Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone iSync - via WiFi!

  1. #1
    Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    577
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

    Default iPhone iSync - via WiFi!
    http://code.google.com/p/iphone-isync/

    Check it out, this guy has set up an app to basically set up an app to remote sync with any specific folder on your iPhone. Not entirely usefuly yet as a full backup over WiFi tool, but definitely close. Looking forward to more development!

    Gizmodo
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  2. #2
    I could not get this to work at all.

  3. #3
    francis
    Guest
    clem-clone, what happened exactly? Did you get any error messages during the procedure? What version did you use? I've taken a break from development over my college finals but if there are bugs then that's something I'd definitely want to fix...
    Last edited by francis; 2007-12-04 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by francisois View Post
    clem-clone, what happened exactly? Did you get any error messages during the procedure? What version did you use? I've taken a break from development over my college finals but if there are bugs then that's something I'd definitely want to fix...
    latest version. .5
    I am 1.1.1, AT&T, Installer, etc *not* Unlocked.

    dbl-click the /pkg, and it expands to iSync Folder, with an 'AppFiles' folder and 2 alias' that point inside the AppFiles.app to /Contents/MacOS/iSync and 'Toggle' respectively.

    What exactly goes on the iPhone here?

    What is used on the Mac?
    I loaded the Appfiles.app to my Applications folder on the iPhone, and it does nothing.

    Can you detail the correct sets of procedures here?

  5. #5
    francis
    Guest
    ok great, thats easy

    Just double-click the iSync alias in your applications dir and everything should be self-explanatory after that, but basically you fill in some fields and click OK, then you get a terminal window and will have to type your ipods root pass a couple of times. The app gives u instructions as you go through it, so it should be simple enough.

    just to clarify, this is a mac app, it does not have a GUI on your iphone, while the sync process runs on your iphone/itouch you only need services.app to disable openssh and that will basically disable the sync, or you could use the included Toggle app to disable it while keeping openssh running.

    AppFiles.app will do nothing on your mac or on your iphone, it contains the binaries and resources that do all the work, but you need to run them from the iSync and Toggle aliases.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by francisois View Post
    ok great, thats easy

    Just double-click the iSync alias in your applications dir and everything should be self-explanatory after that, but basically you fill in some fields and click OK, then you get a terminal window and will have to type your ipods root pass a couple of times. The app gives u instructions as you go through it, so it should be simple enough.

    just to clarify, this is a mac app, it does not have a GUI on your iphone, while the sync process runs on your iphone/itouch you only need services.app to disable openssh and that will basically disable the sync, or you could use the included Toggle app to disable it while keeping openssh running.

    AppFiles.app will do nothing on your mac or on your iphone, it contains the binaries and resources that do all the work, but you need to run them from the iSync and Toggle aliases.
    did that, dbl-click the iSync alias, and it sez "There is no default application specified to open the document "iSync"

    It points to the UNIX exe, but does nothing

  7. #7
    francis
    Guest
    Now that I find surprising, most macs will execute the alias in terminal. You may have enabled some sort of security measure that prevents aliases from running in terminal. In that case, right click and choose "get info" then set the app to run in terminal. If that doesnt work for you for some reason, then I will tell you where to find the executable for iSync inside appfiles.app so you can run it from there. Just try this solution first and see how it goes.

    Good luck

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by francisois View Post
    Now that I find surprising, most macs will execute the alias in terminal. You may have enabled some sort of security measure that prevents aliases from running in terminal. In that case, right click and choose "get info" then set the app to run in terminal. If that doesnt work for you for some reason, then I will tell you where to find the executable for iSync inside appfiles.app so you can run it from there. Just try this solution first and see how it goes.

    Good luck
    No, I have not

    Right-click on what?

    Set the app to run in terminal? how? Explain a bit more please.

    I'm not a noob, but your descriptions here seem to be a bit incomplete
    Last edited by Clem-Clone; 2007-12-04 at 11:45 PM.

  9. #9
    This is nice and dandy, but what about us users who don't have "alpine" for a password?

    Yes, I know, I can >passwd and make it alpine for the install, but what happens if I chance it back to something else besides alpine? Will it still sync?

  10. #10
    francis
    Guest
    Ok first, clem-clone, sorry about the horrible instructions, here are better ones:

    1. Right-click on the iSync alias in your Applications/iSync folder
    2. Click Show Original
    3. Finder will open a window and highlight the original iSync executable binary
    4. Double-click this file

    if you then get the same message about unknown application:

    1. right click this iSync executable binary
    2. click get info
    3. find the Open With option near the bottom of the info window
    4. Select Terminal from your Applications/Utilities folder

    now try running iSync again

    Digital_Oxygen:

    The idiot that I am assumed that most people won't have used the passwd command to change their ipod's root pass. If you have changed it, just ignore the instructions telling you to enter alpine and use your new password instead. I was worried that if I just said, enter ipod root pass, people might not know that it is alpine by default. Changing the root pass is a good idea however, and I may include the option in the next release to invoke the passwd command and allow users to pick a new password.

    In any case, you should be fine using any password of your choice, this tool depends on ssh authkey certificates and even if you change your mac's password, it should still work

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by francisois View Post
    Ok first, clem-clone, sorry about the horrible instructions, here are better ones:

    1. Right-click on the iSync alias in your Applications/iSync folder
    2. Click Show Original
    3. Finder will open a window and highlight the original iSync executable binary
    4. Double-click this file

    if you then get the same message about unknown application:

    1. right click this iSync executable binary
    2. click get info
    3. find the Open With option near the bottom of the info window
    4. Select Terminal from your Applications/Utilities folder

    now try running iSync again

    Digital_Oxygen:

    The idiot that I am assumed that most people won't have used the passwd command to change their ipod's root pass. If you have changed it, just ignore the instructions telling you to enter alpine and use your new password instead. I was worried that if I just said, enter ipod root pass, people might not know that it is alpine by default. Changing the root pass is a good idea however, and I may include the option in the next release to invoke the passwd command and allow users to pick a new password.

    In any case, you should be fine using any password of your choice, this tool depends on ssh authkey certificates and even if you change your mac's password, it should still work
    Tried that.
    When I try to select the app to open with, for some reason the 'Terminal' app is grayed out, and I cannot select the 'terminal' app to load this

    Quote Originally Posted by francisois View Post
    Ok first, clem-clone, sorry about the horrible instructions, here are better ones:

    1. Right-click on the iSync alias in your Applications/iSync folder
    2. Click Show Original
    3. Finder will open a window and highlight the original iSync executable binary
    4. Double-click this file

    if you then get the same message about unknown application:

    1. right click this iSync executable binary
    2. click get info
    3. find the Open With option near the bottom of the info window
    4. Select Terminal from your Applications/Utilities folder

    now try running iSync again

    Digital_Oxygen:

    The idiot that I am assumed that most people won't have used the passwd command to change their ipod's root pass. If you have changed it, just ignore the instructions telling you to enter alpine and use your new password instead. I was worried that if I just said, enter ipod root pass, people might not know that it is alpine by default. Changing the root pass is a good idea however, and I may include the option in the next release to invoke the passwd command and allow users to pick a new password.

    In any case, you should be fine using any password of your choice, this tool depends on ssh authkey certificates and even if you change your mac's password, it should still work
    tried that

    better instructions for isync
    sorry about the horrible instructions, here are better ones:

    1. Right-click on the iSync alias in your Applications/iSync folder
    2. Click Show Original
    3. Finder will open a window and highlight the original iSync executable binary
    4. Double-click this file

    if you then get the same message about unknown application:

    1. right click this iSync executable binary
    2. click get info
    3. find the Open With option near the bottom of the info window
    4. Select Terminal from your Applications/Utilities folder

    now try running iSync again
    Last edited by Clem-Clone; 2007-12-05 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  12. #12
    francis
    Guest
    To ungrey Terminal you need to click the menu that says Recommended Applications when you are trying to choose terminal, then select All Applications instead. I hope this works for you.

    I'm looking into why the app won't run in terminal for you. Which version of Mac OS X are u using? Are you using any Safari addon utilities or any antivirus apps?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by francisois View Post
    To ungrey Terminal you need to click the menu that says Recommended Applications when you are trying to choose terminal, then select All Applications instead. I hope this works for you.

    I'm looking into why the app won't run in terminal for you. Which version of Mac OS X are u using? Are you using any Safari addon utilities or any antivirus apps?
    OK, *that* works now

    OS 10.4.11
    I've tried this OOTB on 3 macs now, all have the same basic problem, can't locate the 'Terminal' program without going thru this set of mods.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clem-Clone View Post
    OK, *that* works now

    OS 10.4.11
    I've tried this OOTB on 3 macs now, all have the same basic problem, can't locate the 'Terminal' program without going thru this set of mods.
    Ug, now I cannot get the terminal window to accept at 'alpine' password, gawd, this is frustrating.
    Last edited by Clem-Clone; 2007-12-05 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by francisois View Post
    Digital_Oxygen:

    The idiot that I am assumed that most people won't have used the passwd command to change their ipod's root pass. If you have changed it, just ignore the instructions telling you to enter alpine and use your new password instead. I was worried that if I just said, enter ipod root pass, people might not know that it is alpine by default. Changing the root pass is a good idea however, and I may include the option in the next release to invoke the passwd command and allow users to pick a new password.

    In any case, you should be fine using any password of your choice, this tool depends on ssh authkey certificates and even if you change your mac's password, it should still work
    I wouldn't go as far as to call you an "idiot". You've made a script that I couldn't, so it's all good.

    Now then, this is where I'm running into a problem. It seems that after a fingerprint is generated, I don't get a prompt to enter my machine's password, it automatically goes on to trying to ssh into my machine's ip address, but my machine has a different pwd than my iphone. Please see screenshot.

    Edit: Never mind. I guess it would help if i turned on incoming ssh connection support on this machine. :embarased:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -picture-4.png  
    Last edited by Digital Oxygen; 2007-12-05 at 12:47 AM.

  15. #15
    francis
    Guest
    EDIT:

    wow that was quick lol, ok, first, clem-clone, have you changed your ipods root pass to anything else? If not, make sure you type it exactly as 'alpine' without the quotes. Also note that you will not see the password being typed - this is a UNIX security measure - if you type alpine and hit enter, it should work - unless of course uve changed the password or the pass is different for some reason. If thats the case then do the following:

    open Terminal on your mac
    type: ssh [email protected]
    when prompted for the pass, type alpine and hit enter, if it works then you should be fine...

    Digital_Oxygen:

    Make sure youve enabled Remote Login in your mac sharing preferences.
    -------------------------

    OK thats great news. If you have any other issues or questions, or even suggestions for improving the app, either reply here or just pm me, I'll try to help you the best I can, but I can't promise I'll always be available though - im doing my med school finals for this semester and I'm a bit overloaded at the moment.

    Thanks to clem-clone and Digital_Oxygen I know what I'll be including in the next release (0.6). #1 is an extensive user guide, and #2 is an option to allow users to change their ipod's root pass from alpine to something more secure.

    At the moment, besides those 2 features, I'm busy trying to get simple contacts/bookmarks/calendar sync working. iTunes sync seems to be a no-go at the moment considering the amount of pain involved in getting it to work (yes I've got it to work and it was horribly buggy, required installing 5 extra tools and 2 reboots, didn't work half the time, and took about 6 hours to sync my 12GB playlist once it worked) It also depleted the battery life beyond recognition. I know why apple decided not to include this ability now lol, but theres still hope in synchronizing limited playlists if I can actually get it to work with the newer versions of iTunes (7.5+).

    And again, thanks for all your input, I'm sorry the procedure wasnt that simple for you clem-clone, remember that this is still a beta and there's quite a few kinks to work out, but its still inexcusable that on your computer it refused to run in terminal until you had to go in manually and set it yourself. If you have another mac lying around, try it out there and tell me if you experience the same issue - this really bugs me...
    Last edited by francis; 2007-12-05 at 12:53 AM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by francisois View Post
    And again, thanks for all your input, I'm sorry the procedure wasnt that simple for you clem-clone, remember that this is still a beta and there's quite a few kinks to work out, but its still inexcusable that on your computer it refused to run in terminal until you had to go in manually and set it yourself. If you have another mac lying around, try it out there and tell me if you experience the same issue - this really bugs me...
    Thanks, I will keep trying, but I'm stumped too right now.
    I've tried it now on 3 macs, all experience the same problems.

  17. #17
    Ok, that didn't work. Entering my machine's password where the script asks for it, does no good, it closes the connection and completes the process...

  18. #18
    francis
    Guest
    DigOX

    That means it worked

    you can verify this by doing the following:

    open terminal and type the following:

    ssh [email protected]
    type ur ipods pass
    type: crontab -l

    (thats 'l' as in 'L')

    you should see a list of the sync processes added to ur crontab, ur crontab should be empty if this didnt work, but if u get a result, then it worked, and now u just have to keep ur ipod on the same network with wifi on and it will sync on the designated times

    clemclone:

    did u see the edit to my last post? if not, here u go:
    -------------------------
    ok, first, clem-clone, have you changed your ipods root pass to anything else? If not, make sure you type it exactly as 'alpine' without the quotes. Also note that you will not see the password being typed - this is a UNIX security measure - if you type alpine and hit enter, it should work - unless of course uve changed the password or the pass is different for some reason. If thats the case then do the following:

    open Terminal on your mac
    type: ssh [email protected]
    when prompted for the pass, type alpine and hit enter, if it works then you should be fine...
    ------------------------------

  19. #19
    OK. Crontab lists 2 apps runing, so we're good. I was confuzzled since the script still shows [Process Completed] even when it fails.

    Thank you, I'll let you know if I run into any bugs

    Also, you may want to include an uninstall script/function for the people who have no idea what just happened when the script runs, but still dont want to run the sync service.
    Last edited by Digital Oxygen; 2007-12-05 at 01:08 AM.

  20. #20
    francis
    Guest
    DigOx:

    Run the Toggle app and ull find a pleasant surprise
    By the way, thanks for ur last input, thats another thing to add in v0.6, a simple echo that says the installation actually worked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •