Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: VNSea

cool Thanks, Ill try it out when its on the installer

Green Apple
    Thanks
    .7 just released i believe, got an update on installer

cool i installed vnc .7 from the installer and it works pretty good now.
    2 things can you make it so 1 click on the status bar can switch between pointer and screen panning mode? also the can we get a wide screen keyboard when we tilt the iphone. and is there any way to speedup the redraw on the iphone screen? when the keyboard is open it should push up the bottom of the screen. Some times screen on the iphone gets "stuck" and does not refresh.

Over all this is a very good release as i am remoting into my computer with vnsea and writing this reply!

It's alright to use... takes a bit of getting used to. I'm typing from it now! Also I am highly tempted to scare/piss off my sister! A recommendation: whenever (and i mean whenever) you want to move around, double-tap on the bar at the top.

I've just noticed a bit of a bug too! When in the interaction mode is active, open the keyboard and type into something. Then double-tap the status bar. Notice that you can still enter text! This is really useful actually!
    Great app!
    Anyone interested in a trade? See here:
    Trade: 16GB iPod touch + case + speakers + CASH for 16GB iPhone

Windows, just another pane in the glass.

I just switched to a 24 inch iMac and when I use VNSea to view it the dock in not visable.

Thoughts?

how would i be able to use this if my iphone was not connected to my wifi??? when im at home im able to connect to my pc cos its address is 192.168.1.102 but obviously when im away from home i cant connect. is there a way around this?

Quote Originally Posted by babyshaq View Post
    how would i be able to use this if my iphone was not connected to my wifi??? when im at home im able to connect to my pc cos its address is 192.168.1.102 but obviously when im away from home i cant connect. is there a way around this?
    Yes, you can use DynDNS, along with a registered host name and DynDNS updater, to always access your PC via a domain name. You can do it all for no charge. Google DynDNS.

Certain DSL and cable modems have DynDNS update functionality built-in (in which case you wouldn't need a DynDNS updater client).

You also will need to forward TCP ports 5800/5900 to the PC on the local LAN, as well as opening the same ports on your firewall.

Once setup use your host name instead of IP address when setting up the connection in VNSea. Only use this connection when away from your own WiFi network. Setup one VNSea connection for "local" and another for when you are away. This is what I have setup and I can access my PC from anywhere (I can use EDGE too).

--
    Mike
    Last edited by Tinman; 2008-01-07 at 08:40 PM.

I'm using dynamic dns too. I also have an network appliance which has VPN builtin. Traffic is a little more secure.

good day guys,
    this is a great network utility..
    i know vnsea cant be installed thru"Installer.app" on iphone,
    but i hope someone can help or direct me to an easy step by step guide of setting the VPN on the PC, and how do i configure it with my iphone to make the VNSea to work..
    sorry but when it come to pc m a bit Noob..
    hope someone can help me with this...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Yes, you can use DynDNS, along with a registered host name and DynDNS updater, to always access your PC via a domain name. You can do it all for no charge. Google DynDNS.

Certain DSL and cable modems have DynDNS update functionality built-in (in which case you wouldn't need a DynDNS updater client).

You also will need to forward TCP ports 5800/5900 to the PC on the local LAN, as well as opening the same ports on your firewall.

Once setup use your host name instead of IP address when setting up the connection in VNSea. Only use this connection when away from your own WiFi network. Setup one VNSea connection for "local" and another for when you are away. This is what I have setup and I can access my PC from anywhere (I can use EDGE too).

--
    Mike
    once i set up dynamic dns then what do i do? after i add my url to VNsea it says connecting than after a while it says connection failed.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy523 View Post
    once i set up dynamic dns then what do i do? after i add my url to VNsea it says connecting than after a while it says connection failed.
    Forward ports 5800/5900 to the computer running VNC. You might also have to allow those ports through a firewall.

You should use a static local IP address for the VNC machine. If the IP received via the router is, say, 192.168.0.3, set that machine's IP to 192.168.0.50 (assuming you don't have other machines getting an address that high). You need to follow whatever IP range the machine has now, so don't use 192.168.0.50 if the IP of the machine is 192.168.254.8 (then use 192.168.254.50). Then you would forward ports 5800/5900 to that local IP address.

Also make sure you use your hostname that links to your dyndns account (e.g., mypc12345.homeip.net) when setting up the remove VNC connection. You can test it while at the VNC PC by turning off WiFi (assuming you can get an EDGE signal).

If it's setup properly the following will happen:

1.) Dyndns keeps your public IP address synced to your hostname.

2.) The iPhone, running VNSea, tries to connect to your hostname.

3.) Via DNS your hostname is resolved to your current public IP address, usually given to your cable/DSL router/modem.

4.) Traffic from VNSea on port 5900 hits your router/modem and is forwarded to your VNC server machine, using its local IP address.

5.) VNC on the PC and VNSea on the iPHone communicate! Done.

--
    Mike

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinman For This Useful Post:

fate1226 (2008-03-02), yesjoshyes (2008-01-21)

For realVNC users who have a problem with multiple displays, you can add a new string in the registry so that it uses only the primary one.

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RealVNC
    name: DisplayDevice
    value: \\.\DISPLAY1
    Last edited by automat; 2008-01-19 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Forward ports 5800/5900 to the computer running VNC. You might also have to allow those ports through a firewall.

You should use a static local IP address for the VNC machine. If the IP received via the router is, say, 192.168.0.3, set that machine's IP to 192.168.0.50 (assuming you don't have other machines getting an address that high). You need to follow whatever IP range the machine has now, so don't use 192.168.0.50 if the IP of the machine is 192.168.254.8 (then use 192.168.254.50). Then you would forward ports 5800/5900 to that local IP address.

Also make sure you use your hostname that links to your dyndns account (e.g., mypc12345.homeip.net) when setting up the remove VNC connection. You can test it while at the VNC PC by turning off WiFi (assuming you can get an EDGE signal).

If it's setup properly the following will happen:

1.) Dyndns keeps your public IP address synced to your hostname.

2.) The iPhone, running VNSea, tries to connect to your hostname.

3.) Via DNS your hostname is resolved to your current public IP address, usually given to your cable/DSL router/modem.

4.) Traffic from VNSea on port 5900 hits your router/modem and is forwarded to your VNC server machine, using its local IP address.

5.) VNC on the PC and VNSea on the iPHone communicate! Done.

--
    Mike
    hey, thanks for posting this, it helps a bit.

I'm going to sound ignorant here, but have a couple questions and would be very grateful if you could shed some light.

I signed up with DynDNS, and added a hostname, but the hostname I added was the one given to me by the VNC client, which of course is different from my computer's IP address (i know this because i checked whatismyip.com).

So, i'm just assuming i'm using the VNC ip address, correct?

also, i tried setting up a static IP address, which I did, but am not quite sure if I should be putting that in the dyndns host setting or what. So my IP addresses, i'm getting all mixed up! ugh! thanks for any clarification!
    Last edited by yesjoshyes; 2008-01-21 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yesjoshyes View Post
    I signed up with DynDNS, and added a hostname, but the hostname I added was the one given to me by the VNC client, which of course is different from my computer's IP address (i know this because i checked whatismyip.com).

So, i'm just assuming i'm using the VNC ip address, correct?
    I'm not sure what you are referring to, but the VNC client really shouldn't be involved here.

The name you need is the URL that links to your Dyndns account. You should be able to ping that URL and it should resolve to your DSL/cable router's public IP address. Here's an example:
    Pinging tinmansPC.homeip.net [216.24.110.17] with 32 bytes of data:

What that means is that if I use the URL tinmansPC.homeip.net it will always point to the current public IP of my DSL modem. Ergo I would enter that when setting up the VNSea connection on my iPhone (the connection I would use when away from my home network).

Note that, at this point, the URL will only get me to my DSL router. I would need to have port 5900 forwarded to my VNC server PC in order to actually control it via VNSea.

also, i tried setting up a static IP address, which I did, but am not quite sure if I should be putting that in the dyndns host setting or what. So my IP addresses, i'm getting all mixed up! ugh! thanks for any clarification!
    No, the static IP is only a local static IP (e.g., begins with 192.168 or 10.10). This is only to reliably get from the cable/DSL router to the VNC server PC. It has nothing to do with dyndns directly.

The static IP is only meant to take DHCP out of the picture. If you consistently get the same IP address via DHCP then you can skip the static IP part.

But either way you need to forward port 5900 in order to use VNSea from outside your home network.

The reason is you are sharing one public IP address with one or more devices, such as your PC. So the PCs behind the router will get private IP address (192/10) which are of course not accessable over the public internet.

Good luck!

--
    Mike

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinman For This Useful Post:

fate1226 (2008-03-02)

ok, thanks for the reply, it cleared some issues up and I really appreciate you taking the time to do it. However, i'm still having problems. I'll walk you through my steps to make it a little more clear:

1) Setup a static IP address using portforward.com's guide. (noted that the WinVNC client changed to show that as the IP address used to run the server)
    2) Pointed DynDNS host service to that Static IP.
    3) Accessed my wireless router's admin page, forwarded port 5900 to that static IP address using protocol's TCP and UDP (using this guide, also by portforward.
    4) LOST INTERNET CONNECTIVITY AFTER LAST STEP.
    5) Tried VNsea using DynDNS host that I setup in step 2 using edge and it didn't work.

...and the only way to restore my internet was to completely get rid of the forwarded port that I setup, wipe the static IP i setup, and reboot the router from the admin page. (and then of course, repair my wireless connection).

So that's where I'm stuck. I'd really like to get this thing working over edge, as it is an AMAZING app over wireless.

Thanks,
    Josh

18. The Following User Says Thank You to yesjoshyes For This Useful Post:

fate1226 (2008-03-02)

alright, i figured out my problem!

After much searching, I found that my specific router requires a full router reboot after any port forwarding changes, rather than just the re-initialize that it states it needs.

So, I didn't actually do anything wrong, I just needed to click the REBOOT ROUTER option in my router config page. Hope this helps somebody...

it works great now! thanks again, Mike

I have tiger and an ipod touch. I have the app on my itouch but dont know what to do now. can someone give me instructions?

OK I followed all on the steps and I now have a authentication failed. any ideas

Edit* Nevermind i had the password to my dyn account instead of my vnc. thank you for you instructions (and yes i hit the thanks button)
    Last edited by fate1226; 2008-03-02 at 05:06 AM.

Ok i have IP correct 192.168.*.*** but it says authentication failed_____________
    _________________________________---------- No such File or directory.<---------- \
    i have shared (on) and my settings are checked and correct, firewall is even off(i just| found out lmao, no viruses yet) but still, i keep getting this-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
    (thats an arrows pointing to the Bolded and Italicized words

Im using RealVNC on a Mac OS X Tiger. HELP!
    Last edited by starfreak; 2008-05-23 at 10:06 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have a strange problem with the program. If I coming off a cold start(phone not used for awhile and I try to connect Vnsea it fails with no server with the name found, Connection failed. Now if I open any app that requires online or edge access and then close it and then go back into Vnsea it now works....any ideas
    Thanks
    (newly converted Pocket PC Guy)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123