Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iRadio

Quote Originally Posted by GravityEyes View Post
    Dave - would you be so kind to be a bit more specific as to what you are doing (e.g. what files are you editing??????)
    More specifically: Copy the app to your computer. If you open the iRadio package (on a Mac), or directory (on a PC), there's a file called "iRadio" that is the actual application. Open that in a Hex editor, search for the string "Ambient" and replace it with the string "Classic" (for example). Save it. Install it on the iPhone. Run it. The stations will still be the old ones. Click the Refresh button and wait. You'll see the list updated (in my example) with Classical and Classic Rock stations. Exit iRadio. Relaunch it. It should now work. Hope that helps.

Note that this is a HACK. It's not what the author intended, just something I figured out. He does plan to add genres, favorites, and lots of other features.
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 2007-11-11 at 08:40 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveiPhone For This Useful Post:

devlinrandom (2007-11-13), mopplecrump (2007-11-13), SupahDave (2007-11-13)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Stealth1029's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ninepins View Post
    this is kick ***!!

...but yeah. Here's to a broader selection.

F&@$& great though!!!
    I agree, it needs more genres and variety. I'm getting tired of ambient music.

I did the "Hack" and replaced Ambient with Pop and got a bunch of Pop/Top 40 stations. YeeHaw!!

Major thanks for the developer and DaveiPhone!!

Yes, thanks Dave ....

Changed to 'College' and now have a nice eclectic selection of college stuff :-P

Hmmm, hoping the developers are modding this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    More specifically: Copy the app to your computer. If you open the iRadio package (on a Mac), or directory (on a PC), there's a file called "iRadio" that is the actual application. Open that in a Hex editor, search for the string "Ambient" and replace it with the string "Classic" (for example). Save it. Install it on the iPhone. Run it. The stations will still be the old ones. Click the Refresh button and wait. You'll see the list updated (in my example) with Classical and Classic Rock stations. Exit iRadio. Relaunch it. It should now work. Hope that helps.

Note that this is a HACK. It's not what the author intended, just something I figured out. He does plan to add genres, favorites, and lots of other features.
    Thanks, "Country" worked perfect

Did the little hack to, and now I get precious, precious Metal stations! No more manual tuning, woot! Excellent find Dave. =D More than deserving of a thanks in my opinion.

I pick a station and the iPHone reboots sometimes.

If I plug in headphones it reboots everytime.

Is their a way to fix this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by timliora; 2007-11-13 at 09:24 AM.

I had to use a Hex editor as it crashed using notepad. i think it needs the same amount of characters as `ambient` so i used `euro ` (with 3 spaces at the end) it works, this is what ive been waiting for. THANKS

So using the hack seemed to have worked great...for a while. After about an hour of flawless music, for some reason my phone rebooted. When I went back into the app it kept rebooting on me every time I clicked a station after that. =( I knew other people had reported having a look at the Stations.plist before, but I decided to take a look for myself. It was binary, so I converted it to text here. After that I poked around a bit, and I figured out how to manually edit a couple of stations in...sorta. It's not exactly any easier than the hack, barely more reliable, and it's far more time consuming, but it is an alternate way of doing things if you have no luck with the hack. All you have to do is replace a few entries for the station ID and the station description in the plist, and you're good to go.

I'll give a quick example. Open up your textified Stations.plist with an editor, I recommend Notepad2, and find the following entry.
    Nirwana Radio
    audio/mpeg

I'm pretty sure what we're looking at here, is 128 for the bitrate, Nirwana Radio for the description, the stream type, and our most important piece of info, the station ID. To find the ID of a station you want, hit up Shoutcast.com and find yourself a station. Try to make it a station that is an mp3 stream with a 128 bitrate if you're going to change this entry. I'm a Windoze user, so I was in IE and once I had found my station, I just right clicked the yellow button marked tune in, and hit copy shortcut from the pop-up menu. I pasted that into a seperate Notepad, and got something like the following:

http ://w ww. shoutcast.com/sbin /shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=720175&file=filename.pl s

What you're interested in, is the number sequence before &file, in this example 720175. Now that you have that, go back to your open plist file in Notepad 2 and the entry I pasted above with Nirwana Radio. Replace the integer entry 456639 with your new number, for this example 720175.
    After that, go back to Shoutcast and grab the description...for this example, it's "SnakeNet Metal Radio - Home of the Metal Nation (REQUESTS ARE BACK!) ". Copy that from Shoutcast and paste it over the integer entry "Nirwana Radio".

After you're done, just save the plist and upload her into your iRadio.app folder on your phone. I recommend saving the original someplace in case something goes wrong, as it very likely will! lol I've added my two favorite metal stations to the list this way, but it seems to have bugged out on me at three for the moment. It won't load with that third entry, but I'm working on it. It's late and I've had no sleep, so I'm partially blaming that. haha Anyway, try to pick entries to edit that have the same bitrate and streamtype as the stations you're replacing them with. It might help. DON'T hit refresh in the iRadio app, as that wipes your edited plist and replaces it with the original. Instead reboot your phone.

It's not a quick process, but there it is, for what it is. Best of luck and if you can use this as a base to discovering a much more organized method, please do. By the way, I only discovered this used Shoutcast through Dave's hacking method. I just happened to notice the URL when poking through the app with the hex editor. So, thanks yet again Dave. =)

Screener for the heck of it.

Last edited by devlinrandom; 2007-11-13 at 01:59 PM.

devlinrandom:
    When I first started messing with this, I was hoping to just directly create my own station list by editing the plist, but after playing with it for awhile, I realized that the plist that is in the application bundle is only being used for display. The author is caching the station list somewhere else, though I never determined exactly where.
    I found this out by using my hack and then saving the resulting plist(s) to my computer, so I had several sets, Classic, Pop, Talk, Eclecti etc. Swapping those lists (without doing a refresh or changing the genre string) and restarting the program does result in a different list being displayed, but it didn't change the station being played. I noticed too that sometimes a station will play perfectly for awhile, then it will stutter and crash the phone. I think these are program bugs, where the method being used to stream is not robust enough to handle errors and interruptions, but it's hard to know for sure. I'm happy enough to use it as is for now, warts and all. =)
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 2007-11-13 at 05:21 PM.

Once all the functionality is implemented into this program, this will be one of the top apps for the iphone. Even as it stands it's pretty damn good (now that DaveiPhone figured out how to change the preset).

If we could just keep the thing from rebooting the iPhone all the time.

I haven't had the problem of it rebooting my phone but it does lock up once in a while and I have to keep pressing the Home button for several seconds at a time to get it to kick back out to the springboard.

Now if Apple had just put a god damn 3G chip in there rather than restricting it to the Edge network this program would be THE must have app for iphone...

It seems to me things work best with this app if you do them in a certain order. Once the iPhone boots up I run iRadio, pick a station and wait a few minutes to make sure its streaming ok. Once there are no skips due to low bandwidth I plug in the headphones and wait. The audio on the headphones will be low but moving the volume down and waiting..then up again and waiting will give you all the volume you need...very loud.

If you don't touch anybuttons...volume...refresh..or anything else during the first steps it works perfectly. If you have a problem and get sent back to the home screen don't run it again..reboot first or the problems will get worse

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

if i dont hit the home button, I have no issues with the most recent version. however, it seems like it's fairly processor/battery intensive, and the phone tends to get pretty warm.

I tried using the hacked version again, which is far more convenient than editing the plist. It goes well for a while, and as someone else mentioned, doing things in a certain order seems to make the app play nicer (hacked or not), but in the end my hacked version always ends up in the neverending reboot cycle. =( Maybe, or probably, because Metal isn't seven characters long. I've gotten up to four custom stations going now by editing the plist, but it reminds me of the first ringtone hack method for 1.1.1, as it does seem to be iffy about which order you can replace stations. Plus, editing the plist seems to cause the app to crash to Springboard fairly often, or just flat out refuse to play any of the stations without manually rebooting or quitting and reopening the app several times. That's equally as annoying. I guess for now it is what it is, and that's a beta to a program that holds extremely awesome potential. For now, I'm just going to go back to using streamer and the CLI. I'm an old Linux user, so I shouldn't b*tch about having to use command line. Plus, using streamer, when I hear a song I love and am not familar with, I get to see what it is. That's a huge plus to me, and the most glaring feature missing from the GUI version.

Newest versions and updates for iRadio are here.

http://subband.com/~mewse/iRadio.tgz

Gotta use Winrar on this file.

Ambient music is the best! It really encompases the most progressive genre fusions: Downtempo, tribal, breakbeat, psychedelic, lounge, world, ethnic.

I am experimenting with adding Genres to the iRadio. There's a version you can
    download, it's a bit unstable, due to bugs in the parser, but it does work. You can always download latest from : http://66.135.228.38/~mewse/iRadio.tgz

There's a bit of manual installation involving scp / ssh involved, but I am sure you'll
    figure.

- developer of the iradio

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mewza For This Useful Post:

Pntbllfrk (2007-11-17)

Great! This new version can switch Genres and has more variety than I could explore in a lifetime! Still needs more development, but this is a huge leap forward. Some stations play back at the wrong sample rate (in fast forward, like chipmunks), but very useable. Thanks!

I'm loving the new update! Thank you for all your hardwork Mewza. This is quickly becoming my must have app.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast