Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: weDict version 0.4.1

iPhone? More like MyPhone spongebobiwan's Avatar
    Thanks

Default weDict version 0.4.1
    A "new" version of weDict is appearing on the updates for Installer app, named weDict v 0.4.1. Not knowing what version of weDict I already had installed on my iPhone (jailbroken 1.1.2) I selected to update. Upon doing that, I received a "package download failed!" Error.

After further examination, I discovered that the version already installed on my iPhone is version 0.5, obviously a higher number then 0.4.1. I'm not sure what's going on with this, perhaps this is infact an update but it was miss-named (version number miss-name) as it was put on Installer, which might explain the "package download failed!" Error.

Installer continues to show a "1" inside the little red circle that depicts how many updates are available and of course, that "1" won't go away until this issue is resolved.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 2007-11-25 at 05:47 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Uninstall WeDict and reinstall with the updated version.

Thanks

No offense, but I'm just curious; did you actually TRY that, or are you just giving out some random advice here? The reason I ask this question is that I actually DID try that. It was the first thing I thought of to try, and it did NOT work. When you uninstall weDict 0.5, you no longer even receive a weDict 0.4.1 update notification on Installer: think about it, if you don't have the original, you won't receive an update notification for it.

Secondly, why on earth would an update for version 0.5 be number 0.4.1? There obviously has been some sort of error in numbering or something here as far as I can tell. My guess is, that the publisher's meant to label it version 0.5.1 and missed a digit. And for that very reason, it will not install as perhaps Installer is intelligent enough to recognize that the so-called "newer" version number is lower then the "older" version number.

Lastly, I'm just going to make a comment about responsibility in posting to this community. Without trying to be harsh about it or judgemental, it needs to be recognized that when somebody gives out advice here, many people do not check out the number of posts a person has made nor have any information whatsoever on the validity of a post or the credibility of the poster. They merely think they have found a solution to their problem and they go for it. In this particular case, I don't see where any harm could have come from somebody following this advice albiet incorrect, and I'm sure that your intentions were good ones. However, in some instances, that is not the case, and people DO in fact follow advice they see here and unwittingly do run into all sorts of difficulties. Case in point: when 1.1.1 iPhone update came out, there were a couple reports floating around by someone who claimed to have updated from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 and they were still able to load their 3rd party software applications without problem. These initial reports were obviously wrong and I know many people that suddenly either had bricked iPhones or at least iPhones that they could no longer put 3rd party apps on for 2 or 3 weeks until 1.1.1 was jailbroken.

So let's just be a bit careful about giving out advice here and not post merely for the sake of adding another post so as to not cause more problems for someone then they already may be experiencing.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 2007-11-25 at 09:12 AM.

no need to type a big damn wall of text, guy. i tried his suggestion and it worked eventually.

damn i dont see the update for wedict 0.5

Hello.. apparently Installer doesn't work well when there's more than 1 version of an application (in this case weDict) from different sources (I'm guessing you have the weiphone source?). From experience, just ignore the 1 on installer and it will eventually go away. Stick with the version .5 that you have and keep ignoring that update. It will go away eventually or you can delete the weiphone source if you no longer need it.

I had to restore my phone and now after i jailbroke it again I cant install wedict anymore. Everything else installs fine. Is there an alternate route I can take to get wedict onto my phone, because I use that app alot. Or does anyone know if they will fix the one thats in installer. Any help is appreciated,

Much Thanks

Jordan
    1.1.1 Locked
    Jailbroken

Quote Originally Posted by jrdan24 View Post
    I had to restore my phone and now after i jailbroke it again I cant install wedict anymore. Everything else installs fine. Is there an alternate route I can take to get wedict onto my phone, because I use that app alot. Or does anyone know if they will fix the one thats in installer. Any help is appreciated,

Much Thanks

Jordan
    1.1.1 Locked
    Jailbroken
    Are you downloading it from under the "Productivity" category with the Ste source or from somewhere else? You can manually SSH into your fone. let me know if you want me to put up the app.

yeah from productivity. It keeps giving me error package download failed. If you post that app i would appreciate it. Im famialiar with ssh, since I use it all the time. Just let me know where exactly to install the files. And i can do the rest.

Thanks

Jordan
    Last edited by jrdan24; 2007-11-25 at 03:18 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spongebobiwan View Post
    No offense, but I'm just curious; did you actually TRY that, or are you just giving out some random advice here? The reason I ask this question is that I actually DID try that. It was the first thing I thought of to try, and it did NOT work. When you uninstall weDict 0.5, you no longer even receive a weDict 0.4.1 update notification on Installer: think about it, if you don't have the original, you won't receive an update notification for it.

Secondly, why on earth would an update for version 0.5 be number 0.4.1? There obviously has been some sort of error in numbering or something here as far as I can tell. My guess is, that the publisher's meant to label it version 0.5.1 and missed a digit. And for that very reason, it will not install as perhaps Installer is intelligent enough to recognize that the so-called "newer" version number is lower then the "older" version number.

Lastly, I'm just going to make a comment about responsibility in posting to this community. Without trying to be harsh about it or judgemental, it needs to be recognized that when somebody gives out advice here, many people do not check out the number of posts a person has made nor have any information whatsoever on the validity of a post or the credibility of the poster. They merely think they have found a solution to their problem and they go for it. In this particular case, I don't see where any harm could have come from somebody following this advice albiet incorrect, and I'm sure that your intentions were good ones. However, in some instances, that is not the case, and people DO in fact follow advice they see here and unwittingly do run into all sorts of difficulties. Case in point: when 1.1.1 iPhone update came out, there were a couple reports floating around by someone who claimed to have updated from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 and they were still able to load their 3rd party software applications without problem. These initial reports were obviously wrong and I know many people that suddenly either had bricked iPhones or at least iPhones that they could no longer put 3rd party apps on for 2 or 3 weeks until 1.1.1 was jailbroken.

So let's just be a bit careful about giving out advice here and not post merely for the sake of adding another post so as to not cause more problems for someone then they already may be experiencing.
    UUUMM... what the hell was the point in this? all he said was unistall and install, then you type a 4 page letter crying about nothing, wow... but we still love ya. Now, back too the topic... Theres an update available for this app.... LOL!
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)

Thanks

The fact that's there's two different versions, is because it seems weiphone has thrown their hand in and made another WeDict (.5) which also doesn't even work (for me at least). It can't find a damn word.... any word.

The original version, made by Ste does still work, and has been updated from version 0.20 to 0.41 which it seems it having problems right now downloading from installer.app
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2007-11-25 at 07:09 PM.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

there is indeed a problem with weiphone's Wedict 0.5. i blindingly updated mine thinking it was from ste and true enough 0.5 did not work at all. i uninstalled and tried to reinstall ste's wedict 0.4.1 but kept getting the "package download failed!" error.

in the end, i installed 0.4.1 trough ibrickr and wedict worked again w/o problems. but everytime i go to installer, it doesn't detect that i already have 0.4.1 installed so i went ahead and installed 0.4.1 over my existing one. too me a couple of tries but it successfully installed over the old ibrickr-installed 0.4.1.

now that installer knows i have it already, it only prompts me for wedict 0.5 which i will never install again.

EDIT: weDict v0.6.1 works great! many thanks to the developer for such a quick update!
    Last edited by m.o.r.; 2007-11-27 at 02:49 AM.

Try install v0.6.1 from weiphone source(http://app.weiphone.com/installer). before looking up word, at least one dictionaries need be selected in pref menu (i button at top right corner).

Running 061 on 112 iphone with no problems. For it to use any dicts, you have to go to the prefs and select the dicts (as the poster above suggested).

What I would like to know is if the 'sound' icon is working or not. What will it pronounce? What needs to be installed to get it to pronounce a word?
    Last edited by jrentzke; 2007-11-26 at 11:53 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jrentzke For This Useful Post:

lucello (2007-12-27)

download files from
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/s...r.bz2?download

unzip and copy the WyabdcRealPeopleTTS folder to /var/root/Library/weDict

The file is quite large (about 200m).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to laoren For This Useful Post:

lucello (2007-12-27)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laoren View Post
    Try install v0.6.1 from weiphone source(http://app.weiphone.com/installer). before looking up word, at least one dictionaries need be selected in pref menu (i button at top right corner).
    Um.. not to be belligerent, but why? WeDict .41 recognizes all installed dictionaries soon as it's run and searches them all. Are you saying if we use your WeDict, we have to add each and every dictionary to your prefs?

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you have two sources that both list the same program, and they both offer different version, you are always going to get an upgrade notice reguardless.

It works by looking at the version number of the program, if its not what the source has, it will say upgrade, even if the number is higher or lower. Just a bug that needs to be fixed by the installer devs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Um.. not to be belligerent, but why? WeDict .41 recognizes all installed dictionaries soon as it's run and searches them all. Are you saying if we use your WeDict, we have to add each and every dictionary to your prefs?
    It only takes a few seconds to add your dictionary(s) and you only need to do it one time. After that it remembers. No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    I just installed this version, and there is one advantage immediately evident to me. Being able to add and delete dictionaries in the prefs allows me to limit my results to my dictionaries of choice. I have quite a few installed, but I rarely want to see the results from all of them. Also, spongebobiwan is correct that it's no big deal... just a couple of clicks, only once if you always want them all on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    I just installed this version, and there is one advantage immediately evident to me. Being able to add and delete dictionaries in the prefs allows me to limit my results to my dictionaries of choice. I have quite a few installed, but I rarely want to see the results from all of them. Also, spongebobiwan is correct that it's no big deal... just a couple of clicks, only once if you always want them all on.
    I'm just a common sense kinda guy, if I don't want results from a dictionary, I un-install it. Otherwise it just takes up valuable space. And to me, having to do nothing at all is always better than going through unnecessary steps. But to each his own I guess.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast