Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Preemptive Srike: Ringtones and Firmware 1.1.2

Default Preemptive Srike: Ringtones and Firmware 1.1.2
    MacRumors normally hedges but doesn't seem to be with respect to the new iTunes 7.5 : Firmware 1.1.2 combo that is due out perhaps this week.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/03/...-2-on-the-way/

As most of the readers of this forum know, a workaround has been developed for Apple's ill advised ringtone strategy that prevents folks from placing their personally owned sounds on their phone.

This community has responded admirably and impressively. I'm continually amazed at both the quality of both the people and programs involved. Kudos.... The commercial side of things is no different as epitomized, imo, by Ambrosia, Andrew Welch, and his iToner prodcut.

That said, iToner is not currently available for windows and some folks cannot or prefer not to support commercial software.

The point of this thread is to provide a rallying place to discuss and test various new workarounds regardless of whether those approaches end up in freeware or commercial solutions.

Apple's lack of a "get-it" factor with respect to Ringtones is astounding and I've struggled after past firmware / itunes updates to find a single source of Ringtone-workaround information. Selfishly, I hope this thread can help in that regard.

Pax,
    Robert

------------------- Automerged 2nd Post Below ------------------------

As most readers of this site probably know, the current non-jailbreak ringtone workaround involves placing music, spoof, and a ringtones.plist in the user portion of the iPhone.

MacRumors reports a couple things
    1) Syncing will require a pairing of iTunes 7.5 and Firmware 1.1.2. You can, of course, remain at iTunes 7.4.3 and Firmware 1.1.1. But if you upgrade one, you must upgrade both.

2) Firmware 1.1.2 breaks iToner.

My guess is that this means one, or a combination, of the following:
    1) Access to the user portion of the phone will be further restricted such that programs that rely on the manzana DLL or iTunesmobiledevice.dll won't work.

2) Current spoofing approaches won't work.

3) Access retained and spoofing works so ringtones appear but won't play. Even now, this issue plagues the ringtone community and only Ambrosia's clearly uber-gifted coders have figured it out (kudos Ambrosia). Point is that Apple might reswizzle whatever they did in the first place. While annoying, this situation is the least problematic as it will simply require manually adding new ringtones until they all play again. Annoying and time consuming, but not impossible.

------------------- Automerged 3rd Post Below ------------------------

Here are some utilities and programs that may be useful and I had wished they were all in one spot.

• iPhonebrowser 1.4 -- Provides read/write access to user portion of non-jailbroken phones
    • iToner -- Commercial and OSX only, but also the only flawless custom ringtone solution
    • RingRing -- plmars' Impressive start to a freeware solution
    • iRinger -- tallnatt's freeware program that will generate a ringtones.plist file with the appropriate spoof entries and SSH it onto a jailbroken phone. If you phone is not jailbroken you can use iphonebrowser to place files manually. NOTE--as with all solutions other than iToner, all ringtones will NOT play at first and will require some tweaking.

This list is cleraly not exhaustive; please add to the list based on your experience. There are a couple of other commercial programs out there, but none are as stable as iToner so I decided not to include them. If someone else chooses to, that's cool.

btw..since iToner is the only commercial program I mention above and since that mention is favorable, I wanted to clearly state that I have no commercial affiliation with Ambrosia.
    Last edited by rwross; 2007-11-04 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rwross For This Useful Post:

aamodr (2007-12-04)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default how do i tweak the ringtones?
    I managed to convert the ringtones into AAC format then placed them into the ringtones folder but could not hear them when i chose them in the settings. They were all quiet, while the standard ones worked. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by shaquk View Post
    I managed to convert the ringtones into AAC format then placed them into the ringtones folder but could not hear them when i chose them in the settings. They were all quiet, while the standard ones worked. Any suggestions?
    same here
    Last edited by sab3083; 2007-11-29 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Have you tried makeiphoneringtone software 1.3 works with 7.5 tunes and firmware 1.1.2 , ringtone has to be 40 sec or less http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/ its FREE
    Last edited by atm_10142k; 2007-11-30 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Added to post

all well and good for the mac users but what about PC users?

Um, with version 1.1.2 all you need to do is convert the >40s long ringtone to AAC using iTunes, then rename that AAC file to m4r. Then just double click the song and it will play in the Ringtones section of iTunes, and then you go under the iPhone settings in iTunes, check sync Ringtones and it shoots it straight to the phone. Not sure what this thread is about...

Reako

Wait...
    The old MeCCA patch fix works fine on 1.1.2 for me (using iDemocracy 2).
    I've never had problems with those ringtones...

Anshu Chimala
    Follow @anshuchimala on Twitter
    Visit http://www.airpoke.com, my latest project for iPhone/iPod touch.

My concern is that you don't NEED the Mecca Patch with the new version.

Reako

Reako - How are you changing it to .m4r? By ust adding that extension to the end of the file name? When I try that and hit play it doesn't go to the ringtones section

Make sure you go into File settings and enable hidden file extensions. It should show the file extension on default, mp3 mp4 mfa and so forth. You then rename that extension. If the hidden extension isn't shown you are only adding an extension to a pre-exisiting extension...

Reako

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    My concern is that you don't NEED the Mecca Patch with the new version.

Reako
    Yes... It would seem Apple's doing something weird here. Obviously they wouldn't do something like this intentionally unless they have a great big plan.

Maybe on a predetermined date the iPhone quickly dives into its Ringtones folder, scans for unofficial files, then triggers the self-destruction function that nobody knows about

Anshu Chimala
    Follow @anshuchimala on Twitter
    Visit http://www.airpoke.com, my latest project for iPhone/iPod touch.

(Then just double click the song and it will play in the Ringtones section of iTunes, and then you go under the iPhone settings in iTunes, check sync Ringtones and it shoots it straight to the phone.)

I tried this and nothing happens. Also tried to manually import it and itunes says my file is not a valid export file. What am I doing wrong?

Um, with version 1.1.2 all you need to do is convert the >40s long ringtone to AAC using iTunes, then rename that AAC file to m4r. Then just double click the song and it will play in the Ringtones section of iTunes, and then you go under the iPhone settings in iTunes, check sync Ringtones and it shoots it straight to the phone. Not sure what this thread is about...

Reako
    i am doing this. i had a ringtone working for a couple days, then all of a sudden it no longer played, so i deleted and tried numerous times with different songs, different lengths and what not, now nothing is playing, the ringtone will show up on the phone, but will not play anything

Thanks

i have 1.1.2 and all i use to make ringtones is sendsong.....everyone works and it puts your ringtones in a custom section in your sounds/ringtones.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Reako
    this is true if you are using itunes 7.5 but if you use 7.4.1 with fw 1.1.2 you dont have to be limited to 40 sec.Im using itunes 7.4.1 and i have ringtones that are longer than 40 sec and the play on phone.

but if you want a 30 second clip how do you get it to send song? all the files in my send song are full songs, and i only want a clip

Quote Originally Posted by sab3083 View Post
    but if you want a 30 second clip how do you get it to send song? all the files in my send song are full songs, and i only want a clip
    You need to sync the 30 second clip as a song to your phone.

oh and at ATM: I didn't know about the older version of iTunes trick. Pretty sweet thanks.

Reako

Also with iToner, it DOES WORK with iTunes 7.5 AND firmware 1.1.2. I've done some research and found that the ringtones tab in iTunes CAN'T be checked to sync and whenever the phone sync's it CAN NOT be cancelled. If the sync is cancelled, your ringtones get deleted.