Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Native App Ideas

Default iPhone Native App Ideas
    Ok so I've been thinking since I got mobile Terminal installed and voice recorder installed about some killer apps for the phone. My ideas include:

AN Iphone File Browser
    A native IM client. Maybe a port of Ichat?

What others could we see? Does anyone have links to information on how to develop native apps for the phone? I might take a crack and developing one or two myself...but I don't even know where to get the info/code examples etc...

What language apps are written in would be an excellent start. Is it perl? Java? Something else? What API information has been collected so far would be helpful has well. Someone has figured out how to use the deletion functions and such in the GUI for the voice recorder....so I'm sure this is a simple function call right?
    Last edited by AustinSTI; 2007-08-09 at 05:20 PM.

I don't know much about programming, I'm a technician by trade and web app programmer in my off time. However you may want to check the progress on The iPhone Dev Wiki... most importantly the toolchain project...

Also... check out this website... http://developer.berlios.de/projects/iphone-binutils/ ... this is Nightwatch's toolchain home site...

As for applications that I would love to see...
    • A port of iChat
    • A modem app for tethering the phone rather than having the long list of steps

Personally I'd rather people focus on iChat versus an NES Emulator...so much more practical...

An app which takes photos attached to emails and places them in the photo album of the iphone.

Gameboy emulator. I miss pokemon, lol.

we got a voice recorder... how bout an app that can take video???

Quote Originally Posted by acer1981 View Post
    we got a voice recorder... how bout an app that can take video???
    Oooo - good idea; didn't think about that one. Now that we have a command line utlity to send a file via email I think it'd be great if that function was integrated into a file browser GUI on the phone...

An app activated to take information from field test application determine location of iphone and place a mark onto google maps to indicate such.

iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrowner View Post
    An app activated to take information from field test application determine location of iphone and place a mark onto google maps to indicate such.
    heck yeah! gps through triangulation!!
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable

The I phone is seriously lacking in third party apps! Here are some ideas.

1) how about the ability to open PPT and excel documents?
    2) Games?
    3) to do list..... I live by my to do list and miss this function on from my treo.
    4) make the calender look exactly like Ical.... color coding for calenders
    Widgets??

5)How about the ability to do a video/ voice chat via I chat. Could talk to international friends with out the long distance fees! (ATT probly wont allow this one!)

Just some suggestions. I am a avid mac user but when it comes to programming, im lost. Are these ideas even able to be done with the current iphone set up??

Quote Originally Posted by dard9086 View Post
    The I phone is seriously lacking in third party apps! Here are some ideas.

1) how about the ability to open PPT and excel documents?
    2) Games?
    3) to do list..... I live by my to do list and miss this function on from my treo.
    4) make the calender look exactly like Ical.... color coding for calenders
    Widgets??

5)How about the ability to do a video/ voice chat via I chat. Could talk to international friends with out the long distance fees! (ATT probly wont allow this one!)

Just some suggestions. I am a avid mac user but when it comes to programming, im lost. Are these ideas even able to be done with the current iphone set up??
    Here's my guesses on feasibility:

#1 is complex because you'd need to port office for the mac
    #2 is possible but I'd rather see something valuable than games
    #3 To-Do is possible
    #4 is possible
    #5 may be possible with a proper port of iChat however bandwidth is another issue entirely. no one is sure is the camera can record video. If it cannot its a hardware issue and not feasible.

how about making it so that the voice recorder app have a button that you can e-mail the files off the phone? kinda like the camera app

it would be great to see some of the awesome talent (maybe they already are, or maybe its not possible) work on getting bluetooth profiles like Stereo Bluetooth A2DP working so that you can use the new stereo BT headsets with the ipod part of the phone...

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/03/iphon...nshot-utility/
    TUAW is saying no go on video, but that might just mean the process they where trying.
    The iphone experience is amazing to me. I agree some tweeks here and there on the Native apps would be nice. I would love to be able to take video and to be able to edit photos (Rotate,Resize,Hue & Saturation, Brightness & Contrast simple editing options) and be able to save them to the phone on the phone.
    Last edited by artificialvision; 2007-08-12 at 03:40 PM.

1. a native IM. Beejive is nice, but I don't want to be in a browser.
    2. MMS. This phone can do so much but I can't send a pic message?
    3. Native support for office docs in both viewing modes. This is a MUST! (I know all about Readdle)
    4. MORE SYSTEM STABILITY!!! My browser must crash every session at least 2x.

I know it's only practical for a very small group, but many of the doctors I work with are drooling over the possibility of an iphone version of a PDR. They all have it on their palm pilots but woudl love to ditch them in favor of an iphone. Someday...

Quote Originally Posted by curt2121 View Post
    I know it's only practical for a very small group, but many of the doctors I work with are drooling over the possibility of an iphone version of a PDR. They all have it on their palm pilots but woudl love to ditch them in favor of an iphone. Someday...
    Doesn't the voice recorder app do this??

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AustinSTI For This Useful Post:

njaunich (2007-09-01)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

althou launcher is a nice way to get to other apps installed on the phone. I would like to see springboard updated for multiple pages. take the last app space and make it a arrow and allow multiple springboard pages. Pages.app.....

SSH Client

SFTP with Gui

Theme Manager and Installer (Based on Installer.app possibly)

Last edited by moodog; 2007-08-13 at 06:49 PM.

requests for iphone applications;

1. IM client (web version works fine, but like it as an app)
    2. skype
    3. office package(ability to open and edit, and a folder on the iphone where you can store files you work with frequently, just like the NES app has that foldder on /var/root/media/ROMs/NES)

My number one:
    IM CLIENT, PLEASE DEVELOPERS!
    I wish i could do it but i'm not as talented as you all...

and yes, also a theme manager.... that would be GREAT.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinSTI View Post
    Doesn't the voice recorder app do this??
    Ya, all my dad's Co workers use PDR on their blackberry's and stuff. He's not to tech savvy, but I told him if it comes out for iphone he should get one. I don't think he's too fond of the idea though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast