Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it kosher to discuss Rock Your Phone apps in here?

Question MyProfiles app (Rock Your Phone)
    Just checking if it's alright to discuss RYP apps in here; I don't want to piss anyone off.

If it's alright, I'd like to start a thread discussing MyProfiles.
    Last edited by eballesq; 2009-03-15 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Make title more descriptive

AS long as you didn't steal it. App discussion is fine, just not cracked ones

Cool; thanks Broomhead. No, I didn't steal anything; just a happy user.

In any case, if anyone has tried MyProfiles, it seems to work GREAT. I haven't noticed any conflicts with SBSettings, ToneFXs, or iRealSMS yet. Interested in hearing others' thoughts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

MyProfiles actually overrides any settings in SBSettings. When adding custom SMS tones you have to put your stock setting to "none" or both will play. When selecting a custom SMS tone you have to choose from ringtones, not SMS tones (unless they fixed it). I noticed a slowdown in overall system performance with this running... could be a daemon. It also wouldn't vibrate when I had my phone on silent when getting a text message. I finally got fed up and uninstalled.

Yea it says in the description its still a working BETA. Like intelliscreen it needs works, but Mario will get it figured out no worries. You should actually email him with your issues. He doesnt take long to fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    MyProfiles actually overrides any settings in SBSettings. When adding custom SMS tones you have to put your stock setting to "none" or both will play. When selecting a custom SMS tone you have to choose from ringtones, not SMS tones (unless they fixed it). I noticed a slowdown in overall system performance with this running... could be a daemon. It also wouldn't vibrate when I had my phone on silent when getting a text message. I finally got fed up and uninstalled.
    At least you tried to. I checked and compared the system before and after uninstalling. A LOT of files remain within the file system.

Worse than that. If you try to uninstall the Rock Installer, it will leave tons of files on the iPhone and (happened for me), SSH stopped working. I guess they are messing up with ssl libs and/or configs. Re-Installing Rock installer solved the problem.

Looks like once you install RYP you're doomed to it until full, time intensive restore

[EDIT] As for MyProfiles:

It just plays 1 ringtone (Marimba), no matter what you tell this software to do and reminder/notifications/alerts (whatever you want to call it) don't work at all.
    I think (not really proven) that it drains the battery fast.
    Last edited by llew; 2009-03-15 at 09:11 PM.

i am very pleased with elert

nothing much but it works well for being free

the whole installation process astounded me with how easy it is

the only thing i have found is when you do rock updates, the respring takes like 10 min

Annoyed me more and more. The bugs of Profiles, the iPhone app, burnt unremoveably on my device, the weird shop, few days after cydia store.

Oh well, my cydia store didn't work right anymore. Under managed packages there was the iPhone firmware ONLY. All my other appl vanished and so myProfile.

That did it.

Rebootet some times, tested... and then... Restored my iPhone to factory setting and set everything up again. My beautiful sunday evening is burned beyond recognition. I'm outta this Rock Stuff, forever!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
    Just checking if it's alright to discuss RYP apps in here; I don't want to piss anyone off.

If it's alright, I'd like to start a thread discussing MyProfiles.
    Well, seeing as this forum is for posting new app launches and you just want to discuss an app, I think this thread would be more appropriate in the "Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion" forum.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Interesting; I haven't experienced those issues at all. My custom SMS tone (through ToneFXs) is playing, as are my custom ringtones. I hear what you're saying about overriding SBSettings, though -- that makes sense.

The alerts feature also seems to work well -- this is essentially the solution to my wish for different e-mail alerts.

FWIW, the RYP folks responded very promptly when I had an original issue with the install and Cydia compatibility. As with any new software there are bound to be bugs. Such is life in the jailbreak community, I suppose...