Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Packager

Question Cydia Packager
    I saw this come up on installer today via http://apptapp.saurik.com/ source.

Anyone have any idea what this is?
    I found this: http://de.pastebin.ca/919797

Anyone know if this is safe to install? Screenshots?

i used this installer to install python properly with its pyobjc bindings.
    now im able to code in python for the iphone.
    works fine for me and is way better than the installer

Can you still have installer installed?

It says under the package info to uninstall bsd.

Can you post screenshots?

Can you still install installer apps?

I just installed it on my 1.1.4 16gig iphone, everything is A OK so far

Default Here's the author's write-up
    Quote Originally Posted by shaiss View Post
    Can you still have installer installed?

It says under the package info to uninstall bsd.

Can you post screenshots?

Can you still install installer apps?

You can find the creator's full explanation at:

http://www.saurik.com/id/1

Looks really impressive.

Peace!

And YES, it is compatible with Installer, from his explanation:

"Cydia/APT does not conflict with Installer. I run both on my phone and have a large amount of software installed via Installer. There are currently no known compatibility issues..."

It is kind of ironic though that you need to install it via Installer...because the hope is that it could become an Installer *replacement*!
    Last edited by rmb; 2008-02-28 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I was just about to post about this when I saw that someone else got to it first
    Anyways, it looks like the alphabetical order that we all wanted to have in installer and the "search" function is added in this little app and so far I like how it looks.

The screenshots you all wanted to see ( not from my iPhone...yet

-apt_snap_193230.jpg

-apt_snap_193201.jpg

-apt_snap_193221.jpg

-apt_snap_193241.jpg

-apt_snap_193252.jpg

-apt_snap_193323.jpg

-apt_snap_193339.jpg

-apt_snap_193358.jpg

Later,
    RaMod
    RaMod!
    If I helped you out, please press ... thanks!

=The iPhone?!...wait!...what happened!?=

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RaMod For This Useful Post:

abujala (2008-02-29)

Thanks

yeah I've been using this for about month now, when it was in beta with a newly written MMi deb for it (thanks to francis). Its better than installer in several ways. The sources load faster and it actually tells you what's going on during installation of apps, not just a simple bar at the bottom like installer. The search feature is excellent. Funny how It took Saurik 10 days to develop the GUI for Cydia, yet Installer's been with us for months and it lacks....
    It won't ever support installer sources; the point of it is to move away from the buggy clunkiness of the Installer XML.
    I've been told that the only thing stopping this from really taking off is some of the packagers' stubborness to change to Cydia, so don't dump installer just yet!

By the way, don't be scared to get rid of BSD when you install Cydia, binaries inside it do BSD's job, just install "Fake BSD Subsystem to trick Installer into thinking you have BSD installed.

Oh yes and I used putty to install mine, I think.
    Last edited by dale1v; 2008-02-28 at 10:22 PM.

Thumbs up works great!!
    I've installed on my 1.1.3 iphone and it works great and I didn't have any conflicts w/ installer.

I love it and so far I can't believe how fast is working and the GUI its amazing ...can't wait for more updates on this!!

People need to try this!!

Later,
    RaMod

ps: I posted some screenshots in the above post ... now its on my Phone
    RaMod!
    If I helped you out, please press ... thanks!

=The iPhone?!...wait!...what happened!?=

I think the problem is the adoption of a new package management system.

It's equivalent as going from Windows to Linux. People who are already "comfortable" with Installer/Windows would need reasons to use Cydia/Linux.

and how do you uninstall bsd ? :[

Quote Originally Posted by Cocchiararo View Post
    and how do you uninstall bsd ? :[
    Cydia "uninstalls" BSD when it installs. I quoted uninstall as it'll still appear installed in Installer.app (since there's only a Reinstall option), but Cydia will remove BSD files on the disk.

oh, so i had it uninstalled already :P

didnt understand that part of Cydia :P

Thats gay.. I dont like this installer and after download it you cant unistall this ****** app so you have to restore your phone

awesome work, much faster than installer.app and so glad someones paying much needed attention to ruby and python on Mobile OSX

thid this app move my apps to the media partition while it was being installed ? :/
    i had moved my fonts so i didnt need that...

iPhone? More like MyPhone oldskoolkid13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post

By the way, don't be scared to get rid of BSD when you install Cydia, binaries inside it do BSD's job, just install "Fake BSD Subsystem to trick Installer into thinking you have BSD installed.
    how and where do u get fake bsd subsystem and how will it affect the apps that require bsd?

If I helped you at all please hit the thanks button 4 me!

I have problem with this app in my 1.1.3 iPhone which I was jailbreak with ziphone 2.4. after installation was down and I restart my iphone, I see only the apple logo !! I try to SSH and worked by chance and delete the Cydia. app from iphone and restart by holding home and wake, after some while iPhone back to the good position again, I check installer and the Cydia Pak was there and I re-instling again but I got this WARNING: BSD Subsystem attempts to install broken versions of the same tools you might install vis Packager.. After I push OK, and the job down, I restart but again am back to the apple logo, any help, I make some thing wrong ? Also impossible to Uninstall this app !!

Thanks

Guys, i installed Cydia after i restored 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 i noticed it moved my apps,ringtones and fonts but when i had to restore my Iphone again to 1.1.4 due to a glitch i ssh into my Iphoen afterwards and cant seem to find my Applications it's just the folder but empty, i knew my Apps were moved for me but i cant find it, only after i reinstalled cydia that my Applications became visible again, if in any cas ei need to restore my Iphone again i think the same thing will happen again my Applications will be invisible again. Can i just unistall Cydia and get my Applicatiosn back to the smaller partition, i am thinking of restoring my Iphone again due to some apps conflict.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aws3ya View Post
    Guys, i installed Cydia after i restored 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 i noticed it moved my apps,ringtones and fonts but when i had to restore my Iphone again to 1.1.4 due to a glitch i ssh into my Iphoen afterwards and cant seem to find my Applications it's just the folder but empty, i knew my Apps were moved for me but i cant find it, only after i reinstalled cydia that my Applications became visible again, if in any cas ei need to restore my Iphone again i think the same thing will happen again my Applications will be invisible again. Can i just unistall Cydia and get my Applicatiosn back to the smaller partition, i am thinking of restoring my Iphone again due to some apps conflict.
    Same thing happened to me. When you click on Applications folders it looks like it is in /private/var/applications (or something like that) and folder is empty. I had to move the applications folder to private folder and then the applications reappeared. I then copied applications folder with app's in it to my computer, deleted folder, created new folder on / directory and then copied app's into folder one at a time. Still had to uninstall and reinstall a couple app's because they did not show up. Everything appears to be working ok.

At least for now Cydia was a bigger headache than it is worth for me.

Thanks

any one know how and what is the best way to unistall Cydia with out loosing Applications, i want to restore my Iphone and would like to uinstall Cydia all other apps before that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast