Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Funiculus Guitar Tuner (v 0.02) now on Installer

Default No Luck Yet
    Quote Originally Posted by JLA View Post
    Check your space on your OS partition...I say this to everyone, but running low on space there can have some weird effects. Type "df -h" at the terminal prompt...

Get the sysinfo app and look at what processes are running in the background. Make sure no one is eavesdropping on you with your microphone...(assuming your battery life is longer than 2 hours, probably not). Do you have an alarm running? Then there's dock, SSH, that screenshot one, MobileRSS...I don't know if any of these affect anything, but it's worth testing it out. (I do know that the screenshot one, if click sounds are on, will cause Funiculus to lose the mic). Do you use bluetooth?

PS And you may want to try my all-time favorite last-ditch effort for any problem whatsoever: reinstall BSD subsystem...
    Well I've tried a lot of things to see if I can get it working. I could find no solution for this problem with VNotes, although there seems to be a lot of people having the same problem.
    I have 36MB left on my OS partition, I think that's enough?
    I used to have Dock and that Volume Amplify apps installed, but they're gone a while, so I don't think they're doing anything. I have the screenshot one, but that's never on and I tried uninstalling it and nothing happened in Funiculus.

If I reinstall BSD subsystems will that completely screw up my phone while it's not installed? I might try that...

Sysinfo didn't give me any hints either, unless you can get anything from these Processes it detects: Sysinfo, sleep, sh, sshd, MobilePhone, notifyd (that's the thing that beeps every 15 seconds after you get a text I think, but I had the problem before I got it), mediaserverd, ptpd, update, syslogd, lockdownd, mDNSResponder, iapd, cron, crashreporterd, configd, Spring Board, CommCenter, BTServer, sh, launchd, kernal_task.

Oh and for some reason when I'm in Funiculus my home button doesn't do anything, I have to push Exit to get out.

Just one other thing I noticed earlier: I was just checking the files I recorded with VNotes on my computer, the ones which I can't hear anything from... well I tured up the volume REALLY high and I'm pretty sure I could hear myself talking. So maybe my mic is just on really low volume...

PS: I'll be happy to help out with your testing, at least the recording of my guitar once I get a chance to do it.
    Last edited by RayCarley; 2008-01-08 at 10:29 PM.

I have 36MB left on my OS partition, I think that's enough?
    Plenty.

If I reinstall BSD subsystems will that completely screw up my phone while it's not installed? I might try that...
    It doesn't uninstall--it goes straight to reinstall.

Sysinfo didn't give me any hints either, unless you can get anything from these Processes it detects: Sysinfo, sleep, sh, sshd, MobilePhone, notifyd (that's the thing that beeps every 15 seconds after you get a text I think, but I had the problem before I got it), mediaserverd, ptpd, update, syslogd, lockdownd, mDNSResponder, iapd, cron, crashreporterd, configd, Spring Board, CommCenter, BTServer, sh, launchd, kernal_task.
    I'm not too familiar with all this, but I don't think I've seen "sleep" before on my phone. (I assume MobileMail is also running...)

Oh and for some reason when I'm in Funiculus my home button doesn't do anything, I have to push Exit to get out.
    If the home button doesn't seem to respond, that's somewhat expected. It should respond after a few moments (or a few presses).

Just one other thing I noticed earlier: I was just checking the files I recorded with VNotes on my computer, the ones which I can't hear anything from... well I tured up the volume REALLY high and I'm pretty sure I could hear myself talking. So maybe my mic is just on really low volume...
    Maybe try fiddling with the software volume slide in the iPod program...

I'll try to think of something...

Try this:
    run that vt-terminal program, and type:
    top -l1

Look at all the numbers next to mediaserverd and let me know what they say...it could be that something else is attempting to use the input, and that is blocking VNotes/Funiculus...

JLA

Default Another vote for a generic instrument tuner
    JLA:

First, thanks for the guitar tuner! The one thing I have missed the most moving from my Treo to the iPhone has been an instrument tuner, and Funiculus is great first step in that direction.

In your previous email, you made a call for developers and or mathematicians. I've dabbled in both, but would not consider myself proficient, but this did remind me of an old programming project.

Back in high school, I was working with an old IBM PS2 and Pascal. I wanted to create a virtual piano keyboard, but the computer did not have MIDI and I could only generate a sound given a specific frequency. Somehow, I stumbled upon the following formula:

f = 2<sup>n/12</sup> × 440 Hz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note#No...cy_.28hertz.29)

Would have been nice to have had the Wikipedia--or the Internet--back then :-). Anyway, you may be already aware of this, but I figured I would mention it anyway as a way to detect the actual frequency of given notes in the hopes that it would help things progress with the project. Using the formula, you could "guess" what note was trying to be played and based on how far off it was, could determine just how far out of tune it was.

Thanks again!

Jägs

==================================
    Hey guys,
    A lot of you have requested automatic note detection...it can probably be done, but I am going to need help. Other developers would be great, also mathematicians, but if you are neither of these, then I would ask you to do this:
    Record yourself with your computer playing each of the strings on your guitar (starting at low E)...play them twice each, with about 3+ seconds between each note. You can use Audacity (free sound editor) to record...try to make sure you play loud enough. And send to the following email: software mauvila.com (be sure to add the 'at' symbol).

If you are pretty good at audio, try to record/save in the following format: SIGNED 16 bit, 8000 samples/sec (sample rate), mono. This is the iphone input format. I don't know if audacity can do this...you might have to use Goldwave or some other program. If you can't figure this stuff out, I can convert it myself.

Thanks,
    JLA
    Last edited by Jägs; 2008-01-09 at 06:32 PM. Reason: superscript the formula

The problem isn't detecting what note given a frequency, but rather detecting what frequency given a sound. In fact, there are multiple frequencies for every real (non-computer generated) tone. The problem is detecting the fundamental frequency...the one humans interpret as the pitch of the note. And an 8000 samples/sec sample rate doesn't help...

Now one approach I may try (if people email me samples) is to use the harmonic frequencies to help fine tune the note, but to compare the harmonic frequencies to see what the actual fundamental is...I am hoping it's simply the greatest common factor of the loudest frequencies, but I need to receive some samples to figure this out before I implement it. And of course, the calculations can't take very long...if they take longer than their allotted time slot, the iPhone reboots...silver apple of death.
    JLA

I'm not too familiar with all this, but I don't think I've seen "sleep" before on my phone. (I assume MobileMail is also running...)
    Well I dunno about sleep, but MobileMail wasn't running at all. That's probably because I don't go onto it too much, so I did open it and then check again and it was running then. It made no difference to Funiculus/VNotes (Oh and the new Listen app won't work either... big surprise there)
    If the home button doesn't seem to respond, that's somewhat expected. It should respond after a few moments (or a few presses).
    The home button doesn't work at all actually, it doesn't matter how long I wait.
    However I did find some more info about why it isn't working, it probably isn't much. I started up Funiculus in the Terminal on my computer and I got the same error I said a few posts back, but then quickly I pushed "exit" in Funiculsu on the phone and all this came up in the terminal:

/var/root/Applications/Funiculus.app$ ./funiculus
    -[AVRecorder activate:]: AudioQueueStart failed (1852797029)
    Initializing AudioQueue...
    Allocating buffers...
    Attempting to start audio queue...
    AudioQueue start was successful on first attempt
    Ignore the following AVRecorder error:
    About to start loop
    Application will terminate...
    destroyAudio()

Maybe try fiddling with the software volume slide in the iPod program...
    No difference
    Try this:
    run that vt-terminal program, and type:
    top -l1

Look at all the numbers next to mediaserverd and let me know what they say...it could be that something else is attempting to use the input, and that is blocking VNotes/Funiculus...

JLA
    I put that into the terminal and this is what is said beside it:
    PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE
    26 mediaserve 0.0% 0:30.775 14 158 175 1.33M 1.96M 117T 7.19P

The line above it being the titles.

Just one other thing: do you think that if I did a restore, would it make any difference because doesn't that just reinstall 1.1.2 and then restores all your music/cal/contacts etc. back onto it, but all the 3rd party applications aren't effected?

Well I dunno about sleep, but MobileMail wasn't running at all.
    Was there actually a process named "Sleep", or were you talking about the category title in SysInfo?

