Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change Boot Screen to Verbose Mode (Think ZiPhone)

Default Change Boot Screen to Verbose Mode (Think ZiPhone)
    I didn't know where to put this, so moderators move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary.

Anywho, I found this neat command from an iPod Touch Fans forum thread here which allows you to change the normal "Apple" logo only boot screen to the screen with a bunch of lines of code/commands scrolling through the screen (i.e. verbose mode). If you've used ZiPhone before, you'll know what I am talking about. I read through some of the posts in the iTF thread and some people are claiming that verbose mode made their devices boot faster.

Here's a few videos of it:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63kY01gsI1g"]YouTube - NEW iPOD TOUCH BOOTSCREEN[/ame]
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=BO9T_DwZQXI"]YouTube - iPhone Hack: Boot in Verbose Mode[/ame]

To get the verbose mode:

1. Make sure you have BSD Subsystem 2.1 installed.
    2. Open a terminal
    3. Issue this command:
    Code:
    nvram boot-args="-v"
    4. Reboot
    5. You'll see the Apple logo for a few seconds and then it'll start showing the verbose mode like ZiPhone and in the YouTube video.

To go back to the normal mode:
    Same steps as above except issue this command to clear the verbose argument:
    Code:
    nvram boot-args=
    Last edited by likwidfuzion; 2008-03-02 at 09:19 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to likwidfuzion For This Useful Post:

ultimatexpka (2008-04-15), xeronex (2008-03-15)

have been using this for a while now, i like it cause i am a geek, but can report no boot time speed increase, it simply reveals what was already happening under that GUI apple
    iDevice-less, for once. flirting with Andy Roid atm, looking to rekindle romance if the right handset comes along

what a nice little mod, thanx

So this doesn't affect ANYTHING except making it show a command?

Useless, except for troubleshooting (in which case it's probably too late) but nonetheless pretty cool. Apple support wont like it! Thanks!
    Anyone interested in a trade? See here:
    Trade: 16GB iPod touch + case + speakers + CASH for 16GB iPhone

Windows, just another pane in the glass.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iAlexander For This Useful Post:

rafx80 (2010-05-27)

Quote Originally Posted by wePhone View Post
    So this doesn't affect ANYTHING except making it show a command?
    Nope, all it does is show what the iPhone/iPod Touch is doing at bootup (starting processes). As I said before, some people claimed it made their devices boot faster (some reported as low as a 6 second boot time), but YMMV (your mileage may vary) as there are too many variables to consider. For me, my iPhone booted in 25 seconds with verbose mode on.

I'm definately going to be doing this when I get my iPhone.

Haha this is awesome. It does seem to boot a tad faster, but nothing major really.
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!

Ill still waiting for someone to make a typo with nvram and brick their phone

Quote Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d View Post
    Ill still waiting for someone to make a typo with nvram and brick their phone
    Commands must be entered with the correct syntax and arguments. Otherwise, the shell will just return "unknown/not found". It's just as if you type in "rm asdfasdfaserwesadfasd -a32e". Nothing will happen cause more than likely "asdfasdfaserwesadfasd" doesn't exist and "-a32e" is also an invalid argument.

Also, for most people who think bricking is easy, it is actually not too simple. Most of the time, a restore in iTunes will solve 99% of the problems of "bricked devices." The only possible exception to this is screwing up the baseband and/or bootloader (e.g. bad unlock or bad baseband downgrade).

Would this work with the Cydia bsd replacement if i have fake_bsd installed?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBito View Post
    It should.

So i installed mobileterminal on my iphone, and it's asking for a password? HELP!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to teufel657 For This Useful Post:

qben88 (2008-03-05)

Quote Originally Posted by teufel657 View Post
    So i installed mobileterminal on my iphone, and it's asking for a password? HELP!
    In Installer, install SUID Lib Fix under Tweaks (1.1.3) and BSD Subsystem 2.0 Termfix under Tweaks.

Then when you open the terminal, put in alpine for the password.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to likwidfuzion For This Useful Post:

teufel657 (2008-03-02)

Quote Originally Posted by likwidfuzion View Post
    In Installer, install SUID Lib Fix under Tweaks (1.1.3) and BSD Subsystem 2.0 Termfix under Tweaks.

Then when you open the terminal, put in alpine for the password.
    Bananas! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBito View Post
    I can report that it works fine with Cydia and "Fake BSD" perfectly.

Have fun

doesnt work for me. it still shows the same boot up screen. I have installer + cydia but no fake bsd because I had installed bsd before installing cydia.

Plus my cydia keeps crashing before starting. any help guys.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This is l33t

Would be nice to have an app that could switch this on/off?
    Benz SL55 493HP+ (jammer/detector/intake/lowered/illuminatedsills)
    Jag XJR 400HP+ (jammer/detector/straightpipe)

me too, i had installer, i installed cydia.
    i tried this command but i get an error -1 in terminal and its not accepted?? any idea. i dont have fake bsd installed though!! should i???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast