Results 1 to 15 of 15

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: This could be the new homescreen!

  1. #1
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Thumbs up This could be the new homescreen!
    This was a complete and total accedent but I thought it could be really useful. I was on my iPhone and I opened mobilefinder. In MobileFinder I went insider the launcher.app and ran the exec file thing that each app has on the phone. After I did that, it set Launcher as my default home screen! It stayed that way until I powered off my phone or restarted it. I tried running the exec things in SMS and Safari and it set them as my homescreen! I fugured that this could lead to an entire new UI to the homescreen!!!
    Sent From My iPhone

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shimizu1006 For This Useful Post:

    asdfeeee (2007-08-24)

  3. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Valley
    Posts
    201
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Very interesting. I'm gonna try this out. Nice find.

  4. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    I guess its true when they say you learn from your mistakes or w.e that is. haha
    Sent From My iPhone

  5. #4
    A few days ago I posted these two threads.

    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2886
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2866

    Both having to do with replacing springboard with a new app. it would be awesome if someone could write a new springboard app. Because as much as the iphone rocks, springboard sucks.

  6. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iphone, Iphone.
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    any screen shots????
    I wanna see

  7. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    theres not really anthing to show on a screen shot. It just sorta sets a new default homescreen. All someone has to do is create an app that acts as an awsome homescreen and then just make an icon on the normal homescreen that launces the exec of that new app. I hope you get what i mean
    Sent From My iPhone

  8. #7
    I'm talking replacing the home screen. no more springboard. you press the home button and it will launch the new app, bypassing springboard all together

  9. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Thats what it already does except after the first time when you turn on your phone. Don't be afraid to try it. Just restart your phone when you want the normal springboard back.
    Sent From My iPhone

  10. #9
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimizu1006 View Post
    This was a complete and total accedent but I thought it could be really useful. I was on my iPhone and I opened mobilefinder. In MobileFinder I went insider the launcher.app and ran the exec file thing that each app has on the phone. After I did that, it set Launcher as my default home screen! It stayed that way until I powered off my phone or restarted it. I tried running the exec things in SMS and Safari and it set them as my homescreen! I fugured that this could lead to an entire new UI to the homescreen!!!
    At first I had posted the following;
    What do you mean you ran the exec file within each .app directory?
    Where did you excecute them from and with what were you in the iPhone?
    Did you use iPhineinterface, iPhoneBrowser...What did you use to get to the MobileSMS for instance to excecute that executable?
    *******************************************

    But, after I posted, I realized what you were talking about.

    You don't need Launcher or anything else to do that.

    Just go to any App on the HomeScreen or other screens that you have that you made using iSwap for instance and run that App using it's Icon and
    if push the SLEEP button on the top of the iPhone and then push the SLEEP button again, the screen will always come back to the LAST APP screen that you had the iPhone in before puttomg it to SLEEP.

    Now that we have that out of the way.

    You may be on to something that can be used.

    For instance the FIELDTEST app...I can see some very good possibilities of using that format to have multiple execution lines (icons) and also have the SWIPE (Scroll) feature...some problems that need to be resolved after that would be all of the various other POP-UP icons that come up in the normal HomeScreen (i.e. Battery charging, Lockdown, etc.)...

    But I think you have put some interesting possibilities into many users heads...

    Thanks
    Last edited by abalfour; 2007-08-24 at 04:52 AM.

  11. #10
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by abalfour View Post
    But, after I posted, I realized what you were talking about.

    You don't need Launcher or anything else to do that.

    Just go to any App on the HomeScreen or other screens that you have that you made using iSwap for instance and run that App using it's Icon and
    if push the SLEEP button on the top of the iPhone and then push the SLEEP button again, the screen will always come back to the LAST APP screen that you had the iPhone in before puttomg it to SLEEP.
    Thanks
    I understand your reasoning but if you press the home button itl still take you to the home screen. With my method it literally sets the app as your homescreen. Say you open sms, then press home itl take you back to the normal home menu. With my method it takes you to the hacked menu. hope this clears things up
    Sent From My iPhone

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimizu1006 View Post
    I understand your reasoning but if you press the home button itl still take you to the home screen. With my method it literally sets the app as your homescreen. Say you open sms, then press home itl take you back to the normal home menu. With my method it takes you to the hacked menu. hope this clears things up
    do you notice how slow it responds tho? its because springboard is still running behind everything. plus springboard is a core app of the iphone, its not going to be easily replaced or stop it from running altogether.

    but i have a alias i made so i can type killit in terminal to kill off springboard, which then relaunches itself (like when you exit out of installer.app after installing or updating something.
    then you are back to springboard again.. just for times like this where something isnt 'right' and i dont want to reboot my phone

  13. #12
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimizu1006 View Post
    I understand your reasoning but if you press the home button itl still take you to the home screen. With my method it literally sets the app as your homescreen. Say you open sms, then press home itl take you back to the normal home menu. With my method it takes you to the hacked menu. hope this clears things up
    Ok, I understand now...you assumed that everyone is using the Launcher.app..

    Let me ask you a question.

    Lets say you use this procedure and launch MobileSMS.app for instance and you have the iPhone set to lockdown in five minutes and you put the iPhone into the desktop charger and have it either hooked up to the USB or the AC Adapter, do the BATTERY icons show up?
    Last edited by abalfour; 2007-08-24 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake...stupid me...

  14. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Just tested and yes. the battery icons do show up. I wasnt sure if you were talking about the big green one or the one in the corner but they both show up. The only thing that really changes is if you set the homescreen to SMS then the bar at the top is black and not gray. Everything else funtions normally.
    Sent From My iPhone

  15. #14
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimizu1006 View Post
    Just tested and yes. the battery icons do show up. I wasnt sure if you were talking about the big green one or the one in the corner but they both show up. The only thing that really changes is if you set the homescreen to SMS then the bar at the top is black and not gray. Everything else funtions normally.
    Thanks for the feedback...I am looking at a few things and was curious...as you can tell, I haven't installed the Launcher and at this moment, do not have plans to do so.

    Thanks again.

  16. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    no problem. I thoght a smart dev could use that to make an awsome homescreen replacment! that would be sooo awsome!!!
    Sent From My iPhone

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •