Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iDialer

I would have to agree with ronfin to some extent. I think that this is exactly the reason Apple didn't want the platform to be open. The Installer approach doesn't help much either since everybody and their grandma post pointless apps. There should be some quality control. But!!! These are early days and there are some useful apps out there. Apple hasn't really added much value to the iPhone and the first apps they provided aren't that useful either. So I think that we will see improvements both in quality and scope of the apps. Come February, we will see some really cool apps coming out.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Well
    Well, from my perspective, the iPhone is nothing more, to me, than a toy, so, to me, the useless, funny, entertaining apps are exactly what I need because I take my iPhone out when I want to make people laugh, because that's what it does. When I want a real phone, to do a real job, and host my apps/multimedia/etc properly i will take something else.

HOWEVER

At the same time I have to thank the devs who are actually making some real software that apple hasn't because it seems that it is only for you guys that this phone might ever go from being a joke to maybe replacing my current fav which is my N95.

But until I can send anything I want by bluetooth, use A2DP, edit documents of various kinds, manage my time, manage my contacts (properly) and even have various other things at my fingertips when I require, the iPhone will remain just that to me, an iPod that makes phone calls.

Want everything, expect nothing. That's the way I live, especially when this is concerned.

Oh, and great job on this App, will most probably come in really handy for me since several numbers I dial regularly happen (by pure chance) to be almost identical except for the last 3-4 digits. I look forward to see how much easier this might even be to looking up contacts. It has great potential, well done and respect from this end. Keep it up.

I agree with you alias_neo, and that's how I feel about my iPhone too. It's "neat" to take out and show people that it CAN do what they think it CAN'T do, show off new themes, icons, and other graphics I've custom made, and it also fits better in the pocket. But, at work it can't even do the simplest things my 8525 can, like block calls and filter only emergency ones when I'm at work. Does someone have to make a call blocker you shake in order to get it accomplished? I'd like that. See a call coming in you don't wanna answer and shake the phone to hang up? Cool. lol But seriously, the iPhone developing community is still in it's infancy, so we can't expect much compared to the WM community that's been around much longer. I'd just like to see the focus fade away from stupid and pointless apps that clutter the installer, and better updates to apps with promise (ie MMS and Video). Those two were created, MMS in particular, but unlike the WM community were multiple developers join together to fix and release a working app, only one person is expected to do it alone? I think if there was a better cohesive attempt to work together and share the work load, we'd see these apps take off at a faster rate. IMHO. -ronfin

Thanks

I agree with you there to ronfin, I know it seems like we're just complaining but personally I am incapable of helping here, I have no experience with the Mac OS and even less with their mobile platform (so entirely none) I am a developer on other platforms but generally windows based, desktop, linux based desktop or for specific architectures like ARM and MIPS (Think Symbian Mobiles and PSP respectively) but with the lack of knowledge here I really don't think I can contribute anything to these things I'd like to see added myself.

Like you say the community is in its infancy and in other areas I hae seen it take years for the real good stuff get developed, very shortly after to be followed by the real deal by the OEM. But as you say, for the time being I'll use a phone I can rely on where it really counts, and carry the iPhone round in my suit pocket when I'm just going out.

P.S. This accelerometer business is quite funny but seriously, shaking this thing just makes one look like a wanker.
    Last edited by alias_neo; 2007-12-25 at 10:56 PM. Reason: P.S.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Seems as though I touched off quite a bit of posting with my comments. Sorry to have ruffled any feathers. I was not trying to express joy at the seemingly endless numbers of apps that have fairly little if any meaningful value, while all the while there are needed apps that we all would love to have on our iPhones.

But, I was posting to indicate that all of these apps, for the most part, have been available to anyone at absolutely no cost at all. And, when people complain about what they get for free, it makes them look small and unappreciative.

I think that you will find that most Windows Mobile users are not getting their applications from A dev, but rather from sources such as Handango and PocketGear. So far, there is no parallel for iPhone users. And, I hope that it remains that way. We will see more clearly come February.

But, my point was, and still is, don't bite the hand that is giving you something for free. If you don't like an app, then fine, don't download and install it. But, don't complain that someone created it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tsatryan For This Useful Post:

centurionone (2007-12-26)

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    ...If you don't like an app, then fine, don't download and install it. But, don't complain that someone created it.
    Exactly! This is the same thing we have to repeat time and time again, even at xda-dev, because everyone always forgets that when you come to any site like this, you're basically a "tester". These apps aren't made bug free, and that's why we have updates, but only AFTER the public testers here have reported issues.

Thanks

Default Hmm
    I think the point being made is that people are complaining about apps being useless. I mean for gods sake, they're free, if you don't appreciate somebody's work because it's useless to you then just forget it and move on, but complaining that there are too many useless apps is just stupid, you're not being forced to pay for anything, or download anything. Use them or don't.

Somebody somewhere wants the iFartz app, sure it's not got much practical purpose but there are enough people that find it entertaining enough. You don't like it? Ignore it. Simple as.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

LMAO @ this thread.... Not at the main topic... but the rest... LMAO!

P.S. A-DEV rocks.... took me far with my T-Mobile MDA...
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

iDialer updated to 1.0.1 - fixed crash when entering too many digits.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

im too lazy to test, but did this update fix that annoying loading page when you first open the app?? cuz this app is perfect in every way, other than that awful Please wait loading part.

Sorry, what would you prefer? It takes a while for the iPhone to launch an application, and I prefer to know that versus the (for example) default MobileFinder screen, which looks like the application is ready, but it is really still loading and unresponsive.

Also, that file is the Default.png in the .app directory - you can replace it with another file if you prefer.
    Pocket-sized Development

this dialer is great! Is there a way to change the default Keypad icon to point to iDialer so that when i press Keypad, iDialer appears instead of Apple's default keypad??

I don't think that will be too easy...
    Pocket-sized Development

Is iDialer still being worked on? Would like to see it working for 1.1.3. Would be a pity if it isn't.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's working with my 1.1.3 iphone.

I will do some work after I get up to 1.1.3 - still need to figure out the large # of contacts issue.

Anything else it need?
    Pocket-sized Development

Cool cool. I can wait Thanks btw. This makes the iPhone that much more useful.

its not working whit 1.1.3 (otb 1.0.2)

Quote Originally Posted by amf View Post
    It's working with my 1.1.3 iphone.
    Hi amf,
    I just tried IDIALER 2.0, on my "US imported 1.1.1" + Ziphone 2.4( ==> so now, it is a full functionnal 1.1.3 )...and the Icon it s not even showing on springboard..
    Ive been told that the Right/permissions managements have been modified on 1.1.3...but not so sure its the reason...
    Could you be give more details, for the way you managed to make it work?
    Moded version?
    Permission changed with SSH?

Will be nice to make this great apps , working back again on my phone..(was working perfectly when was on 1.1.1 ..so worry )

thanks
    david916

iDialer isn't Searching correctly on my 1.1.3 but the icon is showing up.

Have you used something like BossTool to create more Applications space? Are you sure you are not out of space in the root partition?
    Pocket-sized Development

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast