Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Phone Call Recording???

Default Phone Call Recording???
    Am I blind? Have I done 'it' too often? I can't find an app that lets me record my phone calls (incoming and outgoing). A couple of apps on Rock are outgoing only and very poorly rated.

Is there something special here that prevents recording? A missing hook?

TIA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StrongEagle For This Useful Post:

Bhavinboss (2010-12-31)

Thanks

Probably not available for legal reasons. Just a thought

In the US, there is nothing illegal about one party to a conversation recording the phone call. This is done all the time in a business context. Actually, the same holds true for most of the world.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

But you have to legally state that you are recording them.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Federal law requires that only one party be notified so long as no third party will have access to the call. Twelve states:

* California
    * Connecticut
    * Florida
    * Illinois
    * Maryland
    * Massachusetts
    * Michigan
    * Montana
    * Nevada
    * New Hampshire
    * Pennsylvania
    * Washington

require that both or all parties be notified. So, for 38 more states, no notification of the second party is required.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StrongEagle For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (2010-03-13)

Thanks

So an app could be made but they can't limit who may use it I guess. Kind of like radar detectors. Some states state you can't use them others are fine with it.

Question, not sure where you found that, what about people that are multi state? Like myself; I work in one state and have the cell number in that state but I live in another state. I cross the state border daily to go to work. So if one state prohibited it but the other didn't how would that work.

Just curious.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-03-13 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks

It doesn't matter what state YOU are in. It's where the person being recorded is.

Thanks

K, neither of the state I go and live in are listed so it wouldn't matter. Was just curious.

Thanks

It really depends on what you use the recordings for. If you will need them for anything court related or similar you should consult an attorney first for more specifics. I deal with audio recording issues alotmof so I can tell you it's not really a cut and dry type issue.

I really don't think this has anything to do with the legality of the app. After all, if I want to record you right now, I put you on speakerphone and place a digital recorder next to the phone... voila!... both sides of the conversation are recorded!

I don't know anything about the SDK but I am wondering if perhaps the problem is there is no object/hook available to capture the phone conversation?

The legality of USING the recorded conversation is the issue -- which shouldn't prevent the release of an app that allows the functionality. In any jurisdiction, you can record all you want -- you just can't use the recording in a legal context if it's a "two party" state.

So, as an experienced programmer in C, Pascal, Fortran, PHP, COBOL, and Basic, with apps developed for Windows and X-Windows, what would be the best source for me to look at the environment for iPhone... objects, classes, interfaces, etc? TIA.

It looks indeed like the issue is no SDK support for phone calls. From an iClarified article:

Because the iPhone SDK does not provide a means to record phone calls, Recorder's call recording feature works through an external service connected to the telephone network. This means that the service is limited to outgoing calls originating and terminating in the US and that it requires a per minute charge.
    iClarified - Apple News - Recorder 10 Provides iPhone Call Recording

So, no go without figuring out how to get access to the phone call.
    Last edited by StrongEagle; 2010-03-14 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thatīs not going to happen. Why? Pretty simple.

All hooks and softwares we devs put out runs where? On the main processor, right?
    Ok, said that, all you need to know is the audio from calls never hits the main processor, thus any software that runs on main processor will never reach this audio information from calls. The baseband processor is the one that deals with that.
    Thus, to record calls, you need to modify the baseband firmware... A very very risky and hard to do operation.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to spektro For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (2010-03-16)

^^^^^

I think I would generally agree with you... and since you seem knowledgeable on the subject, I have a couple more questions.

a) The microphone must be in some way hooked to the main processor since it can be used by apps like the recorder and the volume control can operate it, and one phone recording app will record outgoing calls. Would you agree?

b) The volume control does control the incoming voice volume so it would appear to be connected in some manner.

Are there schematics anywhere of the layout of the iPhone?

TIA

Hi

a) You can use the mic, no problems, and i even already done that on an experimental hook, where the incoming call is automatic answered and the recording process then is triggered by the acceptance. The thing is you will be recording only the ambient sound, not what the other person is talking to you, since you have no access to it on main processor

b) The volume control has absolutely nothing to do with the data coming from the gsm decoding to the speakers, itīs just a bridge to control the hardware volume. So, although you can control the volume, you canīt touch the data.

Schematics, hummm, being an electronic engineer that works with ARM every single day, i would love it, but asking for schematics is almost the same as asking for the source code of all the iphoneOS firmware.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to spektro For This Useful Post:

StrongEagle (2010-03-18)

Thanks

Combined with the speakerphone option, this could provide a temporary solution for anyone in need. The remaining question is where does the feedback cancellation take place.

This would explain why the only app that records both sides requires a third party connection. It's a stupid omission. I believe that Android SDK allows this, and I had one for my Nokia.

Does the main processor read any information off of the baseband processor? Because if it did, even though you said it is risky, seems like any mod would be risky until you get it figured out, figure out what NOT to do, then it's all good. right?

That may sound stupid but I have no idea how these hacks or jailbreak stuff works (or any small electronics to be honest).

I'm using CallRec.me from the app store and it records both incoming & outgoing but the price is outrageous but they know we have no other choice so they take advantage of that and jack up the prices, [email protected] but $10 for 200 minutes isn't that bad I just wish they had a $5 package for 100 minutes as well.
    Last edited by laz305; 2010-08-17 at 09:48 PM.