Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhone, travelling to Europe

Default Unlocked iPhone, travelling to Europe
    I have an unlocked iphone 1.1.4, and will be going all over Europe in a week but starting from Germany. I wanted to put in a local sim card because I will be making a lot of calls. 2 Questions:
    1- Any suggestions on pre-paid providers and plans in Germany
    2- Any idea how to get data/edge working when I put in a local sim card? I use T-Mobile in the states and use their edge.

Thanks!
    -JJ

Thanks

I was in Germany back in March. i saw vending machines for local sim cards right on street corners in Munich. My iPhone wasn't unlocked at that point though so didnt try them. From what I have heard, for phone service all you need to do is pop in the sim, not sure about data though.
    You might want to read through this for more info. Looks like data depends on the local carrier. I assume the cost is deducted out of your balance prepaid.Cellular Abroad: Cellular Service Questions and Answers for International Travel

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

thats exatcly what i am doing right now... just download bootneuter over wi-fi if youdidnt have it before (in my case i was already here but i wasnt planning to use my iphone as a phone) then unlock it and inesrt ur sim card..
    and if you are planning on using a prepaid card, are you really going to usedata? its probably expensive :X

Thanks

What I did was actually pay roaming rates for the 2 phone calls back home that I made, sent texts mostly. I invested in the International Data plan as "insurance". I mostly used the iPhone on wifi for internet while I was abroad and the little I did use Edge data fell within the allowance on the international plan.

Hey, Thanks for the advice. So you are using your unlocked iphone and just put in a prepaid sim card and bingo, everything works? what is bootneuter?

Since you are already unlocked and using tmobile. Just purchase a sim card in Germany, pop it in and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by hiflyer; 2008-06-30 at 03:21 AM.