Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Are We Getting MMS? (AT&T)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Are We Getting MMS? (AT&T)
    Ok, I've been psyched about this that Apple is finally allowing us to send and receive MMS with the iPhone, but then I had a thought. Apple is allowing it, but will AT&T? Once 3.0 comes out, is AT&T going to update EVERYONE'S iPhone plan so we can send and receive MMS? Or is this just going to be for other phone companies in different countries where they don't disable it, in which case, Swirly would have worked with no problem?

I'm going to be pissed if MMS doesn't work on the iPhone when 3.0 comes out because of AT&T, because MMS was the main thing I was looking forward to and I would have been all excited for nothing.

BTW, while I'm already making a thread, just wanted to know how does MMi know you're on an iPhone when you visit their site and ask you if you want to use the iPhone version of the website if you're using UAFaker? I have yet to go to a website with UAFaker enabled that forced me to their mobile site or showed an option to go to it other than MMi.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

mms is like 2 texts in 1
    so im sure ATT will work fine
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks

My guess is that they will allow it because I can't see nthen having a feature on a premeir phone that is useless. However, I think they potentially may add an extra charge for it.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T has to let us use MMS, if not im sure Apple will be upset and cause a lot of problems. All you have to do though is change your data plan from an iphone messaging one to a MediaNET unlimited one and you can send MMS.
    iLive an iLife

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    My guess is that they will allow it because I can't see nthen having a feature on a premeir phone that is useless. However, I think they potentially may add an extra charge for it.
    It could just be other countries with different carriers that get the feature. AT&T isn't the only one that sells the iPhone.

But if we really are getting MMS, that means it really was Apple all along keeping us from having it and not AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    AT&T has to let us use MMS, if not im sure Apple will be upset and cause a lot of problems. All you have to do though is change your data plan from an iphone messaging one to a MediaNET unlimited one and you can send MMS.
    I have the unlimited messaging family plan???
    Last edited by Channan; 2009-03-19 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    I have the unlimited messaging family plan???
    Hmm, it worked for me. Try going to AT&T and showing them the iPhone with 3.0 and telling them the scenario, that worked for a few friends of mine
    iLive an iLife

Do you have 3.0. I called ATT and they said they added the flag to my account to say MMS=yes. But I cant get it to work, even changing to a sim that allows MMS in my work motorola phone.

Thanks

WHOA! Wait. Just to clear this up, I don't have 3.0. I'm talking about when 3.0 is released. Right now, MMS is disabled for AT&T accounts that use an iPhone, which is why SwirlyMMS doesn't work. But when Apple releases 3.0 to the public and has MMS built into the phone themselves, how is that going to work with AT&T? Are they going to be able to update ALL iPhone accounts to allow MMS at one time, or is everyone that already owns an iPhone going to have to call AT&T and have them add MMS to each individual person's account?

My original question was if AT&T was going to allow us to use MMS (because Apple adds the app doesn't necessarily mean MMS will work, just like tethering is included in 3.0 but won't be activated until AT&T allows it), but since you (Bernie and bosphil) said AT&T allowed it when you said you had 3.0, I guess they are going to enable it. Now my question is how they will do it for all iPhone accounts.

Thanks

The iPhone is MMS capable right now, the plan is not. Thats why if you switch to a MediaNET messaging plan it will work. If that doesnt work, show your 3.0 beta and explain to them its Apple approved now (although im sure Apple has given them a heads up) and they should let you use MMS. The MediaNEt plan is cheaper than the iphone messaging plan and is the same, just without MMS so i dont see why they would charge any more this summer.
    iLive an iLife

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    The iPhone is MMS capable right now, the plan is not. Thats why if you switch to a MediaNET messaging plan it will work. If that doesnt work, show your 3.0 beta and explain to them its Apple approved now (although im sure Apple has given them a heads up) and they should let you use MMS. The MediaNEt plan is cheaper than the iphone messaging plan and is the same, just without MMS so i dont see why they would charge any more this summer.
    I don't have an iPhone plan, though. The only thing keeping me from MMS with Swirly is my data plan. I could enable MMS on my line, but I can't have the unlimited data plan at the same time. I'm on a family plan with the $30 unlimited messaging a month.

But 3.0 isn't out to the public yet and I don't have it, so it doesn't matter at the moment. I'm just wondering if each individual iPhone owner is going to have to call AT&T and have them set up MMS on each line after 3.0 is released, or will AT&T do it automatically?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    I don't have an iPhone plan, though. The only thing keeping me from MMS with Swirly is my data plan. I could enable MMS on my line, but I can't have the unlimited data plan at the same time. I'm on a family plan with the $30 unlimited messaging a month.

But 3.0 isn't out to the public yet and I don't have it, so it doesn't matter at the moment. I'm just wondering if each individual iPhone owner is going to have to call AT&T and have them set up MMS on each line after 3.0 is released, or will AT&T do it automatically?
    Im pretty sure they will do it automatically, and since switching from an iPhone plan to a MediaNET one actually would save me $10 a month i dont see too much of a problem with them doing so
    iLive an iLife

I talked with AT&T yesterday. They will not turn it on until Apple releases 3.0.

I am going to try to get MMS added on my 3.0 iphone 3g.

I am an Apple dev. I am going into the store to do it. Any advice on what I need to make them do? I would like to know the most technical way of saying it without just saying give me MMS like everyone else. I want to know what they need to change SPECIFICALLY on their end to enable it.

Then again who knows on the 3.0 firmware what it would take.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'd ask them to enable WAP Push and set MMS to supported in Snooper (their system).

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianmarocco's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
    I am going to try to get MMS added on my 3.0 iphone 3g.

I am an Apple dev. I am going into the store to do it. Any advice on what I need to make them do? I would like to know the most technical way of saying it without just saying give me MMS like everyone else. I want to know what they need to change SPECIFICALLY on their end to enable it.

Then again who knows on the 3.0 firmware what it would take.
    I tried this yesterday, but on the phone, with 3 different reps...I gave up. I am gonna head to a store today. The last person I spoke with was helpful but said that he had no idea of what setting needed to be enabled on the phone itself to allow it to work, then he asked me point blank if I was using Swirly...they know and have been told from the high-ups and have a protocol to read to the consumer...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianmarocco View Post
    I tried this yesterday, but on the phone, with 3 different reps...I gave up. I am gonna head to a store today. The last person I spoke with was helpful but said that he had no idea of what setting needed to be enabled on the phone itself to allow it to work, then he asked me point blank if I was using Swirly...they know and have been told from the high-ups and have a protocol to read to the consumer...
    Thats why I strongly suggest going into a store and showing them 3.0, otherwise they will assume you are jailbroken and are using swirly. A few months aho there was a massive influx of people on the swirly boards who found out about WAP Push and called AT&T about MMS. The first of the group were able to enable WAP but then AT&T caught on.
    iLive an iLife

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianmarocco
    i tried this yesterday, but on the phone, with 3 different reps...i gave up. I am gonna head to a store today. The last person i spoke with was helpful but said that he had no idea of what setting needed to be enabled on the phone itself to allow it to work, then he asked me point blank if i was using swirly...they know and have been told from the high-ups and have a protocol to read to the consumer...
    lmfao!!!!!

I can use Swirly on AT&T with no problems. I also have 3.0 software but haven't installed it yet because I can't jailbreak it. I'm sure that if I used the 3.0 software I would be able to send MMS the same way.

For those that don't know: MMS is included in your texting package. Don't believe me, look at your rate plan options on AT&T's website. It's all there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by illuminatty View Post
    I can use Swirly on AT&T with no problems. I also have 3.0 software but haven't installed it yet because I can't jailbreak it. I'm sure that if I used the 3.0 software I would be able to send MMS the same way.

For those that don't know: MMS is included in your texting package. Don't believe me, look at your rate plan options on AT&T's website. It's all there.
    Well I can't, so I have to wait until 3.0 is publicly released. When that day comes, I'm going to spend a crap-load of time sending pics to everyone! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast