Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ROGERS internt (WAP/Wi-Fi/EDGE)

Default ROGERS internt (WAP/Wi-Fi/EDGE)
    OK, so i have an iphone and I'm using rogers service (in Nova Scotia if it makes a difference, but i don t think it does). My Wi-Fi works perfectly, but EDGE and WAP are giving me trouble. I have a communication pack with rogers for txt's voice mail and caller id, but it also includes unlimited web browsing. i understand that what rogers calls web browsing isn't what i think it is, i know they only mean WAP sites. My question is, how do i access WAP sites (that are free for me) when i dont have a wi-fi connection. I assume i have to activate edge, but how do i do that without getting a crazy phone bill?

You can do nothing for that.

If you want, this plan is the only one you can think about it.
    http://your.rogers.com/business/wire...?plan=flexrate
    I think ... I do ... in my utopia ...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=324941&dateline=12156  49304

iPhone? More like MyPhone doogee's Avatar
    Thanks

Been using the $20 Communicate Value pack with all 3rd party apps, unlimited for 3 months now...no charge.

Default mail
    I've been using the wap plan for 2 months now, also no charge. Go rogers

Only issue I've had so far is that I can't check my email using the mail app, only through safari. Makes perfect sense and all since I'm trying to access this via wap. But does anyone have anyway around this so I can check my mail on my iphone on the UL wap plan?

Thanks

Go to Settings -> General -> Network -> EDGE and put in the following:

APN: internet.com
    User: wapuser1
    Password: wap

That will get you connected to EDGE.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

Improvrob (2008-07-17)

Anybody have an issue where EDGE doesn't even show up in settings?
    It used to for me but after my phone screwed up and I had to recover it, EDGE no longer shows up, it is like my phone doesn't recognize the Rogers GSM network anymore?

Great Post...Thanks so much!

Turn Data Roaming OFF. That is now the setting for EDGE.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sasaurus View Post
    Turn Data Roaming OFF. That is now the setting for EDGE.
    Not actually. Turn Data roaming off: is for when you're outside your local network (Rogers) area and do not wish to incur the increased data charges.

That is the only setting you have in v2.0 firmware. There are no more options to manipulate data, which means you can NOT turn Data/Edge off.

According to Apple... that is the setting. (Does not mean that IS the correct setting.)

*IF that does not turn data off then EDGE/DATA can not be turned off and that spells big trouble!

Thanks

This is likely due to what AT&T did in the 1st Gen iPhones, and that is turn the EDGE setting screen off. But it can always be turned back on again, unfortunately we'll have to wait for 2.0 to be jailbroken to do that.

???

I can turn the EDGE Setting to OFF in v1.0. It is not there is the v2.0 firmware. That seems to be the issue.

>Settings > General > Network > EDGE (On or OFF)

Thanks

There is no built in way to turn off EDGE in 1.14 either, it's all done through 3rd party apps like Bossprefs. What I'm referring to with AT&T is the EDGE settings screen, which can be disabled so you cannot enter any EDGE settings. Like I said, once FW 2.0 is jailbroken, there will be a way once again to turn EDGE on/off.

@Eurisko:
    Using internet.com as the apn with the unlimited wap browsing won't work AFAIK. The apns are specific to their function. Goam is for wap, internet is for full html and e-mail and media is for MMS, now that we have the iPhone we also have the core apple apn which I have still to figure out exactly what it does as disabling internet.com and media.com have adverse effects on data usage and visual voice mail. I have a feeling that if people subscribe to unlimited wap browsing for $7 a month or take on a value pack with it and they use internet.com they will be billed $0.05 a KB. If you know more about it let me know as it will make my job easier.
    Regards,
    Alex, Rogers iPhone Technical Support Rep

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedaemon666 View Post
    @Eurisko:
    Using internet.com as the apn with the unlimited wap browsing won't work AFAIK. The apns are specific to their function. Goam is for wap, internet is for full html and e-mail and media is for MMS, now that we have the iPhone we also have the core apple apn which I have still to figure out exactly what it does as disabling internet.com and media.com have adverse effects on data usage and visual voice mail. I have a feeling that if people subscribe to unlimited wap browsing for $7 a month or take on a value pack with it and they use internet.com they will be billed $0.05 a KB. If you know more about it let me know as it will make my job easier.
    If a customer gets a Mobile Navigate plan for an iPhone, they're an idiot, and yes, they'll be charged Data on top of their browsing. If you're using a Rogers 3G iPhone, the APN settings shouldn't be touched. If you're using a 1st Gen iPhone, using internet.com works quite well for any Data package, I used it for 2 years before getting a 3G.

WAP browsing plans and Data plans are quite different monsters. But you should be aware of that.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-09-17 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    If a customer gets a Mobile Navigate plan for an iPhone, they're an idiot, and yes, they'll be charged Data on top of their browsing. If you're using a Rogers 3G iPhone, the APN settings shouldn't be touched. If you're using a 1st Gen iPhone, using internet.com works quite well for any Data package, I used it for 2 years before getting a 3G.

WAP browsing plans and Data plans are quite different monsters. But you should be aware of that.
    But if we can't find the network EDGE settings under FY2.x, how can we be sure about these apn settings on 1st gen iPhones?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aqp2 View Post
    But if we can't find the network EDGE settings under FY2.x, how can we be sure about these apn settings on 1st gen iPhones?
    What you can do is enable the EDGE menu (although on 2.1 its called "Network settings" or some such thing) to allow you to use your own values.

Go into ~/mobile/Library/Preferences and edit com.apple.carrier.plist to include the lines:

< key >AllowEDGEEditing< /key >
    < true/ >

(take out the spaces)

Then reboot your iPhone, go into Settings -> General -> Network and you should see the new menu at the top.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

aqp2 (2008-10-03)

What you can do is enable the EDGE menu (although on 2.1 its called "Network settings" or some such thing) to allow you to use your own values.

Go into ~/mobile/Library/Preferences and edit com.apple.carrier.plist to include the lines:

< key >AllowEDGEEditing< /key >
    < true/ >

(take out the spaces)

Then reboot your iPhone, go into Settings -> General -> Network and you should see the new menu at the top.
    i did that exactly but still nothing there :S

Thanks

Was everything you typed in Case Sensitive? It won't work otherwise.

Was everything you typed in Case Sensitive? It won't work otherwise.
    yes it was.

it ends like this

smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com:25<key>AllowEDGEEditin g</key>
    <true/>

PS:with no spaces in between
    Last edited by sunny416; 2008-10-08 at 06:31 PM. Reason: adding the carrier plist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast