Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: wiToner Free Ringtone Manager for Windows - FREEWARE!

Wow, I used to think Ambrosia was a pretty decent company.

But to go after a little guy who a.) didn't steal a line of code, b.) is not selling anything, and c.) who released Windows software that you have stated you would never do seems more than a little small-minded.

While I agree you had a right to ask for the graphic change (don't agree about the name) you didn't need to take this to a public forum.

No cookie for you, Ambrosia.

--
    Mike

I get an error iphuc.exe has stopped working while trying to transfer a ringtone over. Any fixes for this?

Thanks.

i have mirrors made for the files

EXE
    ZIP
    Note: I will remove at JdM23sr request

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

But to go after a little guy who a.) didn't steal a line of code, b.) is not selling anything, and c.) who released Windows software that you have stated you would never do seems more than a little small-minded.

While I agree you had a right to ask for the graphic change (don't agree about the name) you didn't need to take this to a public forum.

We sent the author a private email, and received no response.

I think the real issue at hand is that you cannot just rip off another product wholesale (including all of the custom-designed graphics/intereface), add a "w" in front of it, and release it.

I think that's pretty obvious, no? To address your points:

1) Whether he stole a line of code or not isn't relevant; he did steal all of the graphics.

2) Whether he's selling anything or not is irrelevant; he cannot rip off our product and create market confusion

3) We never stated we would never do a Windows version of iToner; I don't think we're being small-minded.

I stand behind what I wrote; I have no issue with him making his product at all, and I welcome him to the market. Now that he's changed it to use his own name and graphics, I'm perfectly happy, and the issue has been resolved.
    Andrew Welch / el Presidente / http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/

Hmm?

-> 3) We never stated we would never do a Windows version of iToner;

You have also never stated that you would do a Windows version of iToner. Tinman has possibly read the same post like i did:

From Amrosias Forum:
    http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/lof...p/t115841.html

evan smith - Oct 19 2007, 09:24 AM
    We're focusing on our Mac version now. At some point in time we may consider iToner for Windows but nothing official at this time. If you would like to be notified of future releases, you can join our mailing list

This does not sound like "a windows version is coming soon". So i have started developing one - that's it.

JdM

Quote Originally Posted by moki View Post
    We sent the author a private email, and received no response.

I think the real issue at hand is that you cannot just rip off another product wholesale (including all of the custom-designed graphics/intereface), add a "w" in front of it, and release it.

I think that's pretty obvious, no? To address your points:

1) Whether he stole a line of code or not isn't relevant; he did steal all of the graphics.

2) Whether he's selling anything or not is irrelevant; he cannot rip off our product and create market confusion

3) We never stated we would never do a Windows version of iToner; I don't think we're being small-minded.

I stand behind what I wrote; I have no issue with him making his product at all, and I welcome him to the market. Now that he's changed it to use his own name and graphics, I'm perfectly happy, and the issue has been resolved.
    Dude, the "graphics" are the least important aspect of this app, and iToner too. An app that does ringtones ferchristsake. You act like he pirated your code, and he most certainly did not. The "graphics" mostly involved an image of an iPhone--big deal.

Still no cookie for you.

BTW: I am developing an app to help addicts. It will be called iStoner. Don't tase me, bro!

BTW2: JdM23sr was right in that I read your response (as quoted above) to be marketing babble for "we won't touch Windows"

--
    Mike

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dude, the "graphics" are the least important aspect of this app, and iToner too. An app that does ringtones ferchristsake. You act like he pirated your code, and he most certainly did not. The "graphics" mostly involved an image of an iPhone--big deal.

Still no cookie for you.
    So theft of code would matter, but theft of graphics and UI design does not? The artist who created the artwork by hand under contract would disagree with you strongly.

BTW2: JdM23sr was right in that I read your response (as quoted above) to be marketing babble for "we won't touch Windows"
    I think that might be a bit hasty

It seems the only reason you decided to pipe in was because his app is up and running for windows, and you don't have one. Afraid he is stealing some of your thunder?

Whether he done right or wrong, you could have contacted him directly instead of a long winded post here directly attacking him, poor form there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xarra1972 View Post
    It seems the only reason you decided to pipe in was because his app is up and running for windows, and you don't have one. Afraid he is stealing some of your thunder?

Whether he done right or wrong, you could have contacted him directly instead of a long winded post here directly attacking him, poor form there.
    As I state previously, I did attempt contacting him privately; I did not receive a response. Since that time, he has removed our copyrighted artwork, and has gone his own way with his product.

So I think there is not much more to dispute here. You are incorrect that we did not attempt to contact him privately.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Let it go, guys. As much as I think that the Ambrosia move was totally prickfaced, he was in fact well within his rights. Funny thing is that nobody in their right mind would consider a forum like this legally binding as a warning since identities could be faked. I'd be glad the warning came on here though, instead of properly.

Let it go guys. Issue over. You'd be mad if somebody did that to your product as well.

any news for new version ? i am looking for a good automatic ringtone program and cant find any that work good

thanks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Closing this thread.

If the OP or Moki want it opened please PM an admin or mod

Thanks

--
    Mike
    holy crap its the tinman!!!!,,,,yall listen to the tinman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!welcome to mmi!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12