Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iDynDNS - Dynamic DNS Updater

Thanks

Default iDynDNS - Dynamic DNS Updater
    I'm pleased to announce the release of iDynDNS. This is a dynamic DNS updater client for the iPhone (and iPod Touch I suppose...) If you use your iPhone in an environment where you don't have control over the IP address it gets (static mapping), and it changes periodically, iDynDNS automatically updates the hostname of your choosing on your DynDNS: DNS Hosting, Email Delivery and Other Services account to point to your iPhone. Then you can simply ssh into the hostname to always connect to your iPhone (as long as you are on the same internal network, of course.)

iDynDNS has a UI application to enter your username, password, and hostname information for your dyndns.com account, as well as a daemon to automatically update your account if you IP address has changed. The UI application also lets you select how often to check for an IP change (currently 5, 15, and 30 minutes). I've submitted the app to MMi's repository, but I've also created a googlecode project (idyndns - Google Code) where you can grab it and install it manually. Instructions are on the page.

I hope someone out there finds this useful. Please let me know what you think, but be nice, this is my first iPhone app

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I sign up to DynDNS to view my DVR at work but i seem to not get it to work. It a four channel DVR for video security and i been trying it to work on my phone. Any idea.

Thanks

Wow - DynDNS for iPhone? Haha. That's hilarious.

Man, with all the stuff coming out, and the potential of the iPhone, I only have one concern: BATTERY LIFE. It's better than a laptop, but still not good enough.

it doesnt work over edge

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keatonreckard View Post
    it doesnt work over edge
    Why would you want it to? It doesn't look like it's possible to connect to the iphone remotely when it's just on edge. I just tried connecting to the IP bossprefs reports I have when I am on edge and no luck. No pings back either.

because you might have firewall access that checks the IP address of the connecting device.... so you have iphone.dyndns.org set to be your iphone IP, and the device you have setup will allow connections from that.....

update your IP with this app, then connect via SSH to a server that is set to allow a connection from that dynamic IP....

Has this app been submitted to the app store?

Quote Originally Posted by atomjack View Post
    Why would you want it to? It doesn't look like it's possible to connect to the iphone remotely when it's just on edge. I just tried connecting to the IP bossprefs reports I have when I am on edge and no luck. No pings back either.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i get a error when excuting chmod +s /usr/local/bin/idyndns_daemon/idyndnsctl ?

return

code 1
    Last edited by aonavy; 2008-08-12 at 01:07 AM.
    Bought the Iphone 3g on Friday jailbroke it on Monday!!!

Black IPhone 3g Jailbroken.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FikseGTS View Post
    Has this app been submitted to the app store?
    No, and I don't intend to. From what I've heard, they don't allow background processes, and this app requires a daemon to actually be useful. I'll release a 2.0 (jailbroken) version eventually, but I'm holding off upgrading since mobilecast hasn't been updated yet (hopefully soon).

I looked for this and could not find it! What happened?

Duuude, I soooooooo need this. I want it to go through the WAN, not the WIFI - does it do this?

The manual install of this doesn't appear to work with 2.1.

However, I found another way of doing this, that is using wget and a script that runs periodically (mine runs every 30 seconds) and then checks and updates the IP. I found the script in the dyndns forums and modified it to work with the iPhone.

Let me know if you want this functionality and I can tell you how to set it up.

Thanks, but I rather use the Iphone application that is posted here. BTW, where the hell is it?

Thanks for the link, lazy bastards. NOT.

http://idyndns.googlecode.com/files/iDynDNS.zip
    Last edited by DottieAlpine; 2009-01-12 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I and others could not get that App to work with 2.1 Firmware. Let us know your results.

I would be interested in a version that does not include the update daemon, but which works on non-jailbreak phones (and could be submitted to the app store). You would just run it once to update your DNS with your current IP. Much easier than going into settings to get your IP and then updating DynDNS manually.

Any news on idyndns? Is it dead or awaiting ressurection? For those of us with 3G or a good range of WiFi hotspots I want to use it connect to a VPN router that needs a qualified domain/ip address. As the others say it does not work on manual install with 2.1.

Any new on whether this has been updated?? I know there is an app in the appstore that can do this, but I'd really love to have a daemon running so I don't have to remember to run it every time i move networks.

i would like to join the project since it looks stalled .. pls PM

17. The Following User Says Thank You to s01aris For This Useful Post:

johnsalatas1980 (2010-12-01)