Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mobile-RSS

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I hope in future updates they make the ability to collapse a feed so you dont have to keep scrolling to see 1 feed

Instead of collapsing, have it so you can choose which feed to load. If you have many feeds and you go to load up the program, it will take either to long to download or quit after a certain amount of time. Allowing to choose a feed and to download would prevent this and save time.

- Garrett

Better still - daemonize it, make it download all day long. And add collapsing options. And add picture viewing inline - you know, it's for the kids!

Default Blank white screen?
    i tap the "i" in the top right corner, and hit + at the bottom. I tap in the field next to Feed, and type in my feed. I hit save and it brings me to the main screen, but nothing is there. Is there any special format to the feed? example for TUAW i put in:

feed://www.tuaw.com/rss.xml

which is their RSS feed URL. am i doing something wrong?

is it just me or is it more convenient and quicker to use www.getleaflets.com's feed tool, which loads pictures and has a sidebar for feeds...
    this app has potential but needs work

Default Coming soon
    Quote Originally Posted by .:MirrorminD:. View Post
    I hope in future updates they make the ability to collapse a feed so you dont have to keep scrolling to see 1 feed
    That ability will be coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by garretwp View Post
    Instead of collapsing, have it so you can choose which feed to load. If you have many feeds and you go to load up the program, it will take either to long to download or quit after a certain amount of time. Allowing to choose a feed and to download would prevent this and save time.

- Garrett
    This also is coming soon. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by peeti View Post
    Better still - daemonize it, make it download all day long. And add collapsing options. And add picture viewing inline - you know, it's for the kids!
    Yup, this is also coming soon.

Also picture viewing works right now.
    As long as it is html that is provided by the RSS feed it will show pictures.
    For an example you can add my blog's RSS and you will see that the pictures in my posts show up just fine. http://feeds.feedburner.com/DallasBrown

Quote Originally Posted by steinah View Post
    i tap the "i" in the top right corner, and hit + at the bottom. I tap in the field next to Feed, and type in my feed. I hit save and it brings me to the main screen, but nothing is there. Is there any special format to the feed? example for TUAW i put in:

feed://www.tuaw.com/rss.xml

which is their RSS feed URL. am i doing something wrong?

is it just me or is it more convenient and quicker to use www.getleaflets.com's feed tool, which loads pictures and has a sidebar for feeds...
    this app has potential but needs work

You are putting in the wrong URL.
    Try: http://feeds.tuaw.com/weblogsinc/tuaw

You have to put in proper web url's.
    And like I said above, we already support images in feeds, as long as the feed outputs HTML. One thing we could do now that I think about it would be to catch image url's in non-html feeds and grab them anyways, but we will see. Maybe if there is enough people wanting that feature.

As for leaflets... Leaflets is a Web app not a native app.
    Last edited by kdbdallas; 2007-09-09 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kdbdallas For This Useful Post:

antiflash (2007-09-10), porktart (2007-11-26), rperalta (2007-09-09)

Cool...the actual developer is in this forum. Thanks for joining and answering the questions.

I hope you would release a new version with new features soon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rperalta For This Useful Post:

jce469 (2007-12-01)

Thanks for that help, but how did you find that URL? when i clicked the RSS button it gave me the feed i listed, not the one you did. is there an easy way to find the correct feed URL of sites?

Thanks for the offline download!! About 80% of my commute is over 70MPH and so I can't get a very good signal. Would LOVE to be able to read downloaded story headlines (with pictures of course).

Thanks again for this great app and your efforts!!

P

Default RSS Database file...?
    Love this app! This might be a stupid question, but is there a file or location that we can edit on our computer that holds the addresses of the RSS feeds used by MobileRSS. In other words, if I had a list of RSS feeds that I use in a text file on my computer, I could just copy and paste them into this file, and not have to chicken-peck (type) them in on the iPhone keyboard? Also, it would be cool if we had a list/repository for lots of cool RSS feed addresses that work.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rperalta View Post
    Cool...the actual developer is in this forum. Thanks for joining and answering the questions.

I hope you would release a new version with new features soon.
    I am working on a couple other iphone projects as well, but I hope to be coming out with a new release pretty soon

Quote Originally Posted by steinah View Post
    Thanks for that help, but how did you find that URL? when i clicked the RSS button it gave me the feed i listed, not the one you did. is there an easy way to find the correct feed URL of sites?
    When I go to the site and click on the RSS image in the URL that is the page that comes up and shows up in my browser. If you are using safari try doing it in firefox. safari might be doing something strange. or if you are using firefox try safari :-)

Thanks for the offline download!! About 80% of my commute is over 70MPH and so I can't get a very good signal. Would LOVE to be able to read downloaded story headlines (with pictures of course).

P
    Firstly pictures are supported like I mentioned before.

Secondly it is my goal (hopfully in the next "major" release) to allow you to specify how often you want to look for updates, and have it work in the background to grab feeds say every 5 minutes and then show you on the icon how many new items there are. With that you could specify certain feeds to only update on manual update, and feeds that you have downloaded before will show up when you start the app even if you do not have an internet connection.

That blurb right there is my next major goal for the app.

P
    Oh.... and it kind of scares me to think of you driving 70MPH while you read RSS feeds....

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Love this app! This might be a stupid question, but is there a file or location that we can edit on our computer that holds the addresses of the RSS feeds used by MobileRSS. In other words, if I had a list of RSS feeds that I use in a text file on my computer, I could just copy and paste them into this file, and not have to chicken-peck (type) them in on the iPhone keyboard? Also, it would be cool if we had a list/repository for lots of cool RSS feed addresses that work.

Thanks!
    Not a stupid question at all...
    The only way to do this would be to open the file on your computer, edit it, and put it back. Doing that..... well there are many ways to do it. One would be (if you are on a mac) use something like iPhoneDisk to be able to mount your iphone as a hard drive, then find: /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.google.code.mobile-rss.plist (I am pretty sure that is the path of the top of my head) So you would browse to that file, open it in your favorite text editor and then save it and close it. Then next time you open Mobile RSS it would go off that list.

Special note: if you modify your plist by hand and do not edit it correctly it could cause mobile rss not to work! If you try and fail, just delete the file to go back to the basic plist
    Last edited by kdbdallas; 2007-09-10 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Cool. A number badge next to the icon telling us how many new feeds we have...awesome, why didn't i think of that.

Can't wait for that release.

kdbdallas,

Thank you for the info! That is exactly what I was asking for. I will edit the file in PlistEditPro on my Mac (so the formatting doesn't get screwed), and I will let you know how it works.

Thank you again for the quick response!

-Berserker

kdbdallas,

I edited the plist file, put it back, and it works great! Thanks! Sure beats typing it in on the iPhone. Only feeds I can't get to work are:

feed://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories
    feed://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/us

I've replaced the "feed:" with http:, and even "http://feed.rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/us" but it doesn't show. Is there a special way of titleing these kinds of feeds that start with "feed://"?

Thanks again,

-Berserker
    Last edited by Berserker; 2007-09-10 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default RSS "non" Standards
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I edited the plist file, put it back, and it works great! Thanks! Sure beats typing it in on the iPhone. Only feeds I can't get to work are:

feed://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories
    feed://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/us

I've replaced the "feed:" with http:, and even "http://feed.rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/us" but it doesn't show. Is there a special way of titleing these kinds of feeds that start with "feed://"?
    The problem is that even though RSS is a standard, some websites do their own thing within that standard. That then leaves me having to pick up the pieces to make my app support everyone. Unfortantly at this early stage in the game, Mobile RSS doesn't support every feed, but in time, it should. The problem is finding all the different variations. So if you have a feed that doesn't work please let me know the feed URL and then I can update the app to work with it. If you could submit a bug/issue on the googlecode page, I would appreciate it. (that way I don't forget the issue or the URL)

I will add support for those feeds in the next minor release.

As for feed:// URL's the majority of the time you can just change feed:// to http://. In the next minor release I will add support to auto-change url's entered as feed:// to http://.

(if you wouldn't mind adding this issue to googlecode while you are there, I would appreciate it)

is it planned, to sync the rss feeds, when i have a wireless hotspot and after leaving the hotspot, i can still read the feeds "offline" without making edge traffic?

---
    i saw your cool looking provider logo on your code.google page.
    can you tell me, where i can get this?
    thx

Yes it does.

As for the carrier logo I cant find that exact one anymore but found one very close on this site in a package called carrierlogos1 or something close to that

Default mark as "read" planed for the future of this app?
    it's great there is a rss reader native app being developed for the iphone.

will you be adding the ability to mark news items as "read"? so we dont have to sift through all the news items we don't care about.

Yes.

In fact...

Mobile RSS Version 2.0 has now been released!!!!

It should be added to Installer.app soon, for now it is available on the google code site at: http://code.google.com/p/mobile-rss/

Enjoy!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kdbdallas For This Useful Post:

The Spirit (2007-11-23)

i cant see to unzip the files. it says that the folder is corrupt

Yeah, the folder is corrupt, u have to change it, it won't unzip

same here.
    corrupted zip file

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast