Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: kDialer v1.0

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Under MMi Utilities.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Didn't read the More Info for iDialer?

Put in your home or work number, then press the +Contacts button. Now it defaults to your number, and you can dial other numbers be entering the trailing difference.

But, kDialer should be visible on MMI Installer Source under MMI Utilities.
    You may want to wait a few days for iDialer v2.0 instead, however.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

I got it now but earlier today it wasn't showing up on Installer; only iDialer.

Anyway, kDialer is definitely a cool app.

--
    Mike

Yes, the current implementation is good, but if can input using name (e.g. John is 5646) and get all the "John" from the contacts (as well as all the combination of 5646, JKL MNO GHI JKL) would be perfect.

In addition, I don't live in USA, is there any way to get rid of the brackets ? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by laichikok View Post
    Yes, the current implementation is good, but if can input using name (e.g. John is 5646) and get all the "John" from the contacts (as well as all the combination of 5646, JKL MNO GHI JKL) would be perfect.
    The "Search" app will already do that. In fact it searches the entire contact for what you type in. So, in the above example it would also find contacts that have "John" in, say, the Notes field of a contact. Very powerful. I only wish I could then edit a found contact, instead of just calling, emailing, viewing, etc.

I think Search is so good it's on the main page of my springboard. I don't have have to bother with the rolodex-like "search" that the standard Contacts app provides. I'm even gonna donate.

--
    Mike
    Last edited by Tinman; 2007-12-29 at 07:09 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Am I missing something with this app? It seems to have installed properly, but when I tap the icon to launch it, I get a screen that says ""Loading... kDialer v 1.0" and it hangs there for about half a minute, then it closes back to summerboard. I am assuming that this isn't the proper way it should function.

Thanks

Sounds like you don't have correct permissions set? Did you install it manually or through Installer?

Thanks

I installed it through Installer. I am going to uninstall it, check with WinSCP if there is anything I need to "clean up" and then reinstall and see if that changes things.

Could it be like Customize that crashes for the first 3-4 times it's executed? Then it's ok later?
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Thanks

Follow up - uninstalled completely, then re-installed. Same result. I checked the permissions in the app, and here is the list, all in the kDialer.app folder...
    Default.png - 0666
    icon.png - 0666
    Info.plist - 0666
    kDialer - 0777
    readme.txt - 0666

Can you try manually launching the app from an SSH session or from MobileTerminal and see if you get any helpful (to me) output?

Alternatively, can you see if there are any /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/kDialer*.plist files?

Or, can you try installing iDialer v2.0 from my new post or from MMI Installer when it is uploaded?
    Pocket-sized Development

Thanks

I totally uninstalled and re-installed once again, just to see what would happen. No change in the result. Attached is the plist file you wanted to see, zipped up.

I am wondering if there is any limit to the size of the contacts list that the program is trying to search. Mine is quite large, although it is no different than similar programs used when I was using Windows Mobile Professional on my previous PDA. I have somewhere around a thousand contacts, and most have multiple phone numbers.

Thanks for your assistance.

I have not tried iDialer yet. Depending on what you say after looking at the plist here will determine if I try that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

path for the plist is not what you had suggested - it is....
    var/logs/CrashReporter

I installed iDialer - it seems to load very quickly, and functions perfectly. So, whatever the problem is on my iPhone, it appears limited to just kDialer. I am still thinking that kDialer doesn't like the large size of my contact list. I am curious as to how many contacts other have that are successfully using kDialer.
    Last edited by tsatryan; 2007-12-31 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Sorry to be dominating this thread....
    Actually, what I had installed that I reported was working is iDialer 1.0.1 from Installer. That worked fine. But, I discovered that you have released iDialer 2.0, which is not on installer, but available here in its own thread. So, I downloaded that. I uninstalled iDialer 1.0.1 using Installer. Then, using WinSCP, I installed version 2.0 of iDialer. Just to be clear, what I did was unzip the downloaded file, then copy the iDialer.app folder in total into the Applications directory.

Bottom line - iDialer 2.0 crashes in the same way as kDialer 1.0

Attached is the plist of the crash of iDialer 2.0
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

2.0 is on Installer now.

This is a very promising ap. Thank you for your work on this. One question I have is if there is a way to have it search contacts so that it will recognize numbers in the contact name. I own rentasl property and have most of my contacts sorted by using the property address as the first name. iDialer will not find these contacts if I try to just input the address numbers.

Any chance of somehow incorprating this ap into the native iPhone phone ap so we can have the links below for favorites, voicemail etc. Also, it would be nice if it was easier to scroll through all of the applicable search matches, maybe by using scrolling right in the area that the search results appear.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nelse92 For This Useful Post:

Tinman (2008-01-01)

Quote Originally Posted by nelse92 View Post
    This is a very promising ap. Thank you for your work on this. One question I have is if there is a way to have it search contacts so that it will recognize numbers in the contact name. I own rentasl property and have most of my contacts sorted by using the property address as the first name. iDialer will not find these contacts if I try to just input the address numbers.

Any chance of somehow incorprating this ap into the native iPhone phone ap so we can have the links below for favorites, voicemail etc. Also, it would be nice if it was easier to scroll through all of the applicable search matches, maybe by using scrolling right in the area that the search results appear.
    Again, the "Search" application will already do that.

--
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    Sorry to be dominating this thread....
    Actually, what I had installed that I reported was working is iDialer 1.0.1 from Installer. That worked fine. But, I discovered that you have released iDialer 2.0, which is not on installer, but available here in its own thread. So, I downloaded that. I uninstalled iDialer 1.0.1 using Installer. Then, using WinSCP, I installed version 2.0 of iDialer. Just to be clear, what I did was unzip the downloaded file, then copy the iDialer.app folder in total into the Applications directory.

Bottom line - iDialer 2.0 crashes in the same way as kDialer 1.0

Attached is the plist of the crash of iDialer 2.0
    Ditto.. i have the same problem.

Matching numbers in the contact name is a very good point. I have fixed this for the next version.

I don't think I have the fortitude to replicate Apple's MobilePhone application complete - I don't know an easy way to provide access to Contacts, etc. otherwise (though I could launch Contacts, maybe, from a +Contact long press).

I will experiment with treating the display area like a scroll bar - I am not sure how effective that would be...

Quote Originally Posted by nelse92 View Post

Pocket-sized Development

Default Good initiative...
    ... but this app is basically useless for me. Why would I want to search my contacts by number? The address book is there in the first place because users do not want and cannot remember the numbers. What would be a smart way to go is something that was done when you go to new SMS - letter keyboard is popped up and you type a letter - everything that STARTS with typed letter(s) shows up in a LIST below which you can browse. As you continue typing, list is narrowed down automatically. You could also decide to go to keypad keyboard if you really wanted to. Now, that would be a smart app. Sorry if I am missing something here, I tried kDialer 1.0 and uinstalled it right away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast