Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cycorder

And imagine, people are paying $20 for that quality!!!

LOL... ive seen that the competition has already been hacked.
    I have to say that Im a supporter of Saurik and his apps. They all scream quality, he has a good report with the public and isnt shy on the updates. I would gladly pay or donate for this app as the video quality is much better than iVR and when sound is implemented(email/youtube export would be nice too) it will be quite a force to be reconed with. The price point I would go for is $6.99... and maybe a family or 2 code license for $9.99.. I say this cause I have multiple phones in my household... me my wife, my mom and my brother... that would make it easier to swollow... because to tell you the truth, for the pricetag iVR is going for, Id much rather get the hacked version for my family as opposed to paying $80 for 4 licenses. Keep up the great work!

I haven't tried it yet but I know Saurik's stuff is good...
    For the price point, I think $5 is the way to go. Personally I'd buy a $5 -app without thinking. If it's anything more than that, I would think a lot about it and look for alternatives, or maybe just forget about it. Unless of course if it's proven to be worth every dollar.

Thanks

Saurik, personally, i'd pay between $10 and $20, but, many people won't.

I would recommend a $4.99 version with sound and a $9.99 (maybe more) for one with sound, e-mail, no adds etc.

$4.99 is to good to turn down, and would be cheap enough for pirating of it to be minimal.

the more expensive version would be for the people who are real serious about the app.

just like to take this chance to say thanks for all your time and effort with 2.0 , you are single handidly flying the flag for the jailbreaking scene right now. maybe you deserved more recognition at 1.1.x looking at it now? ....

keep us updated!
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thumbs down Terrible idea!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    I would recommend a $4.99 version with sound and a $9.99 (maybe more) for one with sound, e-mail, no adds etc.
    This would be a huge mistake...ask Touchpad Pro's dev how things went when he released a "lite" version of Teleport on the App Store in addition to the fully-functioning one.

It SEVERELY affected his business: he had to pull the Lite version to avoid showing an avalanche of one-star reviews for his product (all because it basically wasn't the full-function version). Even the app's name had to be changed, presumably to distance it from the controversy.

Don't make the mistake of diluting your brand or muddying the waters by creating a version people will immediately label as crippled. It's only going to pi$$ people off and push them towards the type of behavior IVR has engendered in the community.
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.

i think that paying for this apps is much more worth it for those that fear no suport or no future firmware support since saurik is coding it :P

now for me, i would love the $5 price point, since thats 15 argentinian pesos for me (well, a little more, 1u$s = 3.1 / 3.05 arg pesos).

all the cheap apps end up mor or less "expensive here". (many would argue that its not the case cause we should be acustomed, but most of us lived most of our lives with 1 u$s = 1arg peso till a 5 or so years ago :P )

then think about making "Cyphoto" (or whatever :P), making it a cool camera app (snapture is nice, but, AGAIN, most will feel better paying to you , and snapture lacks the "accelometer shot option")
    Last edited by Cocchiararo; 2008-08-23 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks

I think Cycorder should continue to be ad-supported.
    First off once you start charging for something, everyone acts like they're entitled to something (and they would be, since they paid). All of a sudden firmware 2.1 comes out, and cycorder isn't ported over, bam, angry people everywhere. If it's kept as a free application, no one can really complain, plus it can get improved when and if the developer wants to; no pressure.

Now that I'm done with the nonsensical rant, I'd just like to say that I really like the application, and I'm hoping to see it improve over time.

Default Porting to Later Firmwares
    Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    I think Cycorder should continue to be ad-supported.
    First off once you start charging for something, everyone acts like they're entitled to something (and they would be, since they paid). All of a sudden firmware 2.1 comes out, and cycorder isn't ported over, bam, angry people everywhere. If it's kept as a free application, no one can really complain, plus it can get improved when and if the developer wants to; no pressure.

Now that I'm done with the nonsensical rant, I'd just like to say that I really like the application, and I'm hoping to see it improve over time.
    I realize this wasn't the brunt of your point, but I figure I might as well comment:

The APIs I'm using internally to write the video recorder seem to be APIs that Apple is /very/ unlikely to change as they are pretty much device drivers. In fact, from 1.x to 2.x, they didn't change at all. This is very different from iPhone Video Recorder's approach, which doesn't access the camera directly. I ported from 1.x (where I did have an unreleased Cycorder to 2.x in a weekend).

Also, when porting to 2.x, it was actually to sell on the App Store, so I made certain to /only/ use official Apple-approved GUI elements in the design. This may change a little going forward, but this means that pretty much the entire program is now built out of parts that are seriously unlikely to be damaged by future firmware upgrades ;P.

why didnt it go to the appstore ? that would make people 100% happy to pay (it would get cracked to tho... )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Doesn't matter if it is in the app store or not. The crackers have figured out the crack for everything. That being said, as good as this app is it likely won't get too much attention right now since the iphone video recorder3g was cracked yesterday from the app store according to xsellize.

Would pay but not 19.99. I can live without it but if it's reasonable (*cough* 4.99 *cough*)..i would consider. Well fre is good cause if I paid for it, I expect it to keep working at least along the 2.X period.

Ok, since I last posted there have been some decent comments on Cycorder. All of which I agree.

I have since come up with a list of various changes and some (2) bugs to fix

Upgrades:

1. Sound (obviously)
    2. Upload options (Email, YouTube etc...)
    3. Camera functions (Resolution, Zoom, Filters?)
    4. Edit details on vids (Renaming etc...)
    5. No ads (at least on 'Premium version'
    6. File sizes. Of course, this is part of the compression settings of Cycorder, but it might be an idea to give people the option for lesser quality and smaller file sizes... although I am content on the current setting.

Bugs (from what I have found so far, and there aren't many )

1. Portrait view prints onto computer as 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
    2. Status bar cripples playback bar in, you guessed it, playback. Especially 'Done' button.

That's it for bugs, so well done! Nice first release.

Oh and thanks dkaye.

- Apoth

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
    This would be a huge mistake...ask Touchpad Pro's dev how things went when he released a "lite" version of Teleport on the App Store in addition to the fully-functioning one.

It SEVERELY affected his business: he had to pull the Lite version to avoid showing an avalanche of one-star reviews for his product (all because it basically wasn't the full-function version). Even the app's name had to be changed, presumably to distance it from the controversy.

Don't make the mistake of diluting your brand or muddying the waters by creating a version people will immediately label as crippled. It's only going to pi$$ people off and push them towards the type of behavior IVR has engendered in the community.

dude, appstore and cydia = big difference.

appstore apps are given star ratings by idiots. i saw a BBC news app for 59p with 4.5 stars, all it had was 3 different RSS feeds (all of which are free) in a pretty interface. and people rated that 4.5 stars?

i use intelliscreen, i got the $2.99 license as opposed to the more expensive, think it's $19.99. mine does everything i need, however, many people will want more i.e. multiple e-mail, sports rss feeds, custom rss feeds etc. that is exactly what they pay for.

this video recorder could be done exactly the same with just as much success. i dont want to have to pay for extra add-ons like e-mail video, send to youtube,no ads etc. if i can get the basic video recorder with sound for half the price, but, some people may really want the extra features.

also, saurik is very quick with his updates, i mean look at cydia and winterboard. i can't see him leaving people hanging for the cycorder when a new firmware comes out.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

I would instantly pay $9.99, maybe even $12.99 on the app store.

For a non-appstore version, I'm not sure I'd pay any more than $4.99. Potentially $7.99, but I doubt much more than that. Maybe it's just because I'm new to jailbreaking, but I just can't justify paying too much for an *unsupported* app.

Even though, as you say, the likelihood of it breaking in the future is very low, there is still that sense of security when purchasing through the app store. I'm guessing this will probably change the longer I stay jailbroken and learn the ins and outs of it. After a while I'll be more comfortable and assured that jailbroken products work just fine and there's no worry in purchasing them.

i clicked "Thanks". thats just what i was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    /var/mobile/Media/Videos

Cracking is not something to dwell over. If major corporations can't stop it then these iPhone apps have no chance. And I agree with the prices set based on features I am good friends with the maker of intelliscreen and like you he has updates frequently to fix bugs and add features, and his response to his app has been stupendous. Giving consumers choices won't cripple your potential profit, but instead allow the consumer freedom to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Adplaya View Post
    Cracking is not something to dwell over.
    If your price point is too high, it certainly is something to dwell over. Just look at how pathetic the Iphone Video Recorder launch thread got over pricing and people straight saying they're gonna wait for the cracked version, while others were openly announcing the cracked version was already in distribution.

The best you can do is turn these potential leeches into customers by giving them a price point that even they can't pass up, and in turn hope to make your profit on volume rather than trying to cash in on every license sold. Just look at the stats for the $.99 cent apps that have gone on to sell in excess of 3 million copies for example. Sure the cracked versions are out there, but with 3 million sold (and counting) its fair to say these strategies bode well for the merchant.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to x999x For This Useful Post:

jwcrash (2008-09-07)

x99x, I must say, you definitely know your stuff. Your posts impress me.
    [[random, but thought it had to be said]]
    wwjd

Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    If your price point is too high, it certainly is something to dwell over. Just look at how pathetic the Iphone Video Recorder launch thread got over pricing and people straight saying they're gonna wait for the cracked version, while others were openly announcing the cracked version was already in distribution.

The best you can do is turn these potential leeches into customers by giving them a price point that even they can't pass up, and in turn hope to make your profit on volume rather than trying to cash in on every license sold. Just look at the stats for the $.99 cent apps that have gone on to sell in excess of 3 million copies for example. Sure the cracked versions are out there, but with 3 million sold (and counting) its fair to say these strategies bode well for the merchant.
    He's not an idiot. And you have a lot to learn about these "leechers". It doesnt matter if an app is .99 or 5.00 the leechers will leach. The people who want to pay will pay, and those who dont will undoubtingly find it for free. Being optimistic when money is involved just doesnt work.

Prime Example: iPhone Video Recorder was out a for 3 days and was cracked. His price? A mere 7.99. Now you think that Cycorder is going to attract leachers to change their ways?

I'm sorry if i seem hostile or anything, im just trying to be realistic.
    Last edited by Adplaya; 2008-08-24 at 08:41 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bootleg's Avatar
    Thanks

where is it? i just opened cydia and it's not there. do you need to be at 2.0? i'm staying on 1.1.4

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast