Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Solena PDFViewer for IPhone/IPod Touch

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lightbulb Solena PDFViewer for IPhone/IPod Touch (UPDATED)
    Currently I'm working on a lighter(and hopefuly better) revision of PDFViewer 0.3 by James Milne and NerveGas. you can find it at : solena - Google Code
    right now it's in beta stage and very usable (at least for my needs).

Improvements :

* Supports navigation by page number (little book icon on the navigation bar)
    * Supports landscape
    * Integration with mobile finder (Double tap on PDF files would open them with Solena)
    * Remembers most recently used PDF settings (open last pdf file from last page number,offset and zoom)
    * Remembers all previously opened PDF settings.(NEW in 0.3)
    * Supports opening of large files
    * Some little improvements

Sorry about the unfriendly way of installation, specially integration with mobile finder.
    please note that tapping on Solena icon on springboard would open the most recently used pdf file from the last page with last configurations and if you didn't open anything yet,the application will display the open window which you can select files from MobileFinder.

UPDATED
    Added another icon for opening files inside Solena without the need to close it, also it remembers all pdf settings.
    Also in this version manual integration with mobile finder is optional.
    PLEASE NOTE THAT format of settings has changed since 0.1,so please remove com.dpasdar.projects.Solena.plist from your Preferences directory (/var/mobile/Library/Preferences) before updating.
    Last edited by dpasdar; 2008-05-16 at 04:02 PM. Reason: version 0.3

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpasdar For This Useful Post:

-V-O-Y-A-G-E-R- (2008-05-22), benne (2008-05-16)

Looks good. Will you add some other way to open pdf files? For me it would be very nice if you could have your whole pdf library within the app so i dont have to close this and open mobile finder every time i need another pdf.

Edit:
    And maybe i should have read your webpage before making a comment =)

This is the first big improvement to the PDF Reader, thank you! Once you implement a file browser I'll use this a lot, as it can open and navigate much larger files than Safari can handle.

Default Blah, noobish I know, but
    How do I get the app on my iPhone?

Thanks for the app. I tried it out, but it is so NOT smooth that I just can't use it. When will this app be ironed out so that it's as smooth as the other PDF apps?

thx. I've been waiting for improvements to this

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    to raptorjr,DaveiPhone:
    I've added some way for that,please see and tell me your opinion.
    The reason why I've sticked to mobile finder is because of categorizing which is a way to organize my big PDF library by categorizing them using directories and subdirectories. There's no clean way to list them in a single list.

to martyrmachine:

I think the I've seen some instructions on the googlecode.

to thundar
    thanks for your time anyway.this must be due to the fact that it's still in beta version.I hope you like the changes in new version.

to loujob
    glad you like it,please update to latest version (and delete the plist file as I've noted)

Really great app!!!! Are you planning to add a search function? Also MobileFinder is a bit slow, so what do you think about an integrated filebrowser like in ruBooks or an option to integrate with PDF/CHM/DOC/XLS/photo viewer. Just dreaming

10. The Following User Says Thank You to benne For This Useful Post:

ripped53 (2008-05-20)

But....when will there be a smooth-as-butter version?

If i am using 1.1.2 ver should i put the pdf files so i can open them through Solena? Now it just closes back to SB when i press open.

i have the same issue..everything is installed correctly correct permisions no plist in var/mobile/library/preferences, but still just shows startup screen and quits back to springboard...what gives?

EDIT: i believe i have figured out my issue, i am on fw 1.1.4 and this application when installed belongs to root, but it needs to belong to mobile...so when i get home later I will test this out and see if that will fix my problem and report back
    Last edited by benison_123; 2008-05-20 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to benison_123 For This Useful Post:

alessio13 (2008-05-25)

Seem to be having the same crashing issue, tried different permissions and owner (root or mobile) but it still crashes after starting. I'm on 1.1.4 by ziphone by the way. Still, thanks for the app!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    to ntetreau,benison-123 :
    I'm sorry you've had this issue, but unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce your situation. In my opinion the only two problems that can result in such behavior are :
    1.not properly deleting the plist file(look in both /var/mobile/library/preferences and /var/root/library/prefernces).
    2.not correctly granting >755 to Solena file in Solena.app. maybe you should check it out in mobile finder (file properties).

Also see if you can start the application with double tapping PDF files on mobile finder.
    Please inform us of any progress...

Working..great, thank you dpasdar.

Here are 2 guiding lines on how to improve Solena.

1. Add "Find" feature
    2. Take care of zoom feature. Ie. double tapping should zoom to fit at both screen orientations

iPhone? More like MyPhone Southie's Avatar
    Thanks

Default App. won't open files
    I haven't been able to open any files yet after the initial installation. I followed all installation steps as described, and I get a dark screen every time I try to open a file (whether using Solena or MobileFinder), and then it goes back to springboard.

There's no .plist under Preferences and all permissions are set to 755; I'm running on 1.1.1.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdar View Post
    to ntetreau,benison-123 :
    I'm sorry you've had this issue, but unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce your situation. In my opinion the only two problems that can result in such behavior are :
    1.not properly deleting the plist file(look in both /var/mobile/library/preferences and /var/root/library/prefernces).
    2.not correctly granting >755 to Solena file in Solena.app. maybe you should check it out in mobile finder (file properties).

Also see if you can start the application with double tapping PDF files on mobile finder.
    Please inform us of any progress...
    Finally got it going, thanks for your help and this great app! Can't wait for the double-tap = zoom and smooth move/zoom. Thanks again!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Any chance of this making it to installer any time soon? I've been waiting on a more functional PDF/document viewer.

help!!

to make solena work, where should i put "pdf:com.dpasdar.projects.Solena"? Where is exactly this file association section of MobileFinder settings located?

Thanks again to dpasdar for his nice work. Any clues if Solena or something similiar will be available for 2.1?

Your app was my fave on 1.1.4 and the only reason I didn't update to 2.1 - until the software crashed and I had too. Could you please please update your app? I didn't find a useful (and mighty - big files) 2.X PDF-reader up to now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast