Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MobileCHM - CHM & LIT Reader

Default MobileCHM - CHM & LIT Reader
    I've been waiting for this since a few months: there's finally a working CHM (and probably LIT) reader! Great work by cjacker! Thanks!!!
    I've installed the app and it's working fine for me.

Project page for MobileCHM is apparently

http://www.linux-ren.org/modules/everestblog/?p=164

but unfortunately the server is down since a few days, so I put it to
    http://rapidshare.com/files/89476259/CHM.zip

Installation:

copy MobileCHM.app to the /Applications folder and place CHM files at var/root/Media/CHM

http://www.ezone.com.vn/?a=ND&hdn_news_id=961
    http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=de
    http://blog.sina.com.cn/cjacker

In some CHM files the content page isn't displayed - instead for example the cover picture (then "toc" is probably not included).
    If you encounter this problem, decompile the original chm, change the default topic to the content page, compile it again and place the file in "var/root/Media/CHM". All steps are easily and very fast done by "In CHM" (Freeware, http://www.vistanita.com/inchm/introduction.php).

Last edited by benne; 2008-02-06 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benne For This Useful Post:

Cody Overcash (2008-05-27), sabanir (2008-03-26), saytovikas (2008-05-27)

I'm running 1.1.3, and this wouldn't work for me until I SSH'd in with Terminal and entered:

chmod +s /Applications/MobileCHM.app/MobileCHM
    chmod +s /Applications/MobileCHM.app/clit
    chmod -R 755 /Applications/MobileCHM.app/MobileCHM
    chmod -R 755 /Applications/MobileCHM.app/clit

Now it's running fine, and pretty slick! Thanks.
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 2008-05-20 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Made path more generic, added the normal prefs stuff as suggested by -V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveiPhone For This Useful Post:

sabanir (2008-03-26)

No go for me. Have 1.1.3, done

chmod +s /Applications/MobileCHM.app/MobileCHM
    chmod +s /Applications/MobileCHM.app/clit

(My App are not in var, but it shouldn't change anything).

But it still crashes after 5 secs (settings button in MobileCHM is blue like it's pressed).

Clues?

After

# chmod -R 755 MobileCHM.app/MobileCHM
    # chmod -R 755 MobileCHM.app/clit

It started working

But now I cannot see .chm files I placed in /var/root/Media/CHM folder (tried also var/mobile/Media/CHM with no luck).
    Last edited by -V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-; 2008-02-20 at 11:26 PM.

It looks a great tools.
    I install it and chmod all the files.
    I can see the CHM files in the /var/root/Media/CHM folder
    but when I selected it, iphone went back to the springbroad. Nothing has run.

Any clues?

Thanks / Henry

how do i set permissions as a windows user... I am having the same problem of it freezing.. thanks in advance

Henry thats happening to me... any solution for it?

Did you do
    chmod +s /var/Applications/MobileCHM.app/MobileCHM
    chmod +s /var/Applications/MobileCHM.app/clit
    via SSH? MobileCHM is working fine for me on 1.1.4.

Did Anyone get this to work.. ??

I can launch the app no problem, but when i clic on a book it goes back to the springboard.

BTW there . LIT files.. if that changes anything ..

Any clues ??

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Infinity View Post
    Did Anyone get this to work.. ??

I can launch the app no problem, but when i clic on a book it goes back to the springboard.

BTW there . LIT files.. if that changes anything ..

Any clues ??
    Got exactly the same problem!

Yes, me too. Pity - I'd love to be able to read my Lit files on the iphone without doing a load of manual conversions...

I'll try to find a CHM file to test it...

Martin

Just noticed something odd.

Bene's launched application says "CHM/Lit Reader" in his title bar.

Before mine crashes back to the home screen it says "CHM Reader."

Have we got the correct version?

Martin

Addendum

After fannying about some more with permissions the programme stabilised.

However, it still says "CHM Reader" and not "CHM/Lit Reader as per benne's screenshot and the programme crashes to desktop whether it is a lit file or a chm file. Changing to using a webserver instead of the built-in webreader doesn't make any difference.

So close, yet so far...

Benne can you explain the reason for the difference in the title bar?

Martin
    Last edited by Lancaster; 2008-05-26 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

same problem here... i can't get it to open any lit files or any htm files. mine also only says CHM Reader

Hi There,

Like the most of you I have the same problem. I can't get to open an chm file.
    Has the problem been solved yet or does someone already have an alternative way to read CHM files.

my CHM files just "spin" and never open.

MobileCHM is working for me on 1.1.4. Maybe different CHM structures are the cause for malfunctions, maybe it's only important to choose Safari for viewing (after installing lighttpd) and not the app's builtin WebView function.

Permissions:

MobileCHM settings:

Screen from today:

If you still have problems viewing your CHMs, you can also decompile them by tools like CHM Decoder (CHM Decoder - Convert CHM to HTML - freeware) and place them in var/root/Sites for PDF/DOC/XLS/photo viewer or any other folder for access via FileBrowser, docs, ruBooks, etc.

@ Lancaster

I'm not sure whether MobileCHM already works for LIT books (my 0.11 version also only states CHM, while the blogs screenshots say CHM/LIT) Haven't tried it and can't reach the developer.
    Last edited by benne; 2008-06-03 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks for replying benne. Looks like the author isn't releasing a Lit compatible version...

I think the author of the excellent RuBooks is having a look at including the Lit format into his app, which would be great for all of us moving from Pocket PC to Iphone who have a stack of Lit files for MS Reader.

Regards

Martin

Thanks

Do we have to set permissions on the chm file?
    Never mind I got it to open, however it only shows the title page.
    Last edited by mumra06; 2008-06-15 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benne View Post
    MobileCHM is working for me on 1.1.4. Maybe different CHM structures are the cause for malfunctions, maybe it's only important to choose Safari for viewing (after installing lighttpd) and not the app's builtin WebView function.

Permissions:

MobileCHM settings:

Screen from today:

If you still have problems viewing your CHMs, you can also decompile them by tools like CHM Decoder (CHM Decoder - Convert CHM to HTML - freeware) and place them in var/root/Sites for PDF/DOC/XLS/photo viewer or any other folder for access via FileBrowser, docs, ruBooks, etc.

@ Lancaster

I'm not sure whether MobileCHM already works for LIT books (my 0.11 version also only states CHM, while the blogs screenshots say CHM/LIT) Haven't tried it and can't reach the developer.
    Hi benne,

I don't know if you are still watching this thread, but I 've noticed something interesting.

In your screenshot above (taken from your iPhone?) the settings screen is different to mine (and the one in the first post). Instead of Off\ On you seem to have 0 and 1 as options.

As a matter of interest when I look at "About MobileCHM" on my iPhone I see version 0.11 of "CHM\ Lit Reader."

So it looks like we are using different versions. I don't suppose you would consider emailing me the contents of your MobileCHM.app directory?

If so, please let me know and I'll send you a private mail with my email address.

Regards.

No problem - there's the content of my MoblileCHM directory:
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Quote Originally Posted by benne View Post
    No problem - there's the content of my MoblileCHM directory:
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    Hi benne,

Thanks for taking time to upload the directory.

Unfortunately, I am more confused than ever! In your screenshot above in the settings page, the indicators for the settings are either 0 or 1.

Yet when I install the files from your MobileCHM.app directory and run CHM on my iPhone I am seeing the options as ON or OFF.

Needless to say the app still bombs me out when I try to load a CHM or Lit file. Like you, I am running 1.1.4.

I think I must be going mad...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast