Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Softbank Japan and iPhone

Default Softbank Japan and iPhone
    Softbank has started to take reservation for the iPhone for 5,000 JPY.
    You will get the money back when the iPhone comes and you sign up for a plan.

Also, if you are a NTT DoCoMo user and want to keep the number, one day before, goto DoCoMo shop and get the "phone number portability" option, it will cost 2,500 - 3,000 JPY. then when you get your iPhone and sign up with the SoftBank, the system will cut off DoCoMo service and start Softbank service.

There may be other service charges when canceling DoCoMo service, this depends on your plan. ie, family discount, night time discount plan, etc.

Don't forget to tell DoCoMo they dropped the ball when canceling your service

This was reported in the Japanese news

8GB iPhone 23,040JPY (960JPY month)
    16GB iPhone 34,560JPY (1,440JPY month)
    Data plan for the iPhone 5,985JPY

When I asked the staff at the shop, they would / could not confirm it.
    Softbank has had a long practice of not charging for the phone up front, but over the time of the contract, unlike other Cell providers. It would seem, they are not really pushing current users for contract, but trying to get new users from other carriers.

UPDATE Jun 25:

I am getting reports from friends trying to reserve the phone in the Greater Tokyo Area without success. I reserved my phone outside the greater Tokyo area (Not 23 wards). If you are hitting the same issues, try outside 23-ku (ppl in japan know what that means). Also another rumor, softbank will only be releasing the 8GB on July 11th. Once again, this is not what I heard from the shop I went to. Make sure youre NICE! if you can't speak "keigo" then get someone who CAN!

UPDATE Jun 28:

Reservation for the iPhone has now ended. If you didn't reserve the phone, prepare to queue.

UPDATE Jul 8:

It seems the Black 16GB iphone is limited for some reason. If you are planning on getting one, queue earlier. There is NO promise that 16GB black will be in stock at the store you goto. I have been today July 14 would be a better day for getting the Black one.
    Last edited by rbalfour; 2008-07-08 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Updates Jul 8