Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: LocateMe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ma5t3rw1tt View Post
    In case anyone asks, this does not work on the iPod Touch. Meaning you can install the application but when you scan, it just says failed. I wonder if they will have something like this for the iPod Touch?
    It does not work with the Touch for the obvious reason that it uses cell towers to triangulate your position. Seeing that the Touch doesn't have phone capabilities, it would be rather useless. On the other hand, have you tried Navizon? It uses cell towers AND wifi nodes to triangulate your position. Might work with the Touch, but only if you are on public access wifi. It won't work with your home wifi.

As for me, I compared Navizon and LocateMe and I found that Navizon was more accurate than LocateMe. I tested this from inside my apartment in Toronto, Canada and will test this outside to see which is more accurate.
    Last edited by echo; 2008-01-21 at 03:08 AM.
    15.4" 2.8GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
    Pwnage Unlocked 16GB iPhone (2.1)
    Apple Unlocked 16GB 3G iPhone (2.2)

Quote Originally Posted by echo View Post
    It does not work with the Touch for the obvious reason that it uses cell towers to triangulate your position. Seeing that the Touch doesn't have phone capabilities, it would be rather useless. On the other hand, have you tried Navizon? It uses cell towers AND wifi nodes to triangulate your position. Might work with the Touch, but only if you are on public access wifi. It won't work with your home wifi.

As for me, I compared Navizon and LocateMe and I found that Navizon was more accurate than LocateMe. I tested this from inside my apartment in Toronto, Canada and will test this outside to see which is more accurate.
    ----------
    I will have to check out that app that you suggested. I tried it but said something about registering or what not but I'll check it back out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ma5t3rw1tt View Post
    ----------
    I will have to check out that app that you suggested. I tried it but said something about registering or what not but I'll check it back out. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Yeah, you use to need to register after a 15 day trial but now you can keep using it for free, albeit a "lite version".

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

The same as Navizon.app use this one is better and I alreagy try it, works perfect and free
    Last edited by javiert30; 2008-01-21 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    The same as Navizon.app use this one is better and I alreagy try it, works perfect and free
    I realise that but I'm suggesting to ma5t3rw1tt that he try Navizon as he has an iPod Touch and Locate Me will not work with the Touch. Navizon is also free.

cheers,
    e

Has my location off by 5 miles... closest it's gotten is 2 miles off...

United States

wouldn't be great to have crack wifi over Edge so we don't need wifi hot spot?

1.5 miles off

Whoa, Navizon is very accurate. I launched the app, said it was finding my current location and it was a just a little off, not by much. It showed me by a major highway, which of course I live by so its not that bad. I'm going to start walking down the street and see if I can get that feel of maybe having a GPS in my iPod Touch, or at least think I do.

Thanks

Yeah, I found that when locating using wifi modes on Navizon it was very accurate. In fact it was more accurate than using cell towers. That's one advantage Navizon has over Locate Me. Also with Navizon you have a "directions" button which I found useful as if you click on Directions within Google Maps, it won't keep the location of your search.

Working fine here in Pakistan....missed me by a few 100 meters though but still good....

i wasn't so lucky with navizon.

navizon missed me about 15km!!!

locate me was very good ;about 400metres.

Quote Originally Posted by echo View Post
    Yeah, I found that when locating using wifi modes on Navizon it was very accurate. In fact it was more accurate than using cell towers. That's one advantage Navizon has over Locate Me. Also with Navizon you have a "directions" button which I found useful as if you click on Directions within Google Maps, it won't keep the location of your search.
    Wifi is going to be more accurate just by the very nature of its short range when compared to Cell Towers.

-David

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yeaahh, great app!!

200meters off my location here in Austria

thanks

Cool, found me within 200metres in India.

Cheers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rkisling's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been using both Navizon and Locate me...and in san Francisco, Navizon is much more accurate; frequently within a few hundred feet (it amazes me sometimes); but outside of the city, Locate Me is either more accurate or more often, Navizon is unable to locate know cell towers and Locate me gives me a location that is reasonable accurate.

I don't understand the purpose of the cache in 0.4, however ...

Bahrain ----> 200 meters here !!

Both Navizon(Lite) & LocateMe use cell tower triangulation. for me the results for both are almost same. they give the location of the nearest cell tower your phone is getting maximum signal from.
    Navizon(Paid Version) & Map.app in 1.1.3 use both cell towers and wifi to locate so in a way they are same.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Numberzz's Avatar
    Thanks

For me, it's .7 miles off. It's close, but not as close as maps in 1.1.3.
    "Now everyone calm the hell down and let me think about how to clean up your mess, while you build me a monument dedicated to how awesome I am."

MacBook Pro + iPhone 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by My_Name_Is_Neo View Post
    Both Navizon(Lite) & LocateMe use cell tower triangulation. for me the results for both are almost same. they give the location of the nearest cell tower your phone is getting maximum signal from.
    Navizon(Paid Version) & Map.app in 1.1.3 use both cell towers and wifi to locate so in a way they are same.
    Thank god someone in this forum has some understanding of cell tower triangulation. Triangles have three corners, which mean you have to b within an area where there 3 "AT&T" towers to pinpoint ur location. Most of the time ur not, unless ur in a large rural area. If you are only connected to
    two towers then it won't b as close and if ur only connected to one tower, it will only put u in the radius of the one tower you're connected to.

Don't want to b curt, but that's y they call it triangulation.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast