Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PocketGuitar - the Virtual Guitar

Default Pocket Guitar
    I'm learning to play bass, and thought this app might keep me playing while on subway in NYC. My question is, are the strings / notes the same, because they don't sound accurate.

Thanks

Von

Hi There,
    I am having the same problem it downloads but launch the screen just goes black any idea?
    Cheers
    Mark

Default same problem =\
    after downloading the app on installer, the icon on my homescreen appears and it looks like it downloaded correctly intill i try to open it. Then the scream just goes black

this was happening to me also, what I did was I used Finder and navigated to /var/root/ and then I pressed Misc and Term Here, logged in as root and typed chmod 755 Media, then I opened the app and everything worked

how do you log in as root??

excuse me if that's basic for you.

butta

well when you click on term here, it opens up term-vt100 and then you type alpine as the password and you're logged in as root

Quote Originally Posted by likebutta View Post
    how do you log in as root??

excuse me if that's basic for you.

butta
    Make sure you're also not using MobileTerminal 2.07 as it logs in as 'mobile' and not root.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dust Busta's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there a way to make different skins for this? I tried but couldn't figure it out?

a friend of mine plays guitar and when i showd him the app he got crazy....
    he did not like the iphone because of all the hype, but now he bought one and loves it

Quote Originally Posted by dazed87 View Post
    this was happening to me also, what I did was I used Finder and navigated to /var/root/ and then I pressed Misc and Term Here, logged in as root and typed chmod 755 Media, then I opened the app and everything worked
    Thank you!

I was having the same symptoms as most people on this page where it would try to open, screen would go black, and it would crash. I had tried setting the permissions to 777 on /Applications/PocketGuitar.app and on /var/root/Media/PocketGuitar and their contents, but I did not even think to check the /var/root/Media directory itself.

I was almost just about to Restore my phone and do the Jailbreak process all over again, but like you suggested, changing permissions to 755 on the /var/root/Media directory itself fixed the problem.

This still isn't working on my jailbroken 1.1.3 tried all of the above I have used Winscp to try and change the permissions to 0755 but still no look what am I doing wrong?

I've posted a fix to my Installer Repository, Fight Club, but you have to swear to jebus to never tell anyone about my Source.

Remember, the First Rule of Fight Club is: There is No Fight Club. Breaking this rule closes the Fight Club for everyone as I pay 3.99 for monthly hosting, and I don't intend on paying a penny more, lol!

To Add My Source
    Add the line below to your Installer Sources:
    http://dezign999.com/repo

Look for FIX: PocketGuitar under the Category: Fight Club.

Please keep my source a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by dazed87 View Post
    well when you click on term here, it opens up term-vt100 and then you type alpine as the password and you're logged in as root
    bro when i clicked term here it does nothing....

i have installed finder and terminal....

open terminal, log in as root

#cd /var/root
    #chmod 755 Media

close terminal

Thanks

Trying to get PocketGuitar up and running on 1.1.4 has been driving me crazy!

None of the 'permissions' tips suggest across the 'Net have work for me, who like so many others, launch PocketGuitar only to be booted back to the SpringBoard.

HERE'S WHAT FINALLY WORKED FOR ME...

Basically, move...
    /private/var/mobile/Media/AcousticElectricGuitar
    /private/var/mobile/Media/DistortedGuitar
    /private/var/mobile/Media/ElectricBass
    ... to ...
    /private/var/mobile/Media/PocketGuitar/AcousticElectricGuitar
    /private/var/mobile/Media/PocketGuitar/DistortedGuitar
    /private/var/mobile/Media/PocketGuitar/ElectricBass
    Of course, this assumes that you already have a symlink from /private/var/root/Media/ to /private/var/mobile/Media/

Background and more detail...

I noticed a few people mention a /private/var/mobile/Media/PocketGuitar folder which was not created when I installed PocketGuitar. I also noticed that its sample folders AcousticElectricGuitar, DistortedGuitar & ElectricBass were installed directly under /private/var/mobile/Media and not under any 'PocketGuitar' folder and when I uninstalled PocketGuitar, the sample folders were not removed.

So I created a 'PocketGuitar' folder under /private/var/mobile/Media and moved the sample folders there, then I reinstalled PocketGuitar and - PRESTO - it worked immediately!

This WORKED for me! I hope some of you find it useful too...

Default symlink
    Of course, this assumes that you already have a symlink from /private/var/root/Media/ to /private/var/mobile/Media/
    How do I make this symlink? I'm very pleased if you can explain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by microon View Post
    How do I make this symlink? I'm very pleased if you can explain.
    It might already be made depending on your 1.1.3/1.1.4 jailbreak method. Otherwise (back-up first just in case)...

In essence you're making a shortcut or alias (a symbolic link) in one location that points to another location. I create symlinks using WinSCP (I don't have a MAC). Of course, symlinks can be created with a terminal app too, but I'm not 100% on the syntax.

Both the following locations probably contain a 'Media' folder...
    /private/var/root/
    /private/var/mobile/

Move all content from /private/var/root/Media to /private/var/mobile/Media then go back to /private/var/root/ and delete the 'Media' folder as you'll be making a symlink from here with the same name.

Now, while still in /private/var/mobile/Media right-click in an empty space on the remote window and select 'New > Link'.

Enter 'Media' in the Link/shortcut file field and '/private/var/mobile/Media' in the Point Link/shortcut file to field.

The result is that when any app that references anything under /private/var/root/Media (e.g. some apps that haven't been updated for 1.1.3+) will now be automatically directed to the same place under /private/var/mobile/Media.
    Last edited by fastdump; 2008-03-15 at 04:36 AM.

symlink syntax for terminal:

ln -s /var/mobile/Media /var/root/Media

Thanks for the feedback, but this didn't work for me.
    Reasons can be: 1.wrong chmod of folders, 2.wrong use of symlink, 4.wrong name or path to folder ('PocketGuitar' folder confused me), 5.The Ziphone 2.5c makes it work for just some.

What i think is strange, is that even after "symlinkfix", the folders still remains after uinstall. Shouldn't the program work even if there's no sound files? I just feel the problem lies in the core "/Applications/PocketGuitar.app"
    The TTR (Guitar hero 3) also use the '/private/var/root/Media' folder.

Cool PocketGuitar working on 1.1.4
    Thanks to all that wrote before me.

I finally got mine to work. It was working before i did a reset. Then the same black screen, then home screen.

This is what worked 4 me was:

1. Uninstall PocketGuitar

2. Delete "AcousticElectricGuitar", "DistortedGuitar", "ElectricBass" inside "/var/root/Media/"
    - U can use Fugu (Mac) or Winscp (Windoze)

3. Add this to your installer source and refresh: http://podmap.net/apps

4. Turn off your iPhone then power it back on.

5. Go to installer, under "Toys", installer PocketGuitar 0.2.
    - this will install and extract the "AcousticElectricGuitar", "DistortedGuitar", "ElectricBass" placing then inside "/private/var/root/Media/PocketGuitar"

6. Exit installer.

7. Tap the PocketGuitar icon ... and There U go!!

8. There is a PocketGuitar 0.2k at "Modmyifone" repo, I updated mine to this. (didnt see a diff)

Side note: I didn't have to symlink, chmod, chown anything or move any file to any directory...
    Just remember the extracted file will be installed inside "var/root/Media/PocketGuitar" instead of "var/mobile/Media/PocketGuitar"

Should this work or U have any question, feel free to write back.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Gambit_Rah For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (2008-03-25)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast