Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Categories

thanks very much

this is probably the most usefull App for people that have lots of apps on their iPhone

could you look at making a button that returns to the main SB screen ?

I've had a couple requests for this, but I don't really understand. Isn't that what "home" does?
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    I've had a couple requests for this, but I don't really understand. Isn't that what "home" does?
    Yes, but if you have an "exit" button, couldn't it be coded to re-start Springboard? That might help with the issue of Categories not re-starting Springboard sometimes...

To BigBoss:-

Can you please replace the 'About' button with a 'Back' which takes back to the SpringBoard. The About button could be reArranged towards the right side. Just MHO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinodis View Post
    Can you please replace the 'About' button with a 'Back' which takes back to the SpringBoard. The About button could be reArranged towards the right side. Just MHO.
    Uh, that makes no sense. Isn't that exactly what the Home button on the iPhone does? Why would you want or need a button that duplicates the exact functionality already there?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HotStuff2 For This Useful Post:

ral67 (2008-01-06)

Hi Bigboss, just installed the latest v1.40 (and the new bossprefs too )

Wow! loading is so much faster! running on fw 1.1.2.

When I'm setting the iPhone language to per example French or German (in iPhone's Preferences->General->International->Language) the name on the items in Categories are still in english....
    ... and I want them in the language I'm using on the iPhone.
    Possible?
    Last edited by geircito; 2008-01-04 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geircito View Post
    When I'm setting the iPhone language to per example French or German (in iPhone's Preferences->General->International->Language) the name on the items in Categories are still in english....
    ... and I want them in the language I'm using on the iPhone.
    Possible?
    There are other languages besides English? (LOL just kidding, I'm German myself.)

That's a good question, though...

I really like this app, much easier than having several screens with apps. But i have the following suggestions/problems. Maybe some of them could be fixed/appear in future versions.

1. App names are being cut off. NetServices become NetServi.... But when app is on SB the name is not cut off.

2.I'm using SB themes and icons. But my wallpaper is aligned with the icons. Because of the Screen button and category name, the icons in a category get misaligned. Is the Screen button necessary, and do we really need to show the name of the category? Since the categories is not nested you probably know where you are.

3.A button to get back to SB. I know of the homebutton having this behaviour. But to me the homebutton is more a exit/quit app button. When browsing through your categories it feels a little awkward to press the homebutton. To me it would feel more intuitive to have a button in the lower left corner or something. Using the categories should not feel like your in a app, but part of the SB.

4.Would it be possible to have a setting to autosave the Default.png when opening a category that have been changed? Instead of having to remember to press the Screen button on the categories you have changed.

5. Maybe restart SB when exiting the Categories app if a change has been made, instead of having to press the restart SB button?

6. I have 1.1.2 FW and 3 categories with some apps inside. It takes around 10-15 seconds to open the Categories app. Seems a little long?

7. Why do the apps get different names from when they are on SB? Like Clock is called MobileTime, and Mail is called MobileMail. In Customize the apps have the correct names. I guess this is only for the apps that came with the iPhone.

8. Probably not going to happen, but would be really nice if this project merged with the Customize project.

I know that maybe not all my suggestions is for everyone, but maybe some things is a good idea and will be in future versions. I see great possibilities for this app. Wish i was a developer and could come up with something like this =)

Quote Originally Posted by bxbrova718 View Post
    some one text me and i dint know it cuz there was no notification or the little bubble showing up stating u have a text message, can tis type of stuff be fixed while using the categorize application?

YES! use the taskbar notifier program! found here:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...skbar+notifier

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raptorjr View Post
    1. App names are being cut off. NetServices become NetServi.... But when app is on SB the name is not cut off.
    I already reported this two or three pages back.

3.A button to get back to SB. I know of the homebutton having this behaviour. But to me the homebutton is more a exit/quit app button. When browsing through your categories it feels a little awkward to press the homebutton. To me it would feel more intuitive to have a button in the lower left corner or something. Using the categories should not feel like your in a app, but part of the SB.
    I disagree. The Home button already does this; in fact, that's it's purpose. It makes no sense to have a button which duplicates the EXACT behavior of the Home button.

5. Maybe restart SB when exiting the Categories app if a change has been made, instead of having to press the restart SB button?
    As has been noted both here and the release notes/changelog, Categories doesn't always re-start Springboard when it's supposed to. Which is why BigBoss added the button to re-start Springboard (which I suggested )

6. I have 1.1.2 FW and 3 categories with some apps inside. It takes around 10-15 seconds to open the Categories app. Seems a little long?
    Do you have Categories inside a folder created by it? That's been noted as a current bug.

7. Why do the apps get different names from when they are on SB? Like Clock is called MobileTime, and Mail is called MobileMail. In Customize the apps have the correct names. I guess this is only for the apps that came with the iPhone.
    Apple calls them custom names, but the actual app name is what Categories displays. Greg Meach's "Launchers" apps do the same thing. I believe it's because they're not reading the "display name", instead using the actual .app name.

8. Probably not going to happen, but would be really nice if this project merged with the Customize project.
    "Probably"? Try DEFINITELY. It's two different authors. And not everyone with Customize would want Categories, and vice-versa. There's a button to launch Customize. That's about as close as you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by HotStuff2 View Post
    I already reported this two or three pages back.
    Sorry about that, there are so many threads about this app i guess i missed that.

I disagree. The Home button already does this; in fact, that's it's purpose. It makes no sense to have a button which duplicates the EXACT behavior of the Home button.
    For me it is about thee feeling when navigating the categories. In SB when you have a lot of apps you get multiple pages and swipe your finger left and right to get access to them. It would destroy the feeling pretty much if you had to press the home button to get to the first page.
    I think that Categories should feel like a part of SB, not like another app. Maybe a button is a bad idea, but maybe swiping your finger left or right could get you back to the same SB page where you opened the category.

Not that i'm complaining, but if i could do a app like Categories that is how i would do it to get a better feeling/flow of using the SB, and you shouldnt even think that Categories is a app. It's just a natural behavior of SB.
    For me, the homebutton press destroys that feeling.

As has been noted both here and the release notes/changelog, Categories doesn't always re-start Springboard when it's supposed to. Which is why BigBoss added the button to re-start Springboard (which I suggested )
    So the restart sb is a cure for a bug? Well maybe it will be sorted out in future versions.

Do you have Categories inside a folder created by it? That's been noted as a current bug.
    Thank you, found that in one of the other threads after i wrote my post =)

Apple calls them custom names, but the actual app name is what Categories displays. Greg Meach's "Launchers" apps do the same thing. I believe it's because they're not reading the "display name", instead using the actual .app name.
    I hope in a future version that Categories will be able to use the display name. As i said before, it adds to the feeling that Categories is just not another app, it's a part of SB.

"Probably"? Try DEFINITELY. It's two different authors. And not everyone with Customize would want Categories, and vice-versa. There's a button to launch Customize. That's about as close as you're gonna get.
    Well, if Categories can hide the apps that are added and i dont have to hide them i Customize afterwards i guess it dont matter. And it seems that it works for me now in the 1.41 version.

i just came across this app and LOVE it! i now have all my 3rd party apps categorized into either games or utilities. very handy and really cleaned up my iphone!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Green Apple
    Thanks

This app isnt listed in my installer for some reason ....

Uh, that makes no sense. Isn't that exactly what the Home button on the iPhone does? Why would you want or need a button that duplicates the exact functionality already there?
    yes - exactly what Home does

I just thing it would feel more inituitive and in line with other Apps to use a button on the top left to do this

I know Home is to exit an App but when using Categories I dont think like I'm extiting a category - just going back to the man page

Actually - if possible - it would also be very intuitive if there was a Add/Delete button on the top right of every category to change the contents. This way you would have to use the Categoriess.App only for creating new ones or setting and could jump to adding/deleting Apps directly from the category

Actually - if possible - it would also be very intuitive if there was a Add/Delete button on the top right of every category to change the contents. This way you would have to use the Categoriess.App only for creating new ones or setting and could jump to adding/deleting Apps directly from the category
    In the original version, I had this but when people were complaining about it hosing their springboard display file, I pulled it. I think the springboard display stuff is stable again so I can probably look at adding it back in.

Unfortunately, it makes things a bit complex. Consider this usage: User loads the games category and adds some games. A springboard reset is now required so that will occur when the app closes. The user now decides to launch a game. The app closes so springboard is reset. His game is never launched. I guess those are going to have to just be known issues though.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    In the original version, I had this but when people were complaining about it hosing their springboard display file, I pulled it. I think the springboard display stuff is stable again so I can probably look at adding it back in.

Unfortunately, it makes things a bit complex. Consider this usage: User loads the games category and adds some games. A springboard reset is now required so that will occur when the app closes. The user now decides to launch a game. The app closes so springboard is reset. His game is never launched. I guess those are going to have to just be known issues though.
    Hmmh, understood

How about after adding/deleting an App after you press done it tells you that springboard needs to be reset via a popup and offers to do so ?
    Advanced users that do changes in batch could ignore it and manually restart SB and the novice user would be save.

Another enhancement idea: sometimes I get the enable Hide wrong so the app is still visible in SB. How about adding the springboard category so that you can hide/unhide there? I know this can be done by launching Customize but it would be easier to do right in Categories when you then can directly go back to another category.

How about an option to always display the dock ?

Sure it will decrease the real estate for icons in the categories, but it would make it feel more like SB

Plus sometime you go to a Category, then change your mind and want to make a phone call or start the iPod. Currently you have to go back to SB using the home button.
    Last edited by ral67; 2008-01-06 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ral67 View Post
    How about an option to always display the dock ?

Sure it will decrease the real estate for icons in the categories, but it would make it feel more like SB

Plus sometime you go to a Category, then change your mind and want to make a phone call or start the iPod. Currently you have to go back to SB using the home button.
    Actually, I like this idea. If you turn off the default background (so it uses the Summerboard image), it almost feels like you're still in Summerboard; having the dock there would be great.

I'd also like an option to turn OFF the title bar in each category (including the button), so that it appears seamless.

BigBoss: Noticed that in Options, you can enable Left-Right Scrolling, and then still enable Rubberbanding (which only works in up/down scrolling.) Shouldn't turning on Left-Right Scrolling disable/gray out the Rubberbanding option? (Probably vice-versa as well...)

Also, when I enable Left-Right Scrolling, all the icons are then aligned to the left, instead of top-to-bottom. Can that be changed? I prefer left-Right Scrolling (ala Summerboard), but don't want the icons to be aligned (alphabetically, no less) in columns.
    Last edited by HotStuff2; 2008-01-06 at 01:46 PM.

Also, when I enable Left-Right Scrolling, all the icons are then aligned to the left, instead of top-to-bottom. Can that be changed? I prefer left-Right Scrolling (ala Summerboard), but don't want the icons to be aligned (alphabetically, no less) in columns.
    I would also prefer that.

BigBoss, thanks for update v1.51, great stuff

just got the Category-update-of-the-day :-)

congrats - with 1.51 the Edit button in the category works exactly like I wanted it to

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast