Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mobile-RSS

I had a freshly restored 114. I installed MobileRSS, ran the commands via terminal (mac), restarted the phone, and it worked.
    It might also have something to do with other commands I ran as I setup the phone beforehand:
    chmod 777 /var/root/Library
    chmod 777 /var/root/Library/Preferences
    chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile
    mkdir -p /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/lib
    ln -s /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/lib/
    mkdir -p /usr/local/lib
    ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib /usr/local/lib/.

I always do the above after a fresh restore (on 113 & 114 anyways) as this will help various apps to run properly (MobileFinder, iRadio, etc.)

After a fresh restore I always do things in this order, and it seems to work fine for me:
    - From installer, install BSD then BossTools
    - exit installer, run BossTools & move fonts, ringtones & apps
    - back in installer, install openSSH & bossprefs
    - exit installer, run BossPrefs, turn SSH on, and in bossprefs prefs turn openSSH on at startup.
    - then I connect via terminal to get the SSH key set.
    - once connected via ssh, I run the above commands.
    - then I go crazy installing lots of apps!

Quote Originally Posted by batter View Post
    I know how to SSH into my phone but how do you go about entering this script?
    It's not a script. You enter the commands via terminal (mac) or winSCP ? (I forget what the PC equivalent is)
    Last edited by jrentzke; 2008-03-05 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    I had a freshly restored 114. I installed MobileRSS, ran the commands via terminal (mac), restarted the phone, and it worked.
    It might also have something to do with other commands I ran as I setup the phone beforehand:
    chmod 777 /var/root/Library
    chmod 777 /var/root/Library/Preferences
    chown -R mobile:mobile /var/mobile
    mkdir -p /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/lib
    ln -s /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib /usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/lib/
    mkdir -p /usr/local/lib
    ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib /usr/local/lib/.

I always do the above after a fresh restore (on 113 & 114 anyways) as this will help various apps to run properly (MobileFinder, iRadio, etc.)

After a fresh restore I always do things in this order, and it seems to work fine for me:
    - From installer, install BSD then BossTools
    - exit installer, run BossTools & move fonts, ringtones & apps
    - back in installer, install openSSH & bossprefs
    - exit installer, run BossPrefs, turn SSH on, and in bossprefs prefs turn openSSH on at startup.
    - then I connect via terminal to get the SSH key set.
    - once connected via ssh, I run the above commands.
    - then I go crazy installing lots of apps!

It's not a script. You enter the commands via terminal (mac) or winSCP ? (I forget what the PC equivalent is)
    I SSH into my phone using winSCP, but I need a little more detailed information or is someone can point to the correct thread that shows or walks one through how to enter commands.

Is there something you select or a shortcut that opens up a window to enter commands in or what?

I know how to move files into and out of phone and change permission, but have never entered commands before and want to make sure I do it correctly, so I don't cause a problem.

in winscp, ctrl +t to bring up the command box

jrentzke, I tried what you suggested, did not work either. I guess I must wait for a new version that is compatible to 1.1.4
    Last edited by romeo0119; 2008-03-05 at 04:33 PM.

didn't work for me. i followed jrentzke instructions, even did a restore just for this and couldn't get it to work...

Hmm, sorry to hear about this - how frustrating!

I don't know what else to suggest, as that is all that I did. When I ran it for the first time, there were no feeds, but I just added the quick links & updated.

Just so that you guys don't think I'm just making this up, here are some screen shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -snap_105211.jpg   -snap_105231.jpg   -snap_105251.jpg   -snap_105356.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by batter View Post
    I SSH into my phone using winSCP, but I need a little more detailed information or is someone can point to the correct thread that shows or walks one through how to enter commands.

Is there something you select or a shortcut that opens up a window to enter commands in or what?

I know how to move files into and out of phone and change permission, but have never entered commands before and want to make sure I do it correctly, so I don't cause a problem.
    Sorry about the confusion. I'm on a mac - I just had a look at winSCP, and it seems the program that you need to use is called Putty:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/16985

That has an xterm terminal emulator built-in. Use that to enter the commands.

I dont understand how one person iphone would work and another wouldn't. Just strange to me. Maybe because I didnt use bosstool to move my app

Default Success getting MobileRSS to work on 1.1.4 JB Ziphone
    I have been able to get MobileRSS working on my 1.1.4 JB with Ziphone 2.5. It still won't import from an OPML file, but everything else works.

After trying other fixes unsuccessfully, I noticed that RSS creates a directory named MobileRSS in two directories. I deleted one copy and replaced it with a symbolic link to the other copy.

Here are the commands:

cd /var/root/Library/Preferences
    mv MobileRSS MobileRSS-old
    ln -s /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/MobileRSS MobileRSS

Restart the phone and you should be all set. BTW, importing still doesn't work. And RSS still crashes from time to time.

Aha, that's what made it work for me - I had a symbolic link setup in /var/root/Library to the Preferences folder in /var/mobile/Library

Yep that worked for me, didnt think about symlink the old folder from root to mobile. Thanks guys

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

RSS blows on 1.1.3 and up. Even if you get it to work (which I did, no problem) it only half works. You set it to manually update and it still constantly pops up updated feeds making you have to clear it out all the time, some as soon as 3 minutes after you last went in.

thanks a lot, finally i have that app working

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    RSS blows on 1.1.3 and up. Even if you get it to work (which I did, no problem) it only half works. You set it to manually update and it still constantly pops up updated feeds making you have to clear it out all the time, some as soon as 3 minutes after you last went in.
    Yes, that has become quite a pain. It reduces your battery time too, which, lts face it, none of us need.

I think until its sorted, I am going to use the google reader.

For clarity, this is all I had to do to get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ski2020 View Post
    I have been able to get MobileRSS working on my 1.1.4 JB with Ziphone 2.5. It still won't import from an OPML file, but everything else works.

After trying other fixes unsuccessfully, I noticed that RSS creates a directory named MobileRSS in two directories. I deleted one copy and replaced it with a symbolic link to the other copy.

Here are the commands:

cd /var/root/Library/Preferences
    mv MobileRSS MobileRSS-old
    ln -s /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/MobileRSS MobileRSS

Restart the phone and you should be all set. BTW, importing still doesn't work. And RSS still crashes from time to time.
    Can anyone import from an OPML?

martinsjtd
    Default nothing here...
    used the ssh with winscp and nothing...
    any clues?

Default rss ?
    it use to work befor i updated with ZIPHONE now it wont allow me to add
    nothing

New version is out , 2.5. I wonder if it fix the crashing problem

Just tested it out. It now can load up OPML files, which 2.4.1 could not do.

Bad thing though is, after refreshing threads. The index shows there are unread items, but when I go inside, no matter how I update and refresh, there are no news feeds for me to click into inside!!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Looks like SmartRSS is still going to be my main feeder.

Mazor

just tries out the v2.5 too. I am on 1.1.1
    I cannot save any feeds, be it manual adding or using the quick add. They dun show up in the main screen of mobileRSS after i clicked 'save'....

Uninstalled it AGAIN.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Talking Thank you!!!
    SmartRss blows - so happy this fix worked !! THX!!!
    Last edited by twinturboman; 2008-03-21 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast