Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FRING VOIP Launch

Quote Originally Posted by moontan View Post
    while it connects to skype, google talk, MSN, etc with no problem, it does not let voice get routed to a bluetooth headset.

i've also noticed that when connected it heats up the top of the phone to an uncomfortable level.

anyone else notice this?

or maybe you could just upgrade to 1.1.4......lol

Haha mabe, but I love 1.1.2. It seems to run very smooth for me, with the exception of Fring, and custom keyboards. Also there is alot of older software that does not work so well in 1.1.4 and 1.1.3.

With regards to heat. I get that from talking too long on the iphone flat stick. After conversing for over an hour, the unit, while in my pocket, radiates alot of heat. I also noticed Wifi usage can cause this heat too. I found turning the unit off, while on the phone, can help, or leave the iphone in a well ventilated place, ie, not your pocket, otherwise heat tends to accumulate.

Hope they resolve the 1.1.2 bug, otherwise, this beats MobileChat out of the water, in terms of reliability. I have been online with it for over 3 hours now, and as long as I do not initiate any voice communication, the program is rock solid, and works on Edge even while the unit is turned to standby off mode.

MAzor

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

does voice communication work yet
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

i noticed that skype wont load contacts if your account isnt loged in on your pc also. am i right? anyone else have that problem? i was able to make calls, chat etc etc but soon as i turned pc with skype off and restarted fring it wouldnt load skype contacts.

Nope it works fine for me. skype is off on my mac and im still able to use fring on my iphone.

Yup it works without skype enabled. This was the same with the Symbian Version S60. I am waiting for the voice feature s to work in 1.1.2. and mabe in the future bluetooth headset support.

MAzor

Yes because there isn't already a thread called "FRING VOIP Launch." Well done.

Oh found another bug. When a message comes in at th esame time while music player is playing, the program will pause the music, and you have to resume it manually with every message received. Also sometimes when this interuption occurs, it will cause Fring to crash to springboard.

rule of thumb so far is to not use the music player while using fring.

MAzor

anyone has this prob? after you install it and use it, anything else you want to download from installer, download package error after uninstall fring, installer works again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tome76 View Post
    anyone has this prob? after you install it and use it, anything else you want to download from installer, download package error after uninstall fring, installer works again!!!
    It seems Fring does use a bit of memory, and Installer also requires a bit of memory. Make sure you hit the exit button on Fring before you load up installer, otherwise random errors can occur in installer.

Hitting the home button, one you start up fring, sends it to the background, which is very kool as you now can receive messages from you IM clients when unit is in standby or when you are in Springboard.

I am quite impressed with this beta. The only gripe I have, is that voice communication does not work in 1.1.2 firmware iphone.

And the reason I run 1.1.2 firmware i that I like to change my root password frequently, and also like working as root without having to mod alot to get ti working. Also I like how my icons cannot be moved around easily unless I use the customize app, hehe. Also I heard that 1.1.3 has not as good reception as 1.1.2

Mazor

ok guys, i am having a hard time trying to figure out how to use the calling feature. what voip service can i use for free?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by tridluu View Post
    ok guys, i am having a hard time trying to figure out how to use the calling feature. what voip service can i use for free?!?!?
    To use any of the calling features, remember for this beta of fring you must have 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 iphone firmware

MAzor

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

skype doesnt work for me and im on 1.1.4
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Skype works for me for chatting, but not for voice. Actually nothing works for voice communication with 1.1.2.

MAzor

I am on 1.1.4.

SkypeOut and SkypePro both work (I am calling landlines) while I am connected to Wifi.

Also Gizmo VoiP works, while I am connected to Wifi.

MSN chat also works.
    Locked 1.1.1 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.1 --> Upgraded to 1.1.2 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.2 --> Upgraded to 1.1.3 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.3 --> Upgraded to 1.1.4 --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 1.1.4 with zIphone --> Jailbroken + Unlocked 2.0.2 with QuickPwn
    Network - Vodafone GR
    Call In/Out - Working!
    Youtube - Done!
    SMS/Edge/GPRS/Wi-Fi - Working!

I had trouble creating fring accounts. so i tried with 2-3 different IDs and one of them worked. In my haste, I forgot to remeber which one worked!! Any way to retrieve which ID worked & if i wish to change my fring ID, is it possible? Please excuse me if I sound to naive.

hi guys, i dont know if this was covered already and i dont wanna read through all these pages. but where would i by chance go to get a SIP or SKYPE account?

thanks for help

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thegermy For This Useful Post:

hrvoje (2008-05-30)

Quote Originally Posted by jheekee View Post
    I had trouble creating fring accounts. so i tried with 2-3 different IDs and one of them worked. In my haste, I forgot to remeber which one worked!! Any way to retrieve which ID worked & if i wish to change my fring ID, is it possible? Please excuse me if I sound to naive.
    You may be able to retreve the ID from Fring.com Email the people there. If you registered Fring with a valid email address, both ID and password can be automatically emailed to you.

Changing your existing ID on Fring.
    I have not tried this, but you could uninstall and reinstall the fring program. Have you tried that?

I have noticed on the Nokia S60 versions when you first install it, it automatically creates a user ID for your fring account which correlates to your phone number on your SIM card, including country code, etc.

Mazor

Quote Originally Posted by thegermy View Post
    hi guys, i dont know if this was covered already and i dont wanna read through all these pages. but where would i by chance go to get a SIP or SKYPE account?

thanks for help
    For a Skype account, have you tried going to Skype,com??

you should download the PC client first, then setup a user and password. Then afterwards, register skype inside fring.

Mazor
    Last edited by mazor; 2008-04-18 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I installed this sofware, it's great when it works, I called UK several times and the sound quality is not bad at all, except it starts to drop in and about every few seconds after a few minutes of conversation.

Also, it seems to drain the battery really fast, I had FRING in background while my phone was in standby mode (fully charged), the battery went to by almost half after 12 hours, on another occasion, the battery was also fully charged, I left the pone in standby mode for about 24 hours, and my battery went red, anybody else notice any difference with the battery usage after installing FRING?

It seems Fring connects to a gateway "db.useful-apps.com" and all traffic (Skype, MSN, SIP ...) flows via that gateway.

It is a nice app but I still want to see a native SIP client talking directly to my SIP service provider without any intermediaries.

Quote Originally Posted by cmyk328 View Post
    I installed this sofware, it's great when it works, I called UK several times and the sound quality is not bad at all, except it starts to drop in and about every few seconds after a few minutes of conversation.

Also, it seems to drain the battery really fast, I had FRING in background while my phone was in standby mode (fully charged), the battery went to by almost half after 12 hours, on another occasion, the battery was also fully charged, I left the pone in standby mode for about 24 hours, and my battery went red, anybody else notice any difference with the battery usage after installing FRING?
    With regard to the battery drain. What you are experiencing is normal. Having GPRS continuously accessing, and with standby mode, which in this case is really just screen off mode, will drain the battery to half easily after 12 hours.

Not only will Fring change the standby of the iphone to just screen off, but also iMAP Idle program will too. If the iPhone falls into true standby, the GPRS connection will stop, and incoming messages, will not be able to come through. Hence loss of connection.

Imagine the upcoming 3G iPhone, will require a lot bigger battery, as 3G power requirement is more than double that of GPRS, or 2.5G!!

MAzor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast