View Poll Results: I installed Caissa and ....

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • it works fine, firmware 1.0.2

1 1.18%
  • It works somewhat but unstable, firmware 1.0.2

0 0%
  • It doesn't work, , firmware 1.0.2

16 18.82%
  • it works fine, firmware 1.1.1

14 16.47%
  • It works somewhat but unstable, firmware 1.1.1

4 4.71%
  • It doesn't work, firmware 1.1.1

8 9.41%
  • it works fine, firmware 1.1.2

26 30.59%
  • It works somewhat but unstable, firmware 1.1.2

11 12.94%
  • It doesn't work, firmware 1.1.2

2 2.35%
  • it works fine on ipod

1 1.18%
  • It works somewhat but unstable on ipod

0 0%
  • It doesn't work on my ipod

2 2.35%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Caissa

Thanks

ioffe sent me your pieces...wow. They aren't the ones on the wiki, at least not that I saw glancing at it. Very nice. I still think the board I've been working on will look the best, though. It's a very nice wooden-style with excellent grain and looks great at 320x320. Should be ready shortly.

Where do the pieces go again? I need to upload yours to really check them out.

Hi, I installed Caissa and I Love It! Although I have one small problem; it installs some .LRN files named Suicide, bug, etc in the root file directory, are these normal commands in the game?
    Last edited by Uxionv2; 2008-01-12 at 05:23 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Uxionv2 For This Useful Post:

ioffe (2008-01-12)

Quote Originally Posted by Uxionv2 View Post
    Hi, I installed Caissa and I Love It! Although I have one small problem; it installs some .LRN files named Suicide, bug, etc in the root file directory, are these normal commands in the game?

Suicide is a form of chess where the goal is to lose all your pieces. If you can capture, you must. The king can be captured just like a normal piece and you can promote a pawn to a king. In case of a stalemate the player with the least pieces wins. You cannot castle.

It is not supported in UI yet.
    *.lrn files in root only because you executed the app via shell. Those files are being created by the engine which learns your gaming style.
    Well, you really shouldn't do what you do, but hey if wondering by all means You can safely delete lrn files.

In 0.86 I will attempt another crack on 1.0.2 support, these files won't be seen.

IMPORTANT
    If you have 1.0.2, can ssh/sftp to your iphone and willing to help, please mail me at
    ioffe AT caissa DOT us. I need somebody to confirm if my fixes for 1.0.2 will remediate Caissa support for 1.0.2
    Last edited by ioffe; 2008-01-12 at 08:54 AM.
    - member of Caissa dev. team
    www.caissa.us

will webe able to play these chess variants eventually? that would be so cool..

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Is anyone here actually playing Caissa?

How do you add new chessboards in the latest version?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post
    Is anyone here actually playing Caissa?
    Me. I just played the newest 0.85alpha (internal release, not publicly available) with the newest "hint" feature this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Swag View Post
    ioffe has put a couple up on installer, but if you have your own custom one you want to use, you need to SSH into the iPhone and manually copy it to the folder where all the graphics are (which I don't know right off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will chime in and state the path.)

I'm using my "Woodgrain" board, which is pretty large size-wise (nearly double in size from the other boards out there, something like ~130k), but it's high quality and looks perfect IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Swag View Post
    You need to wait to about 11pm EST tonight. I will release 0.85 and Armadillo's extension pack.
    www.caissa.us

Quote Originally Posted by ioffe View Post
    You need to wait to about 11pm EST tonight. I will release 0.85 and Armadillo's extension pack.
    wow thanks ioffe, .85 really works grreat!

Quote Originally Posted by ioffe View Post
    This one will be the official Caissa thread. Hate it or love it, please leave your feedback. Any feature requests, bug reports, and etc... post it here. I will try to do my best in order to assist you. But I may not be able to, since we are all working in the unauthorized environment.
    My main problem is I really don't like that creepy woman at the startup

Quote Originally Posted by d_sanche View Post
    You can change it to whatever you want to. Just put your Default.png into Caissa.app folder. It has to be 320X480 png.

whot
    Thanks. Any feature requests ?
    www.caissa.us

ioffe: I have two feature requests:

1. Board/pieces preview in the listings
    2. Add a button at the top that will toggle overlay of the board coordinates (A-H and 1-8) on the board
    Come visit AlohaSoft

You maestro, I can not ignore
    a) Board Preview is fairly easy. Every pref cell in BoardPreferenceTable may feature scaled down segment of a board image. We need to check if CG performance is sufficient enough to do that. I have 19 boards installed and don't know if it can parse/clip/scale/paint back 19 with decent performance.
    Ticket #79
    Sorry, at this point this task at lower priority.

With pieces, I totally don't know what to do. I can show 1 piece at most. it doesn't make sense to scale them down to 5x5. You would not be able to differentiate pawn from queen. Another question is which piece, white or black ?
    I can't think of anything decent UI design-wise.

b) Overlay is looks awful and assaults my esthetic feelings(tried that already) . We were discussing that thing with HotStuff2 couple of hours ago. Here is what can be done:

* I can give you letters bellow the board in 0.86 and digits in the landscape mode which is actually light years away from now .

* I can zoom out the board if you hold finger for 500 milliseconds and zoom back once you release it.
    www.caissa.us

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Any chance of a position-setup feature in a future update?

This is my current Default.png

and this is how I envisage the board preview:

Each board receives a 36x36 preview with 2x2 squares.
    Last edited by armadillo; 2008-01-17 at 01:38 AM.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post
    Any chance of a position-setup feature in a future update?
    Big chance It is in the works, we didn't decide on UI implementation yet.

Armadillo

We could totally package your Default.png yesterday in your addon, you know as well as .... hmmm....
    * thinking indicator
    * push button skins (back,save,load,hint)

I can think of lotsa different things, like animation effects. Like burst in cloud (frames).

Wishful thinking. I must concentrate on new gameplay features.
    www.caissa.us

Sorry, I had no idea you were considering a new default.png as well. Feel free to do what ever you want with the one I posted. Anyway, so here is what I have in mind for the pieces:

These would use a png with dimensions of 36x68 and would be included in the relevant pieces folder. So if a pieces folder contains a png that is called preview.png, you could load it into the list display.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

I am convinced
    Let's target that for 0.86. Looks gorgeous.
    www.caissa.us

Quote Originally Posted by d_sanche View Post
    lol, i thought she was real cool.

Here's another option:

Oh, and here is a possible method of adding coordinates. It could be done either for the board itself or programmatically by overlaying Arial 10 pt white with grey outline:

Last edited by armadillo; 2008-01-18 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Come visit AlohaSoft

22. The Following User Says Thank You to armadillo For This Useful Post:

ioffe (2008-01-17)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast