Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hebrew keyboard for 2.2.1

Default Hebrew keyboard for 2.2.1
    Hello,

I'm currently learning hebrew. Right until a few days ago I had hebDev installed on my iphone and it worked PERFECTLY. Now I got a replacement iPhone from Apple and when I was to about to install hebdev I found that the repository did not load.

I check on the hebdev.com website and apparently they're closing down. I don't fully understand everything but they dure point towards the commercial iphone.co.il which sells the same for 30 dollars. But the 2.2.1 version isn't yet ready.

Does anyone know of a way to install a hebrew keyboard?
    To be honest I don't need any translations, just the keyboard and the system support of right-to-left text.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

At present I'm not aware of any free method to install a Hebrew keyboard. HebDev was the only option but apparently the group wasn't very stable and disbanded. Their last package for v2.2 is still available, if you wish to downgrade to 2.2 you can install it, PM me I'll show you how.

There seems to be efforts to found a new team to develop Hebrew for free but it will take time...

Quote Originally Posted by blurb35 View Post
    At present I'm not aware of any free method to install a Hebrew keyboard. HebDev was the only option but apparently the group wasn't very stable and disbanded. Their last package for v2.2 is still available, if you wish to downgrade to 2.2 you can install it, PM me I'll show you how.

There seems to be efforts to found a new team to develop Hebrew for free but it will take time...
    Thanks blurb.. do you know where I can keep myself informed of progress in this regard?
    I do not know of any iphone forum for hebrew-speaking users!

Of course my level of hebrew is no-where near advance enough to understand most of what is written but I can always use a translator.. it really helps I can read haaretz or any other online newspaper in hebrew while on the move..

todah rabah

The hebdev hebrew for 2.2 only was re-released by one of the ex-group members. The source url is src.ph1.co.il . That same member promised to release the source code so the community can update it as open source to 2.2.1.

There are two forums where you can obtain updates, but you need to know Hebrew for that... One is iphones.co.il and one is ph1.co.il. The first one is owned by the guys that release the commercial Hebrew package and they sometimes censor threads that mention the free alternative (amazing that they think they can achieve something with that approach other than dissent). The other forum is owned by the same ex-member that just re-released the cydia source.
    Last edited by blurb35; 2009-03-09 at 07:05 AM.

Default free hebrew & keyboard for 2.2.1
    We have again free hebrew that works on 2.2 and 2.2.1. In cydia add the source tom.zickel.oro/openhebrew.

Oh, and if you happened to install the ph1 stuff, be careful not to remove it. They have a bug in their uninstall script which wipes essential system files.