Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PogoPlank - A SpringBoard UI Replacement

I have been using this for a while now, and I REALLY wish I could just "flick" the wheel rather than tapping icons to spin it around.

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    I have been using this for a while now, and I REALLY wish I could just "flick" the wheel rather than tapping icons to spin it around.
    I agree!

Uhm ok, I agree with armadillo!! This is ugllyyyy!!!

I don't really get how this is better then the original iPhone layout

I find swiping my finger left and right better then clicking on folders to find a app!!

But I'll keep an eye on this, I bet someone will make a nice mod out if this

And also, it would be pretty cool to make an acual theme with just one page! Like ebls windows 7 or Pears leopard...but in 1 Deb file.

You can sorta flick the wheel. You can put your finger between the folder and hub and drag it around. Or between two folders. It wont spin like a roulette wheel, but you can easily swipe past 4 folders in one flick.

I'll type the real slow for you Armadilo. It is expandable...in regards to the number of categories or apps. I'm sure it would not meet your approval though.
    Last edited by 02589; 2009-10-17 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    You can sorta flick the wheel. You can put your finger between the folder and hub and drag it around. Or between two folders. It wont spin like a roulette wheel, but you can easily swipe past 4 folders in one flick.

I'll type the real slow for you Armadildo. It is expandable...in regards to the number of categories or apps. I'm sure it would not meet your approval though.
    Oh I almost didn't notice that!
    RUDE

So I decided to check out the demo video and now I know that this is absolutely terrible. Come on. You have to scroll a wheel for categories and you have to scroll a menu list of apps. You guys can't be serious to consider this an improvement. Configuring this stuff is a pain in the you know what. It really is just as bad as I thought it would be.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

My bad. That was in my draft and I changed a lot of stuff. I did correct it before your post.

Lol oh ok! I thought it was purposly put! Haha it's all good

Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    Even so, the rest of the iPhone interface is all about swiping, scrolling, flicking, and coasting, so why should this break the mold? I thought wheels were SUPPOSED to spin when you turn them.

Look, obviously whoever developed this has programming talent and I greatly appreciate that they produced another app for us. I really do appreciate the work they put into this and it's cool that they plan to update and improve it.

Having said that, I do not think that a lot of thought went into the actual usability of the app. I mean these guys are essentially wasting the already limited screen real estate to put up a silly wheel with 5 folders. This is simply beyond stupid. Why should we sacrifice half a screen for something that should actually only show up when we need it? The same is true for the list of apps. Now we get a tiny icon with huge text next to it and we have to scroll through that list to find the app. This is actually worse than what we have as stock.

Please guys, think this through. Make something that improves access to icon pages with minimal fuss. Rotating wheels and sliding app menus are simply not it.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Armadillo, I can honestly say that I think my productivity has actually gone UP using a program like this. I never liked having ALL of my apps thrown at me. I don't know what operating system you use, but if you know anything about Macs, imagine having every application on your computer in your Dock. The Dock is a quick way to launch your most used applications; PogoPlank is the same idea.

Isn't easier just to rearange your games on page 1, apps page 2, utilities page 3 ect...lol I find that easier

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    So I decided to check out the demo video and now I know that this is absolutely terrible. Come on. You have to scroll a wheel for categories and you have to scroll a menu list of apps. You guys can't be serious to consider this an improvement. Configuring this stuff is a pain in the you know what. It really is just as bad as I thought it would be.
    I like it!

Well, I use Macs. Do I use the Dock? Actually, I use the dock exactly like I use the dock on the iPhone. My most important apps are on there (20 to be exact). The rest I handle with DragThing, which is pretty much like the the pages on the iPhone. I put categories of apps onto palettes (pages). The difference is that I have a 30 inch monitor attached to my Mac, but the iPhone has only a 3-inch display. So I must page, just like everyone using the iPhone.

I think that Apple realizes that the situation is not optimal and I am sure they will offer a solution at some point. In the meantime, we have a number of approaches that we can use. So we have:

1. Spring Jumps: Not a bad solution, but we all know the drawbacks as well.
    2. Stacks: never liked it and limited use really
    3. Categories: Very cool. I really would like to use it, but I always ran into trouble with it and I got tired of having to restore.

So PogoPlank is taking these concepts and provides kind of a static Categories approach with built-in Spring Jumps. In principle, this is the right idea, but the execution is just awful IMHO (I'm happy for you if it suits your way of working). For me it's just too many taps and scrolls and terrible implementation of arranging the apps in the categories. So I really think that what I proposed in a previous post would be much better in terms of usability. We will see how the app develops, but in its present form, I really doubt it will catch on.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Hey guys, here is my theme. I have 107 apps installed and have 6 categories (plus one Development Applications category).

I love pogoplank.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

hey guys knocking pogoplank....shouldn't you all be off cutting and pasting another theme together....no offense (no more than you all prob intended) but i went back through the themes section, and this blows away anything you have done.

btw, that unused screen space can def. be used in some productive ways.

how on earth do people actually scoff at a total replacement for the springboard....its not some wannabe brand new ui like inav.....and no offense to reeco(seriously this time) because that was hella creative, but re-writing sb is a whole other level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rel1215; 2009-10-19 at 03:05 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rel1215 For This Useful Post:

Jakeyyy (2009-10-20)

Funny, you have bought into the slogan that this replaces springboard? Nothing could be further from the truth. This uses the same mobile substrate hooks like any other system utility. Springboard is alive and well, trust me. This just plugs into it. Nothing more, nothing less. For your enjoyment, try deleting Springboard.app.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

While i agree that this app doesn't pwn all (after purchasing it and using it for a bit), I think it is a nice start. Just released, it doesn't have a very smooth feel to it- yet. If the dev can add more functionality: ability to hide wheel, reposition on left/right/bottom, make the lists more full screen-ish, etc, then it would be a winner. But for now it is a nice mod of the interface. Does it replace springboard? Duh! Of course not. No Springboard = well, no iPhone hahaha. I think the criticism of "This sucks, my idea is better" is a tad harsh. Although, I DO like Armadillo's idea of the souped up springjumps! The theme? Meh. Not the greatest, but that is why (I think) the dev gave a theme template out. There could be some pretty sweet themes (not just for this app but an all inclusive type theme) that come to be.

I've got to say that after using it for a little bit, I went with Categories from BigBoss. Works good, cleans up my SB a bit, doesn't have to replace the interface of the springboard. I'll come back to this app when more customization and features are introduced.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast