Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dedicated centralized repository

Lightbulb Dedicated centralized repository
    After struggling with 100+ installer sources I got an idea - why not make a single repo where devs can upload their packages?

Imagine this:
    A single source in installer. No dupes, no unresponsive sources, no mess in categories.

All apps are tested before being released online and put into corresponding category. Or, there could be "temp" category with yet not tested apps.

This would take the load off the devs - they won't have to maintain their own repos, it would decrease traffic too.

For users it would be a blast - single source (added on installation) and no worries!

Such server could run on donations, for example.

So, do you think it's possible? Pirate AppStore!

Thanks

I think you over-estimate the amount of people who are prepared to donate
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    I think you over-estimate the amount of people who are prepared to donate
    maybe. It could be a subdomain of some iPhone-related site. Like modmyi.

Quote Originally Posted by jacensolo View Post
    iappcat.com
    not at all what I'm thinking about. Appcat only aggregates apps and sources into one. Selected apps and sources. If there is a new source you wouldn't know it, and if source dies - no more apps from there.
    Last edited by asmodeus_dhoine; 2008-03-26 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iAppCat is the best direction I can think off.
    With your idea, it's possible however, I don't think anyone would want to wait half an hour for their installer to refresh all the apps our developers have made. iAppCat lets a user add their own sources.

If you want a single repository that filters duplicated sources (can be easily done), however with updates to fresh and dead sources (could probably done by pinging each source). After a number of sources and user, it can be a load on a server. But for it to be able, so users can add their sources, it would have to be "open". What stops someone "abusing" the service?

It doesn't have to be open; devs could use special upload folder (not accessible via installer).

How would you decide someone is a dev? Did you mean an existing repository owner?

What's in it for me? I am mostly happy with MMi...
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Agree how can you determine is a dev? If you don't want to deal with 100+ sources. Use iAppCat to just pick the ones you like.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

or we could all just convert to cyida which is 9999 time faster then installer
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
    or we could all just convert to cyida which is 9999 time faster then installer
    But doesn't have anything we need. I'm getting sick of you Cydia noobs.

Quote Originally Posted by wePhone View Post
    But doesn't have anything we need. I'm getting sick of you Cydia noobs.
    It doesnt have anything be cause of you noobs who are 'too good' to use it, so nobody bothers converting to it. That and people are so freaking lazy.....