Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Request: Commander Keen

Default Request: Commander Keen
    I don't know if Requests are allowed in this forum- but I did not see any other section for them so ill lay it here-
    This may be a stretch for the coding, but seeing NES emulator on iPhone, was wondering if it was possible to do Commander Keen episodes on the iPhone?

Well if any noble coder would like to take a crack at it, Ive got Keen Ultimate Collection if needed
    - as if its hard to get.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'd pay. Well maybe not, but I'd play.

Default Commander Keen on iPhone/iPod
    Hey, just stumbled upon this thread.

I just finished my first version of an iPhone/iPod port of Commander Keen (or more exact of the Commander Genius clone, afaik the most complete CK clone).

Commander Genius (earlier "CloneKeenPlus") has full support for Commander Keen 1-3 and many mods of it. It even have some additional features like 2-player-support (didn't really tried that one myself, so cannot say much about it). We are also working on support of CK4-6, so stay tuned!

CG is open source, the main branch is in the official SourceForge SVN repo. I created also a Git repo on GitHub and you can access my iPhone branch there if you are interested:
    albertz's commandergenius at iphone - GitHub

You can also download the binary itself as a ZIP-file:
    Browse CloneKeen Plus Files on SourceForge.net

This one comes with the shareware episode 1. For episode 2 and 3, buy them from 3D Realms.

This ZIP-file needs a jailbreaked iPhone/iPod though and only works for iPhoneOS >=2.2.1. It works smooth on my 3GS (whereby could still be better) but don't know how it works on the older systems.

For further information, visit the Public Commander Keen Forum:
    Public Commander Keen Forum :: View topic - Commander Keen for iPhone (based on Commander Genius)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be cool if it is smooth with good controls. I really enjoy platform games!
    kwickone I.T.H.

I just made an update. Added some further control, also some optional graphical overlay for the controls so you can see them (but you can also hide them).

Game is also more smooth, I think it is really good playable.

Also fixed some cases where you were not able to go out of a dialog (because you need to press a key which was not there).

Also, app will always quit now.

And I added load/save support.

Here a video of me, playing CK in the iPhone simulator.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQsI2hshEHg]YouTube - Commander Keen 1 on iPhone / iPod[/ame]
    Last edited by albertz; 2009-11-18 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Looks cool. I will download and check it out. Thanks.

OK, copied the .app folder to the iPhone Applications directory and re-sprung the phone. I see the icon but it does not launch. Do I need to change perms on some files?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kwickone; 2009-11-18 at 04:38 PM.
    kwickone I.T.H.

Hm. There is one file "Commander Genius iPhone" inside the app which need to be executable, and everything need to be readable of course (both for all users). But nothing else should be needed.

Does anything happen when you click on the app or is it really nothing?

Do you know how to check the console output? If so, can you post it here? Perhaps there is some error written there.

What OS-version do you have? I think you need OS >=2.2.1.

Thanks

I am running 3.1.2

The app actually tries to launch...that typical iPhone animation of something launching. I see a black screen for < 1 sec and it goes back to the Springboard. I will check the perms on that file.

I have not performed any "console output" before. I can try that if you let me know how.

Thanks.

EDIT: Looks like it was the perms on that file. I changed it to 755 and now it launches! Thanks!

Does run very smooth.

My only struggle so far is the control mechanism. Having the movement buttons right on top of the screen action is hard to deal with.

Maybe you could move them to lower right and left for movement, and just above those for jump or other things?

Just a thought. Otherwise it is a very nice port!

Thanks.
    Last edited by kwickone; 2009-11-18 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    kwickone I.T.H.

On top? Movement buttons are on the bottom.

But yea, could be optimised. Not sure exactly what would be the most playable way. I think left+right should be very close to each other, you should do those movements with one hand. And with your other hand, you should do the rest, like jumping/pogo and fireing. If you have a good sugestion, perhaps can you draw an easy draft?

I think movement is already fine, only sometimes I accidently press jump. But you get very soon used to it, I already played through whole episode 1 again on my iPhone.

It's in the ModMyi repo now:

ModMyi.com | Commander Genius

So just open your Cydia, search for Commander Genius and install.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by albertz View Post
    On top? Movement buttons are on the bottom.

But yea, could be optimised. Not sure exactly what would be the most playable way. I think left+right should be very close to each other, you should do those movements with one hand. And with your other hand, you should do the rest, like jumping/pogo and fireing. If you have a good sugestion, perhaps can you draw an easy draft?
    When I said "on top" I meant the buttons actually cover some of the play area. Look in your video pic you posted above. The gray area (buttons) cover some of the platforms and even Mr. Keen himself at times. That makes it confusing to me when I press a button directly on top of the person I am controlling.

I would say you are correct in your assessment. Control (left, right) should be right next to each other. And jump/fire should be also, but maybe on the very bottom right (controls on very bottom left.

Not sure if it is possible for you (and since this is such an old game), but a lot of games like this for the iPhone have a type of "circle" control for the movement. That way you can just use one finger or thumb and just move around the circle to control left/right up/down.

Hope that makes sense....and I look forward to updates.
    kwickone I.T.H.

Ah I see. Yea I know but I couldn't really thought of a better solution. In many other games like Doom, Quake or Wolfenstein, it is also similar.

I could also make it in a way that the game screen would be smaller and you have a special field for the buttons. I think some of the emulators does it that way. But it would look really tiny then.

For Keen 1-3, only left+right movement matters, so ingame, the other top/down buttons are not really of any use. But they will become important when we add Keen 4-6 support later.

I will see what I can improve.