/var/root/Applications/Funiculus.app$ ./funiculus
    -[AVRecorder activate:]: AudioQueueStart failed (1852797029)
    Initializing AudioQueue...
    Allocating buffers...
    Attempting to start audio queue...
    AudioQueue start was successful on first attempt
    Ignore the following AVRecorder error:
    About to start loop
    Application will terminate...
    destroyAudio()
    This is normal...that error should be after the "Ignore the following error", but that's probably me putting the text in the wrong place...

Your mediaserverd looks normal...no extra threads...

Just one other thing: do you think that if I did a restore, would it make any difference because doesn't that just reinstall 1.1.2 and then restores all your music/cal/contacts etc. back onto it, but all the 3rd party applications aren't effected?
    Restore is probably your best bet. I'm not totally sure, but I think "Updates" preserve a lot of stuff while "Restore" wipes everything out... I think the syncing process might restore some of the configuration files...not sure though.
    Restore is a big deal in terms of time. I accidentally deleted an important system file on my phone last night, and I spent the next 1 or 2 hours doing the following steps: 1)restoring, 2)downgrading to 1.1.1, 3)jailbreaking via the website 4)installing octoprep 5)updating to 1.1.2 6) running the jailbreak software.
    But nevertheless, it's probably your best bet...I would do it before the new firmware comes out, just in case iTunes forces all upgrades to use the newest version firmware. When you get to the jailbroken 1.1.1, I would go ahead and test stuff out there.
    (I don't know anything about unlocking or its ramifications, so if you are using an unlocked iphone, this may not be good advice).
    Good luck
    JLA

Was there actually a process named "Sleep", or were you talking about the category title in SysInfo?
    No it's an actual process just like all the rest of them under the "Active" heading. There is a "Sleeping" heading, but there isn't anything under it.

Restore is probably your best bet.
    I think I might just do this, but I'm just wondering do I have to downgrade to 1.1.1 first because I had previously installed Oktoprep and all that when I originally updated to 1.1.2. Would I just be able to restore it to 1.1.2 straight?

Oh and yes my phone is unlocked, but I don't think that should affect anything... well nothing in restoring it anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by RayCarley View Post
    No it's an actual process just like all the rest of them under the "Active" heading. There is a "Sleeping" heading, but there isn't anything under it.

I think I might just do this, but I'm just wondering do I have to downgrade to 1.1.1 first because I had previously installed Oktoprep and all that when I originally updated to 1.1.2. Would I just be able to restore it to 1.1.2 straight?

Oh and yes my phone is unlocked, but I don't think that should affect anything... well nothing in restoring it anyway...
    I'd doublecheck with someone who has restored an unlocked phone, just to make sure. But before you do that, I'd figure out what the sleep process is...and what would happen if you kill it. Maybe it has to do with the unlock. Maybe it is your culprit...just be careful fiddling with unknown stuff...Id ask someone first.

Btw...don't use the home button to exit...it might leave a lingering thread in mediaserverd, which may cause the battery to drain in 12 hrs. This can be cured by exiting with the exit button, or running a sound app like Garf or NES some time after you exit. I'll try to figure out what's causing this by the next version. But in the meantime, use the exit button...
    Last edited by JLA; 2008-01-11 at 03:54 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JLA For This Useful Post:

RayCarley (2008-01-12)

Default Finally Problem Solved
    Woooo I finally found out how to fix my mic and it was sooo simple. All I had to do was go to Settings, General, Reset, Reset All Settings (I had to do this twice). Now Funiculus, Vnotes and Listen (apart from some connection error, which must be unrelated).

Who would have thought that a French website would have the solution: here. Even though the translation was a bit random.

Anyway thanks a million JLA, for all your help. I will continue to support your app... now that I actually got it working!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RayCarley For This Useful Post:

J-Sauce (2008-01-12)

Thank you so much! I just realized today that my mic wasnt working. All this time I just thought Fun and listen were just crappy programs.

Then I tried to reset my vmail and I realized.

Whew, such a releif.

Yeah, if you don't see the green bar move when you make noise, your mic isn't really working.
    But I wonder how it got like that...

Facing the same problem here. Resetting twice doesn't work either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12