgraded to 1.1.2 jailbreaked again. Now, in doing so, all the international stuff etc has automatically gone to english uk etc, so sms from short number etc are fine, phone number locale is correct as well, international carriers texting me work and do show name, youtube was perfect - no probs (only tried using wifi) but obv visual voicemail doesnt work, -- i never used edge so i dont care about that.

if i use a file browser, the files above do exists in their locations, if i follow the steps etc what are the chances of getting the visual voicemail working on my iphone since im using 02??

any thoughts? since im new to hacking the iphone, if i back up all the files listed above, in theory if i mess it up can i just reset it by copying the backups back over? i dont understand the ln -s (i know its a linking thing but can i reverse what it does??)

actually i think i just clicked the ln -s ... is it basically like the a shortcut in windows for example, eg its creates a file thats a pointer / shortcut to something else? so the file is sitting in a folder but actaully references/points to something else

===========

adding to this question, i dont quite see how the turbosim works, coz my carrier in now set as o2-uk, i figured it'd show at&t....so a part of the phone thinks its at&t, but the carrier part of the phone knows its 02...i suppose it depends where the lock is done. Anyway, i can only assume that the phone tho will still think its AT&T, so could i overwrite the ATT_US.plist with the O2_UK.plist?? or are these just the backups? (since i see tmobile and orange france there)

after lots of soul searching i realise its just not possible without a contract
    Last edited by jtanner; 2007-12-15 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I dont think you will get true VVM working on your phone as o2 dont know you have an iphone.

However I posted this solution for jailbroken unlocked phones for 1.1.1 you might find sections useful for setting up your voicemail button and getting the red badge thing working

http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19794

Good luck and post in the thread if it helps, to keep it alive
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

@ericidle...

thanks for reply, however i'd already answered my question lol - hence my post in the native apps area about a vvm solution similar to those available on the nokia n95 (im aware its a long way off with out an sdk)

my voice mail & badges etc are already working, i sussed that much along time ago!

I still appreciate you trying to help, so thanks for the link, and any n00bies shoud defo check it out