Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: This is HUGE! Installerapp Install apps over USB with out jailbreak!

Default This is HUGE! Installerapp Install apps over USB with out jailbreak!
    this is getting good

Ripdev: The iPhone Authority

InstallerApp is a native Mac OS X application (soon — for Windows too) that allows you easily download applications from Installer and Cydia directly onto your computer, and install them to the iPhone connected with USB cable. Download for Mac OS X.
    Support for Both Installing Solutions

Now you don’t have to make a choice between alternative installers, you can get the best of both worlds, Installer and Cydia — InstallerApp supports both! Just add a your favorite repository in the Preferences window and application will automatically recognize its type and will show the packages from that repository, so you’ll be able to download packages to your computer and install them to a USB-connnected iPhone.

Fast Packages Restore

If you ever had to wait on a new iPhone firmware update because you didn’t want to re-install all those “not from the App Store” apps, InstallerApp is exactly what you need. Synchronize all applications between your iPhone and computer, install the new firmware and synchronize all the apps again back to the phone — no more painful downloads and installation directly on the iPhone.

Save the Traffic!

If for some reason you don’t have an access to the WiFi network to “let iPhone out” onto the Internet, you won’t have to download applications over EDGE or 3G networks wasting often expensive traffic. Download all the required packages straight onto your computer that is connected to the Internet (whether it’s an Ethernet cable or even a dial-up connection), and then simply synchronize all the downloaded packages to your iPhone over the standard USB cable.
    Built-in Pusher

InstallerApp comes with free built-in Pusher — software that can install Installer.app on your iPhone without “jailbreaking” it, so you can use App Store and Installer simultaneously without putting your private data at risk. By default Pusher will not install a set of command-line utilities and unlock the system partition as it’s usually is done by some popular jailbreak solutions and may lead to additional instability of the iPhone software, but it will do so if that is what you want.

Safer Cydia Applications

Some applications may require dpkg for functioning — package management system utilized by Cydia, and Pusher can install it too, but only much more effectively and without making a mess of your iPhone file system. We’ve completely rebuilt dpkg by optimizing it and throwing away superfluous libraries and other stuff that is not required, so it won’t cause any instability in iPhone OS. And it for sure won’t replace any system libraries as Cydia does.

“Light” Daemon

To install applications and to let InstallerApp know which packages are installed on the iPhone, a special background application is installed on the device. Not only it takes very little of precious disk space but it also is only being launched on demand instead of always running in the background (and it exits as soon as the task it was invoked for is done). This saves on your phone battery, CPU cycles and memory.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 871 Posts

because i have installer to, i look at this today very interesting!!!

Thanks

None of this changes the fact that this is a Ripdev product. Too many people have had to restore due to their software.

Ummm, you STILL have to jailbreak to use this....its just installing from PC instead of directly from the iphone.

IMO....just makes things harder. The only good point would be if you didnt have any data plan (or access too) or any wifi.

No you dont have to jail break RTFM

Built-in Pusher

InstallerApp comes with free built-in Pusher — software that can install Installer.app on your iPhone without “jailbreaking” it, so you can use App Store and Installer simultaneously without putting your private data at risk. By default Pusher will not install a set of command-line utilities and unlock the system partition as it’s usually is done by some popular jailbreak solutions and may lead to additional instability of the iPhone software, but it will do so if that is what you want.

Last edited by peteo; 2009-03-25 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Pretty contradicting since you cant install anything without access to the system partition. All jailbreaking does is give us "access" the the file system. Which is a must to install anything (thats not Apple).

So...whether they want to call it "jailbreaking".....it has to be.

Interesting....none the less.....I just dont trust RipDev.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Convenient at times if you trust Ripdev? Sure.
    Huge? No
    iLive an iLife

im just going to stick with the standard jailbreak cause it hasn't steered me wrong yet

Quote Originally Posted by peteo View Post
    No you dont have to jail break RTFM

Built-in Pusher

RTFM yourself.

When you first open the app you have to install "Pusher helper".Pusher uses DFU mode to shove a partial ramdisk to your iPhone. In doing so it patches various kernel dependencies and binaries. This is a smilar method to that of ZiPhone, and is in no way stable or safe. From the looks of it, they don't even bother to sigcheck anything they push over. Pusher does not fully break the chain of trust like jailbreaking does, it is a partial userland jailbreak that has to operate through USB, ie tethered jailbreak. Its very limited in scope as all it does it patch out the code signature checks, a few kernel dependencies for sigcheck and soft coded checks.

Before you tell someone to RTFM, read it the **** yourself

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

-1 No thanks!

The only thing I am USBing is Quickpwn. Maybe Pwnage when I get a Mac. These folks wrecked my phone too many times before.

Thanks

So since this does not jailbreak and it just "pushes" the apps on there we should be able to use this with 3.0 right? Oh that's right, because it does jailbreak the phone, my bad
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 2009-03-25 at 05:13 AM.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

They're also stealing our bandwidth - directly linking to files on OUR server (as well as all other Cydia repos) without displaying any of our ads (the only way we are able to pay the thousands of dollars of monthly server fees we have).

I call it theft.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I've read on other forums that it can "push" programs onto 3.0. Haven't tried it tho.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    They're also stealing our bandwidth - directly linking to files on OUR server (as well as all other Cydia repos) without displaying any of our ads (the only way we are able to pay the thousands of dollars of monthly server fees we have).

I call it theft.
    Some people's children! I don't know how the ads work, but I click them all the time. Hope it helps!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I've read on other forums that it can "push" programs onto 3.0. Haven't tried it tho.
    I tend to doubt it, if so im sure it would be a lot bigger news than it is now but stranger things have happened. Im going to research it

:edit: Well apparently it supports fw 3.0, thats what a few websites said anyway

:edit 2: Straight from the horses mouth: "Phone firmware 3.0 will be supported shortly after jailbreak for it is released." So basically wait for PwnageTool which amounts to: wait till june for a real jailbreak. And what I find astonishing is that these guys, im sure, are aware of their rep in the iPhone community and aware of the Dev Team and Pwnage and yet they still continue to push (no pun intended) crap, and charge money for it on top of that. $7 for this? Yeah right
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 2009-03-25 at 08:35 AM.
    iLive an iLife

Sorry dont trust RIP Dev
    Signature cleaned...

bobtentpeg is right, it does jailbreak using another method. I was meaning to say you don't have to have a jailbroken phone, the software does its own "jailbreak". And yeah RipDev stuff has screwed my phone in the past too.
    The killer feature of this is being able to back up all apps so when you do a firmware update its easy to put every thing back on. whish they had and easy way to do this for cydia (the one on their does not work to well)

Only reason I like this is because ti says that it backs up everything if u have to do a restore, u can just resync and it will put everything back on the phone, also it will display cydia apps in the installed apps section, i personally havnt used installer or any rip dev products for over a year cause cydia has done everything i needed, but the backup procedure insterests me alot, I have yet to find anything that woud do something like this which is exaclty what i need, if i had a usb hub i would for sure check it out.. but i dont

Need a Windows version, second, all of a sudden when I click on Installer on my phone, it opens and closes and I cant seem to even use installer

Anyone have a solution

Thanks
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

lol you have to pay for it... and i couldnt even find the most basic apps on it.

No way... Cydia all the way.