Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PDF storage and reader

Default PDF storage and reader
    I'm sure you hear this question a lot, but I just wanted to know if it's possible to transfer pdf files to your iPhone and then read them.

I'm aware of the fact that you can read pdf files from the internet but I would much rather have them on my iPhone.

Anyone?

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by larsen100 View Post
    I'm sure you hear this question a lot, but I just wanted to know if it's possible to transfer pdf files to your iPhone and then read them.

I'm aware of the fact that you can read pdf files from the internet but I would much rather have them on my iPhone.

Anyone?

Thanks
    There's two ways,

1: email the PDF to yourself as an attachment and download the email with your iPhone. You'll be able to view the PDF as an attachment in its native format and it'll stay on your iPhone til you delete it.

2: There's a program (sorry I don't recall the name but you can search) which will attach the PDF as a bookmark in Safari. Next time you sync, the PDF will be loaded as a bookmark on your iPhone where you can read it anytime through Safari.

You can transfer files via SSH (search SSH), and you can use mobile preview (Installer.app) from mobile finder (Installer.app).

EDIT: beat to the punch!!! It sounds like your suggestions is easier and more streamlined.

2: There's a program (sorry I don't recall the name but you can search) which will attach the PDF as a bookmark in Safari. Next time you sync, the PDF will be loaded as a bookmark on your iPhone where you can read it anytime through Safari.

That sounds a lot cooler. I'll try to find that one too
    Last edited by Phisherman; 2007-10-03 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    You can transfer files via SSH (search SSH), and you can use mobile preview (Installer.app) from mobile finder (Installer.app).
    I tried that, my mobile preview didn't work for PDF's. Do you need to add a filetype?

I don't think so, it kinda just worked for me as I recall but i'll take a look at my mobile finder.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phisherman For This Useful Post:

larsen100 (2007-10-03)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post

That sounds a lot cooler. I'll try to find that one too
    Found it, it's called Filemark Maker.

http://www.insanelygreattees.com/news/?p=51

This is only for Mac though. If you have a PC, go here for manual directions...

http://pimm.wordpress.com/2007/07/18...l-attachments/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

larsen100 (2007-10-03)

Thanks guys.
    I'll look into these suggestions!

So I tried the Filemark Maker and that worked like a charm. Awesome!
    This is probably not doable but I have a lot of books in pdf. Some of them with like 4000 (yes 4000) pages. I tried Filemark Maker with these pdf´s but it seemed like it choked on the size.

Any solutions for large pdf files?

Another question:

If I would use the mobile preview then what file in Iphone should I put the pdf in?
    Last edited by larsen100; 2007-10-03 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Thanks guys.
    I'll look into these suggestions!

So I tried the Filemark Maker and that worked like a charm. Awesome!
    This is probably not doable but I have a lot of books in pdf. Some of them with like 4000 (yes 4000) pages. I tried Filemark Maker with these pdf´s but it seemed like it choked on the size.

Any solutions for large pdf files?

Another question:

If I would use the mobile preview then what file in Iphone should I put the pdf in?
    For stuff that large, I convert em to text or html and use "Books" from installer.app

Also, it looks like you can run an Apache installation on the iphone, then put the PDFs on with SSH, and point safari at the local page to view them offline (http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2665). Haven't tried it yet, but might tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    For stuff that large, I convert em to text or html and use "Books" from installer.app
    HOw do you convert pdf to text or html and what would you recommend, text or html?

Thanks
    Last edited by larsen100; 2007-10-03 at 07:30 PM.

I just tried the method I mentioned above (but went with lighthttp instead of Apache) and it works a treat! Was able to move a PDF I had put on there previously into the ~/Sites folder, and access it via 127.0.0.1

And because it is via Safari, you are able to switch to landscape (I know 1.1.1 can do this in Mail too, but I assume if you are here you are not running 1.1.1!).

Only problem with this system is that I didn't get a directory listing if I just specify a folder URL (once I delete/rename the index.html of course), so I need to know the filename. I'll have to fiddle to see if I need to turn this on in a config file somewhere.

Thanks

HOw do you convert pdf to text or html and what would you recommend, text or html?

Thanks
    You can use Adobe Acrobat to export to either format. Which format depends on personal preference. You can make html look pretty (Books reads full HTML format). I just use txt and save the different chapters into their own subdirectories. That way, it actually reads like a book. And you can still change the colors and font in Books itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    You can use Adobe Acrobat to export to either format. Which format depends on personal preference. You can make html look pretty (Books reads full HTML format). I just use txt and save the different chapters into their own subdirectories. That way, it actually reads like a book. And you can still change the colors and font in Books itself.
    That's amazing, now one final question:
    Once I have converted my large pdf file to html or txt how do I get it into my ebooks app?

Thanks

That's amazing, now one final question:
    Once I have converted my large pdf file to html or txt how do I get it into my ebooks app?
    SFTP to your iPhone and create a folder called 'EBooks' (case sensitive) in your home MEDIA folder. Copy the files to there, that's where Books looks for the files.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

larsen100 (2007-10-03)

Quote Originally Posted by cazlar View Post
    I'll have to fiddle to see if I need to turn this on in a config file somewhere.
    Sorry about replying to myself, but if anyone is interested in this, to turn on directory listings you need to edit the lighttpd.conf file (in /usr/local/etc/ IIRC) to add
    Code:
    dir-listing.activate = "enable"
    and also add
    Code:
    "mod_dirlisting"
    in the module listing alongside the "mod_cgi" (separate with a comma).

Restart the phone (I guess you could just restart lighttpd if you wanted) and you can browse your pdfs :-)

Edit: And you could probably style the directory listing via CSS (there's an option to enable this) to get something that looked very pretty on the iPhone. I'm crappy at CSS though.
    Last edited by cazlar; 2007-10-11 at 07:34 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cazlar For This Useful Post:

larsen100 (2007-10-03), MiLK_MD (2007-10-11)

Thanks a lot.
    I have searched everywhere on the web for this info.
    You guys are awesome!!!

One final question:

Is it possible to search for specific words in a pdf document on the iPhone? NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL (and really useful)!!
    Last edited by larsen100; 2007-10-03 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What we really need is an acrobat reader for the iPhone. I'm surprised no one has stepped up with an app like that as there has been plenty of talk about PDFs and lack of a good reader. I'm exactly like you, I've got tons of PDF books and would love to be able to just read and search and bookmark just like in a real pdf reader.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by princebrand View Post
    What we really need is an acrobat reader for the iPhone. I'm surprised no one has stepped up with an app like that as there has been plenty of talk about PDFs and lack of a good reader. I'm exactly like you, I've got tons of PDF books and would love to be able to just read and search and bookmark just like in a real pdf reader.
    Problem is Apple won't release an SDK so it would be very difficult to do any serious programming for the iPhone, like a full fledged PDF viewer for example.

Wrong - the devs have an SDK that they built and can use coding tools for the mac for the iphone - correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
    Wrong - the devs have an SDK that they built and can use coding tools for the mac for the iphone - correct me if I'm wrong
    Ok, let me put it another way. Apple did not release an SDK for the iPhone. Happy?

I guess for any programs we want, we should just ask the devs team to do it for us? How bout it devs? can you make us a PDF viewer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast