Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iComic Manga Reader

thanks for the app works great here is a pic of it in action for me

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

now this is a cool app

Anybody know a site that you can download a WIDE variety of comics, not just manga? (Im kind of a comic book nerd, so having this would be really cool...)

its not allowed here to link to stuff like this but if anyone knows about waffles and is a member they jsut started to allow Comics. Even tho its a .cbr file you can unzip that file and rezip them into a .zip file and it works fine.

Which brings me to asking if this app can get more rar type file support. .cbr is standard for comics and is basically the same thing as a zip...can that be coded it along with .rar as well?

hi kurosagi,

this app is what i've really been waiting for!

but i'm having problems with the blog link provided to get the app coz my pc just would not recognize its download link and wouldn't even show it. tried other PCs in our house without any luck.

would it be ok for you to upload your translated version here or in the MMi downloads section? thanks.

Thanks vishnuvenky got it to work but i had to use my windows laptop because all this time i was using my macbook and i guess it didnt couldn't zip the files...but thanks again...

Default iComic issues
    I'm having some troubles getting iComic to run. I've tried both versions that are available to download, I've made sure the permission is set to 755, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times.

My issue is that every time I launch it, it hangs on a blank screen and then goes back to the springboard. I'm running 1.1.1, anybody have and suggestions?

Can someone explain the settings to me? I really have no idea how anything works.
    What do these do:
    Move to Top Right
    Scroll Speed (how many seconds is 50? 100? 70? I know what it does)
    Slide to Right
    Button Size
    Rotations?

So confusing. Too lazy to figure it out :P
    Last edited by runningwild; 2007-12-18 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by primod808 View Post
    Thanks vishnuvenky got it to work but i had to use my windows laptop because all this time i was using my macbook and i guess it didnt couldn't zip the files...but thanks again...
    Always happy to help out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I'm having some troubles getting iComic to run. I've tried both versions that are available to download, I've made sure the permission is set to 755, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times.

My issue is that every time I launch it, it hangs on a blank screen and then goes back to the springboard. I'm running 1.1.1, anybody have and suggestions?
    Read my post above...i had the same issue...
    when copying the new files over to the japaneses strings...make sure u copy all the files given in the download for english strings!!
    and try this..i found that win scp din set the permissions to these copied string files....go into that folder in winscp..and change the permissions for these files too
    Last edited by vishnuvenky; 2007-12-18 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Did I Help you?? Then Hit the Thanks button!
    16gb iPhone running 1.1.4
    Jailbroken and Unlocked!
    MMi ROCKS!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vishnuvenky For This Useful Post:

Azrael (2007-12-19)

Default Got it!
    Thanks Vishnuvenky. I checked the strings and reset their permissions. Also off that I decided to check every item in the folder and the actual iComic wasn't set right... Got it working, thank god. Now this long flight home for the holidays will be filled with comic booky goodness!

Hey, all of my comics are in .pdf. I've zipped them up individually, but the app can not seam to read them. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by evilcakebox View Post
    Hey, all of my comics are in .pdf. I've zipped them up individually, but the app can not seam to read them. Any ideas?
    read the posts above......as of now the reader doesnt support pdf files....
    Did I Help you?? Then Hit the Thanks button!
    16gb iPhone running 1.1.4
    Jailbroken and Unlocked!
    MMi ROCKS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vishnuvenky View Post
    read the posts above......as of now the reader doesnt support pdf files....
    you can use a number of pdf to jpeg converters available, some free. i put up a post here if you want to learn how to download text files and convert them into readable books on your iPhone.

Default Still can't find a way.
    Alright. Followed this procedure:

Downloaded iComic, and the english menu zip.
    Unzipped both.
    Came up with a folder called icomic007_0, and one called English Menu.
    Fired up CyberDuck, sftp'd in just great, full access.
    Copied the icomic icon from withing icomic007_0 into /applications.

Didn't even bother with the english files yet.

Viewed the 'info' of all files within icomic.app in Cyberduck, checked "apply permissions recursively". Hit apply.

Restarted iphone.

The icon for iComic does not appear on my home screen (any of them, i'm using 'Customize').

Using the mobile finder app, I tried to launch iComic. Nothing. nada. Goes to black screen, then back to home screen. (App launching from within MobileFinder is enabled).

Tried going into customize and 'hiding' the icon, applying changes, then 'unhiding' the icon, and restarting springboard. No change. No icon. Program still won't run from within MobileFinder either.

I'm stuck. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone here offer a bit of advice for a stranded not-so-noob on the installation, as well as the exact file tree for installing the english language files?

Much appreciated, the thread has been a great help so far.

Quote Originally Posted by notsobushy View Post
    Copied the icomic icon from withing icomic007_0 into /applications.
    the icomic icon???? you gotta paste the entire icomic.app folder not just the icon

Default Um, yea.
    I think that goes unsaid. Of course the app needs more than an icon to run. My point was that the icon for the app does not appear on my home screen. No button to press to launch the app whose folder/files I've put in my apps folder. Thoughts?

Edit:
    Also, under MacOS the downloaded iphone.app appears as an icon, and not a folder. Hence, I moved the icon, which contained the files.

i was finally able to figure out how to install an english version using the japanese orig:
    - download the japanese iComic007 from googlecode http://code.google.com/p/iphonecomic/
    - unzip the iComic007 pack and copy the whole iComic.app folder into your phone's <root>/applications folder directory
    - create a new folder named Comic in var/root/media/ so var /root/media/Comic is the folder wherein you put all your zipped comics/documents
    - change the permissions of all the files inside the iComic007.app folder. (i use mobilefinder in the phone)
    - respring your springboard
    - then to get icomic in English, delete the japanese.lproj folder directory under <root>/applications/icomic.app
    - repsring again and you will find that iComic is now in perfect english!

* thanks kurosagi for showing the psp tool to convert documents into jpegs. works great!
    * for those who have ebooks in pdf formats, you can manually convert them into jpegs by using photoshop. just drag the pdf file into photoshop and when it asks you what resolution you want the document image to be, make it between 100-150dpi only (it's only text anyway). then save it as jpeg (it automatically flattens the file to make the background white).

regards,
    m.o.r.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to m.o.r. For This Useful Post:

calumks (2008-06-19)

Thanks MOR, followed your instructions, still not having any luck. Made sure all permissions are set at 493(755), still nada. No icon appears on the home screen. Argh.

Quote Originally Posted by aphung View Post
    it keeps crashing on me :/ and im on 1.1.1 any help guys?
    I finally fixed my crashing problem. In Transmit, my SFTP client, I selected the iComic.app and changed the permissions to 755, and I clicked 'Apply to enclosed items.' Works now.

Gave up, used installer. It's under the 'moyashi' source. Happy Holidays, and intoxication to all!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast