Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 89

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: scientific calculator for iPhone

  1. #41
    "Error reading header after processing 0 entries" is what I got after downloading and trying to open the tar file. Do you have any idea on this error?

  2. #42
    open tar file with winrar. after unraring again open the unrared file with winrar and unrar and install.

  3. #43
    Clearly I am missing something (probably a sign I have no business trying to use a scientific calculator ) -- I got the file unzipped on my PC -- used iBrickr to upload it to the Applications folder on my iPhone -- but now I can't get it to appear as an app. It shows up in MobileFinder but I'm not sure or clear on what other steps I need to take to get it to work???

    Thanks for any help.

  4. #44
    Did you restart Springboard? New apps won't show up until you do. You can do that with SummerBoard or SysInfo, or you can simply reboot your phone.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    Did you restart Springboard? New apps won't show up until you do. You can do that with SummerBoard or SysInfo, or you can simply reboot your phone.
    I tried to hit Restart Springboard from within Summerboard -- nothing. I rebooted the phone -- nothing. Do I have to alter permissions or something like that? (not that I know how to do such a thing).

  6. #46
    I've never seen permissions cause the app to not display... though improper permissions can cause other issues.

    From your description, it sounds like you unzipped it, but are left with a .tar instead of a .app. I haven't worked with iPhone apps on a PC, so there may be an easier way, but it looks like Winzip should work on the tar file, put the contents of the tar into a folder named "MACalc.app" and copy that to the applications folder on the phone. I believe that will work.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    I've never seen permissions cause the app to not display... though improper permissions can cause other issues.

    From your description, it sounds like you unzipped it, but are left with a .tar instead of a .app. I haven't worked with iPhone apps on a PC, so there may be an easier way, but it looks like Winzip should work on the tar file, put the contents of the tar into a folder named "MACalc.app" and copy that to the applications folder on the phone. I believe that will work.
    I have done all that already. The app is on the iPhone and I can see it in MobileFinder I just can't get it to appear or run on the phone??????

    Thanks.

  8. #48
    Maybe if you post screen pictures of the directories we'll be able to spot the problem. One of the MACalc.app location, and one of the MACalc.app folder contents.

  9. #49
    I don't think this is the right place to discuss these things. Please take troubleshooting elsewhere. MACalc installs perfectly.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    I don't think this is the right place to discuss these things. Please take troubleshooting elsewhere. MACalc installs perfectly.
    Sorry to say Armadillo I disagree with you. First of all, there is no troubleshooting forum. Secondly, the app does not install perfectly -- I am not the only one to post about difficulties in getting it to install/run (on this and other sites' forums). There are currently multiple ways to get apps on your iPhone, the easiest being through installer, which of course does not yet feature this app. Sorry that many of us are not as competent or confident as you are in using terminal, Winscp, etc. to alter files to get them to function. Those of us less skilled come to these forums hoping to get help from those of you more knowledgeable. The perfect place to get help about installing a particular app would seem to be in the thread about that app. I'm not even sure why you object to having this content in this thread, but I'm sorry anyway. Thanks to those of you who tried to assist.

  11. #51
    I understand that PC folks have trouble with installing apps, but it has nothing to do with MACalc, which this thread is about. The app DOES install perfectly on a Mac. I downloaded it and I posted screenshots of the working application. If PCs cannot handle this, then it's a PC problem and should not be posted in this thread.

    The same installation problems come up in other threads as well. If all of these threads get cluttered with "how do I install?" and "it doesn't work, help please", then it gets really hard to keep threads on topic.

    But since there is no troubleshooting thread, may be this can be fixed by the mods.
    Last edited by armadillo; 2007-11-29 at 07:51 PM.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    I understand that PC folks have trouble with installing apps, but it has nothing to do with MACalc, which this thread is about. The app DOES install perfectly on a Mac. I downloaded it and I posted screenshots of the working application. If PCs cannot handle this, then it's a PC problem and should not be posted in this thread.
    Huh? I am on a PC, and MACalc does not run on my iphone (1.1.1 jailbroken + BSD subsystem). Here's what I did. Does any of the step matter more that I am on BSD/*nix box? I think not.

    1. Downloaded MACalc-0.0.6.tgz
    2. WinSCP into /Applications
    3. putty into iphone and on command prompt,
    tar -xzvf MACalc-0.0.6.tgz
    This extracted the package, with correct permissions.
    MACalc.app folder's permission is 755, files inside are 644, except MACalc, click.aiff, error.aiff, icon.png, and vibrator. This is consistent with what's in the .tgz file.
    4. Restarted Springboard. MACalc icon shows up.
    5. Click on MACalc, icons fade away. black screen. 4-5 seconds
    and then back to Springboard.
    6. I tried rebooting the iphone as well. Same effect as #5.
    7. Tried changing /Applications/MACalc.app folder permission to 777, still no go.

    I have a few other apps here and they all run without problems. Eg., services, stumbler, sysinfo, and screenshot.

    It's really a big shame to do rm -rf MACalc.app. I am a very big fan of RPN calculator. sad sad sad.
    Last edited by nutiu; 2007-12-03 at 05:36 AM.

  13. #53
    Here's how it works on the Mac:

    1. Download MACalc-0.0.6.tgz
    2. Double-click on MACalc-0.0.6.tgz (OS X expands this into MACalc.app)
    3. Mount iPhone through SSH or AFP
    4. Drag MACalc.app to /Applications on the iPhone
    5. Tap on MACalc on the iPhone and it just works

    So my suggestion would be:

    Get a Mac
    Come visit AlohaSoft

  14. #54
    Armadillo

    What is the status on your skin for the calc? Are you going to release it thru repository?
    Can't wait to get in on my phone =)

  15. #55
    This is a great calculator. There is also an hp calc emulator floating around the google code repository. here is the link:
    http://code.google.com/p/hpcalc-iphone/

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to iphoneguy2007 For This Useful Post:

    NetMage (2007-12-03)

  17. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by win1fight2 View Post
    Armadillo

    What is the status on your skin for the calc? Are you going to release it thru repository?
    Can't wait to get in on my phone =)
    MACalc with Armadillo's skin can be downloaded from web.newsguy.com/marcio/iphone/macalc

  18. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    So my suggestion would be:

    Get a Mac
    Not that Windows is great, but I need it.

    More update:

    I decided to try the version with your skin (MACalc-0.0.6-armadillo.tgz).
    Now it behaves differently than the original skin version. This time, I get to the calculator screen, and then it crashes back to springboard.

  19. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by nutiu View Post
    Not that Windows is great, but I need it.

    More update:

    I decided to try the version with your skin (MACalc-0.0.6-armadillo.tgz).
    Now it behaves differently than the original skin version. This time, I get to the calculator screen, and then it crashes back to springboard.
    Most likely file permissions are not properly set.
    Make sure MACalc and vibrator have execute permission set.
    Also make sure MACalc.app directory have execute permission set

  20. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by buzios View Post
    Most likely file permissions are not properly set.
    Make sure MACalc and vibrator have execute permission set.
    Also make sure MACalc.app directory have execute permission set
    Still no go. The calculator screen would come up and then in about 3-4 seconds, it goes back to Springboard.

    Here are permissions:

    From /Applications

    drwxrwxr-x 2 root admin 1292 Nov 26 19:56 MACalc.app/
    drwxrwxr-x 33 root admin 1122 Sep 20 08:41 Maps.app/

    Inside MACalc.app/

    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 146608 Nov 30 18:00 MACalc*
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 8508 Nov 23 03:11 click.aiff*
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 14562 Nov 23 03:11 error.aiff*
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 2820 Nov 26 03:35 icon.png*
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 9164 Nov 19 02:12 vibrator*

  21. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by nutiu View Post
    Still no go. The calculator screen would come up and then in about 3-4 seconds, it goes back to Springboard.

    Here are permissions:

    From /Applications

    drwxrwxr-x 2 root admin 1292 Nov 26 19:56 MACalc.app/
    drwxrwxr-x 33 root admin 1122 Sep 20 08:41 Maps.app/

    Inside MACalc.app/

    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 146608 Nov 30 18:00 MACalc*
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 8508 Nov 23 03:11 click.aiff*
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 14562 Nov 23 03:11 error.aiff*
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 2820 Nov 26 03:35 icon.png*
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 9164 Nov 19 02:12 vibrator*
    I have no idea of what could be causing it to crash.
    You do have a bunch of b_xxx.png files and a display.png file in

    MACalc.app directory don't you?

    Can you start MACalc from a shell and post the last message displayed on the shell?
    You should see something like:
    CalculatorApp applicationDidFinishLaunching
    MasterView initWithFrame
    FloatView initWithFrame
    IntegerView initWithFrame
    ConfigView initWithFrame
    MasterView canHandleSwipes

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to buzios For This Useful Post:

    nutiu (2007-12-05)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •